Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 04:20 PM

1,242 posts, read 2,464,794 times

Advertisements

I didn't want to derail another thread, so I bring this question up in another thread.

I would argue that it is impossible to be Catholic and be pro-abortion at the same time. The two are polar opposites. The act of practicing the Catholic faith goes against the act of ever supporting the murder of the innocent unborn.

Old 04-17-2009, 05:03 PM

783 posts, read 1,329,022 times
Abortion is contrary to Christian principles. Unfortunately, it seems a vast majority of Christians do not follow Biblical principles or have a Christian worldview. Does this mean that they are, or are not Christians? We know that only the Lord knows the heart and will deliver judgment.

As Christians we can only engage those who don’t follow God’s word in an effort to show them their error in a kind loving way. Then comes the difficult part – we must be ready and willing to be corrected in those areas that we stray from Biblical principle and Gods word.

Old 04-17-2009, 05:20 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,795,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronK View Post
I didn't want to derail another thread, so I bring this question up in another thread.

I would argue that it is impossible to be Catholic and be pro-abortion at the same time. The two are polar opposites. The act of practicing the Catholic faith goes against the act of ever supporting the murder of the innocent unborn.
Why not?

Nobody can be a perfect catholic.

Because those who call pro-choice catholics uncatholic are uncatholic themselves. First, catholicism forbids abortion, it goes on to forbid accusation and finger-pointing and then it goes on to forbid several other sins. Nobody's perfect.

Several catholics are pro-choice. It does not mean they necessarily go against catholicism. Strictly speaking, it does, in concept. But will they totally pull out of the church and communion? No way.

Catholicism is like a cake. The members take as many slices as they can take. The rest, they are free to leave it untouched.

Old 04-17-2009, 05:33 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,444,802 times
I had this debate, and the possible end of a friendship, with an acquaintance on this very topic. He is a hard-line Catholic, who is actually in his mid-30s, and who has all the "right" bumper stickers on his car. Needless to say, there are very few extreme right-wing Catholics under 40, from what I've seen.

I am generally against abortion. I'm not comfortable with it, from the standpoint that it ends life. However, I belief that "life" had to have been put in place by consensual relations. If someone's free will is violated in the process, then I think she needs to get to the doctor immediately, have this taken care of, and should not be made to carry the fetus. On top of this, think of how much therapy the person will need. Very sad. How about the spin that a Catholic can be against abortion, but in favor of it when extinuating circumstances prevail? That's my take. And I'm ok with the "moral relativism" the Church is worried about....oh brother...

Old 04-17-2009, 05:56 PM

4,511 posts, read 7,534,659 times
am i really belonging somewhere in a global community appearing to be run or rather driven by such spineless but powerful and elitist "players"?

feeling way beneath any purpose and meaning, waiting for leaders to let me have an opinion, but no responsibility of any relevance ...

it was very ok. to leave that church ... it's not so easy to leave that atmosphere of power mongering, anywhere on this planet.

nowhere does christendom show its decadent face in such a disappointing way ... which is called "organized".

nationality has nothing to do with it anymore.

(imho)

btw. the vatican objects to caroline kennedy (as to others before her) as emissary to the holy see.

Old 04-17-2009, 06:21 PM

17,966 posts, read 16,018,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronK View Post

That's like asking, Can one be a Catholic and sodomize little boys like so many Catholic priests have done, are doing and will continue to do? And they go to confession, confess their sins and so are protected and go right back to their innocent little kiddies to rear end 'em over and over.

My oldest brother's two boys were victimized by their priest and the diocese in Columbus Ohio didn't do a darn thing about it. They are a bunch of freakin hypocrites! Save the babies from abortion so the priests can sodomize and molest them so the children grow up to commit suicide later in life.

Old 04-17-2009, 06:28 PM

Somebody needs a chill pill

Old 04-17-2009, 09:28 PM

1,139 posts, read 1,780,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colossus_Antonis View Post
Why not?

Nobody can be a perfect catholic.

Because those who call pro-choice catholics uncatholic are uncatholic themselves. First, catholicism forbids abortion, it goes on to forbid accusation and finger-pointing and then it goes on to forbid several other sins. Nobody's perfect.

Several catholics are pro-choice. It does not mean they necessarily go against catholicism. Strictly speaking, it does, in concept. But will they totally pull out of the church and communion? No way.

Catholicism is like a cake. The members take as many slices as they can take. The rest, they are free to leave it untouched.
Sorry but Catholicism is not like a cake. You cannot take want you want and reject others. Catholics must accept the teachings of the church. Once you reject an essential teaching, you cease to be Catholic, and become a Protestant that goes to a Catholic church.

Sorry but part of being Catholic is accepting the teaching authority of The Church.

Old 04-17-2009, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNick View Post
Sorry but Catholicism is not like a cake. You cannot take want you want and reject others. Catholics must accept the teachings of the church. Once you reject an essential teaching, you cease to be Catholic, and become a Protestant that goes to a Catholic church.

Sorry but part of being Catholic is accepting the teaching authority of The Church.
I cannot agree more.

But we can keep telling this in theory. But the laity as a whole has changed the doctrine into slices of cake, which they take as they choose and like.

Practically, on the ground, the catholics of today, a fair share of them are pro-choice.

There simply is no way they will be made to change their stance and the church authority cannot simply impress upon them, despite the amount of lecturing during countless sunday sermons.

Abortion need not be blown out of proportions so much so that it needs a schism.

The only schism I see fit and I personally think was justified was the Eastern-Western schism of the 10th century. The rest are usurpers.

Old 04-17-2009, 10:17 PM

89 posts, read 248,184 times
I don't know anyone who's pro-abortion. Personally, I'm pro-choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.