Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2010, 10:49 AM

2,725 posts, read 5,193,125 times

Advertisements

Hello my fellow Catholics. I was born and raised a Catholic but left the church when I moved away from home. I married a non-Catholic and baptized my daughter in the Orthodox church. We have decided to teach my daughter (still a toddler) the Catholic faith but I don't want it taught the same way it was taught to me. In other words, I would not only be raising my daughter as a Catholic, I would be raising myself as one all over again.

So my question to you is, other than the Bible, where should I start? I want to know why the church and mass are organized the way they are as opposed to the way other denominations are organized. Also, there is a Roman Catholic church and a non-Roman Catholic church nearby my home. Would I find them to be very different? I guess I need to step into the second church to find out

I have decided to do this because of what I read by fellow Catholics on this forum.

Last edited by crisan; 06-21-2010 at 11:49 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2010, 02:01 PM

5,493 posts, read 7,346,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisan View Post
Hello my fellow Catholics. I was born and raised a Catholic but left the church when I moved away from home. I married a non-Catholic and baptized my daughter in the Orthodox church. We have decided to teach my daughter (still a toddler) the Catholic faith but I don't want it taught the same way it was taught to me. In other words, I would not only be raising my daughter as a Catholic, I would be raising myself as one all over again.

So my question to you is, other than the Bible, where should I start? I want to know why the church and mass are organized the way they are as opposed to the way other denominations are organized. Also, there is a Roman Catholic church and a non-Roman Catholic church nearby my home. Would I find them to be very different? I guess I need to step into the second church to find out

I have decided to do this because of what I read by fellow Catholics on this forum.
Having taught 6th grade catechisis, it's my belief that the best education for young kids is from the parents.Too many parents just dump the kids off a religion class.

Share your love for Christ. And teach them as only you know how.

There is plenty of time down the road to educate your child regarding the complexities of Catholic teaching.

Old 06-21-2010, 02:37 PM

9,693 posts, read 10,030,708 times
Ask the Friar or Priest if they can help you and your family in the faith of Spiritual renewal to the Holy Spirit, The Church that helps you with Spiritual Renewal than that the place to be. Glory to God.....

Old 06-21-2010, 02:37 PM

4,437 posts, read 4,870,467 times
Some churches have programs for returning Catholics, you can always sit in on the program most churches have for those that want to become Catholic as a refresher course.

Usually the non-Roman Catholic Church does not accept the authority of the pope., it may be conservative or more likely progressive in matters of birth control, women priests etc.

Even within the Roman Catholic Church you will find both conservative and progressive parishes which will color your preception of the Church depending on which one you will attend..

Old 06-21-2010, 02:55 PM
juj

1,657 posts, read 2,634,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisan View Post

In my opinion, you should confirm that you are getting the Christian truth from the right source by first learning the history of the early Christian Church starting from Matthew 16 in the Bible, read the Early Church Fathers and see what they believed. Learn how and when the Mass began to take form.

I believe once you understand that Jesus created ONE Church and Jesus gave her the Authority to determine truth, and no other man-made church has the same Authority, then and only then, will you fully trust what the Church teaches. If you don't trust the Church and it's Authority, then how can you possibly trust it's truth, plain and simple.

Here's a web site of Early Church Father's writings:
CHURCH FATHERS: Home

Here's a site about the Mass:
Biblical Evidence for Catholicism: Church Fathers and the Sacrifice of the Mass

Here's a great Catholic Apologetics Site:
Catholic Answers: Catholic Apologetics, Catholic Evangelization, Catholic Teachings, Catholic Radio, Catholic Publishing, Catholic Truth

Summary Information:
http://www.catholic.com/library/pillar.asp (broken link)

So again, learn why and what Church has the truth, and THEN learn the Truth that it teaches.

Good luck in your spiritual journey and may the peace of Christ be with you.

Last edited by juj; 06-21-2010 at 03:08 PM..

Old 06-21-2010, 03:00 PM

1,139 posts, read 1,776,878 times
Also, apart what the others said, I might suggest going through RCI classes. Having been apart of them for years, I tell you it would be a great refresher course of Catholic Doctrine for you. And welcome back.

Old 06-21-2010, 05:01 PM

2,725 posts, read 5,193,125 times
Great advice and some of you I can't rep again. Thank you all and, Juj, I will start from there.

Old 06-23-2010, 07:18 PM

360 posts, read 444,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNick View Post
Also, apart what the others said, I might suggest going through RCI classes. Having been apart of them for years, I tell you it would be a great refresher course of Catholic Doctrine for you. And welcome back.
Seconded! Welcome home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity