Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 08:02 AM

723 posts, read 1,046,732 times

Advertisements

I used to be Catholic as a child, and I was just wanting to get a few things cleared up!!! I am new to this Universalism. Before I got on this forum, I had never heard of it!! Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds to me like Catholicism!!! I don't want to hear the answer Catholics don't believe everyone will be saved!! They believe in purgatory!!! But nobody in the world, if in a "REAL" purgatory, would turn down the opportunity to be saved!!! I just wanted to know, what are the differences in the two???? What makes them seperate???? And what exactly do Universalists believe??? I am just curious, like I said, it is new to me. I just want a little info!!!

GOD BLESS!!!
ALMOST2L8
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2009, 08:39 AM

1,139 posts, read 1,776,747 times
Being in purgatory, IS NOT A SECOND CHANCE. If you are in purgatory, you are already saved. You are only be purged of cleansed of sins still on your soul, before going to heave. For nothing unclean shall enter into heaven

You really should research what Catholics actually believe.
Try this
CATHOLIC ENCYCLOPEDIA: Purgatory

Old 08-26-2009, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNick View Post
Being in purgatory, IS NOT A SECOND CHANCE. If you are in purgatory, you are already saved. You are only be purged of cleansed of sins still on your soul, before going to heave. For nothing unclean shall enter into heaven

You really should research what Catholics actually believe.
Try this
CATHOLIC ENCYCLOPEDIA: Purgatory
So only the already saved go to purgatory???
Do you believe that the pope is the vicar of Christ???
Do you believe that if confessed, your sins can be forgiven by a priest???
Do you believe that the Vatican is the supreme authority???
Just some questions!!!

GOD BLESS!!!
ALMOST2L8

Old 08-26-2009, 09:04 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,521,759 times
Almost..We have some really great and teaching, learning threads here by our Chistian bohers and sisters wih those beliefs on both Universalism and Caholicism..You may find all your answers there..

Old 08-26-2009, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Blue View Post
Almost..We have some really great and teaching, learning threads here by our Chistian bohers and sisters wih those beliefs on both Universalism and Caholicism..You may find all your answers there..
Thank you, miss blue. I will look for them.

GOD BLESS!!!
ALMOST2L8

Old 08-26-2009, 10:10 AM

7,874 posts, read 14,187,542 times
It's interesting that of the 6 known theological schools in early Christendom, only the Romans believed in eternal torment. They were busy starting Catholicism.

Old 08-26-2009, 10:21 AM

8,182 posts, read 6,934,946 times
The belief that God does what He says he is doing.
That Jesus is the saviour of ALL Mankind.
As in Adam, ALL die... so in CHRIST,ALL Live.
Every knee shall bow...
He is the GOOD shepherd, not one will be lost.
He is LOVE.
He is long-suffering towards us.

It is a revelation of truth. When you get the revelation, God pulls you into the deeper meanings of so many things in the bible and you feel like you previously had blinders on when reading certain passages. Suddenly, things come to LIFE and the puzzle pieces that before you tried to force together, now come together so beautifully. What is on the wide road to destruction is all of our dross, our false beliefs, etc. God is not destroying His beloved human beings, He is destroying what needs to be destroyed. What needs to be burned OFF.

For me, I discovered this beautiful truth, just with my KJV bible and His love guiding me. I had a near nervous breakdown worried about even one person being annihilated or tortured forever, even the worst person I could think of in this world, even my enemies. It was quite a journey. Then later, after I was absolutely convinced and secure in what He was showing me, I looked for and found others who had the same revelation of our Father... and found sources such as tentmaker, etc. which is a wealth of info.

Here are some good resources:

www.tentmaker.org

Unique Proof For Universalism

100 Scriptural Proofs That Jesus Christ Will Save All Mankind

Christian Universalism: Universalist Thought Through Church History

Now mind you, not all people who believe in this good news (gospel) agree on everything. This is life afterall... but the core belief that is shared is the finished work of the cross. Meaning ALL, eventually will be reconciled to GOD. We believe in His majestic, beautiful plan for ALL.

