Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 09:21 AM

2,802 posts, read 6,432,974 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MemphisMeantime View Post
I don't know anyone who's pro-abortion. Personally, I'm pro-choice.
Replace "abortion" with "rape".

"I don't know anyone who's pro-rape. Personally, I'm pro-choice."

Good to know you're not in favor of forcing people to have abortions. How thoughtful of you...

Old 04-30-2009, 10:48 AM

4,655 posts, read 5,073,559 times
Ultimately, this thread was questioning if a catholic can be pro-abortion. The pope has declared it to be a mortal sin...there is no argument about this if you're a catholic.

If you want to be pro-abortion, don't call yourself catholic. It's that simple.

Old 04-30-2009, 11:23 AM

1,139 posts, read 1,776,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
Ultimately, this thread was questioning if a catholic can be pro-abortion. The pope has declared it to be a mortal sin...there is no argument about this if you're a catholic.

Old 04-30-2009, 11:58 AM

4,440 posts, read 9,074,184 times
ahh the "Pro-Choice" equates to "Pro-Abortion" argument...

Declaring that someone have a choice in something does not equate the declaring person to be "pro" anything. Sorry it doesn't work that way.

I'm pro-choice when it comes to religion. If you want to worship a blindfolded penguin with a gimp wing.. so be it. Thats your choice. By giving you that choice it doesn't mean in any way that I want you to worship a blindfolded penguin with a gimp wing.

I think.. just my opinion here.. that probably in the next 5-10 years there will be concessions from each side of the issue. The issue seems to have both sides actually speaking intellectually to each other instead of just shouting insults.

The thing is.. the religious right (whatever religion) has got to find a way to remove any sense of "religion" from the abortion discussion. Most Americans don't give two cents what the Pope has to say on the issue.

Old 04-30-2009, 12:11 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,103,614 times
Quote:

bravo and well said .

Old 04-30-2009, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthirsty View Post
ahh the "Pro-Choice" equates to "Pro-Abortion" argument...

Yup. And there is no counter-argument to it.

If you believe that it's something that can be decided by the individual person then you believe it is not intrinsically wrong.

If you are "pro-choice", then you are "pro-abortion" and you cannot be catholic.

Deal with it--either give up one or the other.

Old 04-30-2009, 12:45 PM

4,437 posts, read 4,870,467 times
Quote:

If you believe that it's something that can be decided by the individual person then you believe it is not intrinsically wrong.

If you are "pro-choice", then you are "pro-abortion" and you cannot be catholic.

It is not for you to decide who is or who isn't a Catholic.

Deal with it.

Old 04-30-2009, 01:40 PM

1,139 posts, read 1,776,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ted08721 View Post
It is not for you to decide who is or who isn't a Catholic.

Deal with it.
It's not, it's for The Church, and KBrich is right

Old 04-30-2009, 01:56 PM

4,440 posts, read 9,074,184 times
Quote:

Except for the argument I provided in the rest of my post you didn't quote. So by "there is no counter-argument" I'll just assume you know there is one.

No I don't believe it to be "intrinsically wrong" in certain instances. Thats right. And? It still doesn't mean I'm for people to do it.

For instance.. I'm pro-choice when it comes to guns. However, I don't wish for everyone to go out and get a gun. Its really easy logic to follow.

So far I've proved my argument using blindfolded penguins with gimp arms and I've proved it with guns.

Deal with it.

I'm not Catholic but from my understanding if the Pope believes it to be wrong then I'm not sure a person can be "pro-abortion" whatever that is.

However, they could vote representatives in place that are pro-choice.

boom goes the dynamite.

Old 04-30-2009, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthirsty View Post
Except for the argument I provided in the rest of my post you didn't quote. So by "there is no counter-argument" I'll just assume you know there is one.
Ya know...I'm not even catholic. But I can tell you that to be catholic, you are subject to the pope. He calls the shots. No ifs, ands, or buts about it.

He has said abortion is evil. That's just the way it is. You can try to justify it any way you want--but to do so means going against the leader of your church. That's just the way it is.

I'm sorry....I don't like fake people. If you're going to claim to be catholic--then be catholic. Don't try to have your cake and eat it too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.