Is this to mean that "oh I can live as I want, I am still 'saved'" Of course not. When you FINALLY uinderstand just how much GOD loves you, then your OLD carnal self starts to dissipate and you start to put on the mind of Christ. We will always struggle while in this flesh. But the main reason people GO THEIR OWN WAY is BECAUSE they do not know and understand the love of the Father. Because the only REASON they go their own way, is because they are LOOKING for something they haven't found yet. Once they find it (God) then their eyes are opened and they find what they have been looking for. So the question of "Oh you are telling people they can just do what they want..." is actually nonsensical in a way. Because they don't see the whole picture.

Don't rely on MANKIND.
Ask Father to bring you to truth.
Keep your heart open...
And see how "destruction" brings life... not death.
And see how His love will make your heart grow like never before...
where you can actually LOVE your enemies, because you see them as you see yourself. Perfect love casts out all fear. This is a key to knowledge.

Peace..

love,
sparrow

Old 08-26-2009, 10:44 AM

6,370 posts, read 7,035,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALMOST2L8 View Post
I used to be Catholic as a child, and I was just wanting to get a few things cleared up!!! I am new to this Universalism. Before I got on this forum, I had never heard of it!! Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds to me like Catholicism!!! I don't want to hear the answer Catholics don't believe everyone will be saved!! They believe in purgatory!!! But nobody in the world, if in a "REAL" purgatory, would turn down the opportunity to be saved!!! I just wanted to know, what are the differences in the two???? What makes them seperate???? And what exactly do Universalists believe??? I am just curious, like I said, it is new to me. I just want a little info!!!

GOD BLESS!!!
ALMOST2L8
I used to be Roman Catholic as a child but know very little about it as I hardly attended services then. So I will let others answer for regarding Purgatory. But as for Universalism, it was the doctrine taught by Christ. Of course that is argued by others here but their doctrines can't stand up to scripture where as Universalism can.

As a universalist, I believe that Jesus came to destroy the works of the devil which is sin. And that means at some point sin can no longer exist - ANYWHERE - not even in a place that mainstream adherents call "Hell". If there is no sin then there cannot be sinning and thus sinners. So if sin is ultimately destroyed there cannot be some eternal rebellion in a place for eternal torment. The very fact that Jesus comes to destroy sin turns other doctrines into a house of cards that comes collapsing down. Many of the references you will find to "eternal" or "everlasting" are at the heart of the debate since many translations interpret the word "aionios" as such. Universalist have come to believe that "aionios" does not specifically mean "eternal" or "everlasting". Even Universalists have mixed ideas about what AIONIOS means. To me it is an adjective that refers to a continuing point. Something that continues beyond the age and doesn't refer to the end point at all since that is concealed from our view. As a Universalist, I see the word punishment (kolasis) as a curtailing and if the curtailing event were forever then a curtailment would never occur. Universalism sees the destruction spoken of in many verses as a destruction of the "old man" in each of us that is burned away or totally annihilated and is a reference to the fleshy nature which will cease to exist.

Hope this helps.

Paul

Old 08-26-2009, 12:42 PM

63 posts, read 101,455 times
Quote:

GOD BLESS!!!
ALMOST2L8
https://www.city-data.com/forum/chris...ml#post2691641

Old 08-27-2009, 10:04 PM
juj

1,657 posts, read 2,634,387 times
Quote:
So only the already saved go to purgatory???
Do you believe that the pope is the vicar of Christ???
Do you believe that if confessed, your sins can be forgiven by a priest???
Do you believe that the Vatican is the supreme authority???
Just some questions!!!

GOD BLESS!!!
ALMOST2L8
1) Yes, consider purgatory as the foyer to heaven. An airlock of cleansing, if you will.
2) Yes, that has been true since Peter was given the Authority by Jesus Himself to run His Church. All succeeding popes retain that name through that same Authority passed on by Apostolic Succession.
3) Sins are forgiven by God with the help of a priest. Sins are not forgiven by a priest, which of course, is a common misconception of non-Catholics.
4) The Magisterium of the Catholic Church is the supreme authority. Location, the Vatican.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity