Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 11:26 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,631,123 times

Advertisements

I have been reading from one of my favorite devotional books today and wanted to share a few verses about "gentleness" that I searched for..to ease and comfort my spirit that has been so troubled lately.

2Timothy 2:24 Gods servant must not be quarrelsome, but be gentle to all men, patient and a good teacher..

James 3:17 The wisdom that comes from above is first of all pure, gentle and easy to be entreated, full of mercy and good intent, without partiality and without hypocrisy...

Proverbs 11:17 The merciful man does good to his own soul, but he that is cruel troubles his own flesh...

Proverbs 15:1 A soft answer turns away wrath, but grievous words stir up anger...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2009, 11:33 AM

4,346 posts, read 6,654,815 times
No No No! Don't be nice and try to makes friends with the dumb heathen. I thought we were supposed to "give 'em hell" now so they can be saved from hell for eternity

Thanks a lot! Those verses you gave just undid everything I learned on the https://www.city-data.com/forum/chris...esus-rude.html thread Plus now DOTL might have to shut down her tent revival.

Old 01-15-2009, 11:39 AM

8,989 posts, read 14,640,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstborn888 View Post
No No No! Don't be nice and try to makes friends with the dumb heathen. I thought we were supposed to "give 'em hell" now so they can be saved from hell for eternity

Thanks a lot! Those verses you gave just undid everything I learned on the https://www.city-data.com/forum/chris...esus-rude.html thread Plus now DOTL might have to shut down her tent revival.

You do realize those "dumb heathen" as you put it are our family and friends and it hurts our hearts every night as we cry and pray for them that the Holy Spirit will convict them and welcome them to the flock.

Thank you Miss Blue, we should be gentle, just because we don't agree doesn't mean we should think ill will of one another.

Old 01-15-2009, 11:45 AM

4,346 posts, read 6,654,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
You do realize those "dumb heathen" as you put it are our family and friends and it hurts our hearts every night as we cry and pray for them that the Holy Spirit will convict them and welcome them to the flock.
Forgive my sarcasm. I'm just still trippin' on my good buddy DOTL's "give 'em hell" strategy. I'm sure if you are trying to win your family then you must being doing what you feel is most effective. I do agree with DOTL that being tough and forward has it's place - it's just not a 'one size fits all' strategy IMO.

PLUS being gentle to all does not make someone a fence sitter or a lukewarm pacifist. Sometimes a soft word is the sharpest instrument.

Old 01-15-2009, 11:50 AM

8,989 posts, read 14,640,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstborn888 View Post
Forgive my sarcasm. I'm just still trippin' on my good buddy DOTL's "give 'em hell" strategy. I'm sure if you are trying to win your family then you must being doing what you feel is most effective. I do agree with DOTL that being tough and forward has it's place - it's just not a 'one size fits all' strategy IMO
No problem. I understand where you are coming from. I don't like the concept of hell any more than you do.

Old 01-15-2009, 12:09 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,180,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Blue View Post
I have been reading from one of my favorite devotional books today and wanted to share a few verses about "gentleness" that I searched for..to ease and comfort my spirit that has been so troubled lately.

2Timothy 2:24 Gods servant must not be quarrelsome, but be gentle to all men, patient and a good teacher..

James 3:17 The wisdom that comes from above is first of all pure, gentle and easy to be entreated, full of mercy and good intent, without partiality and without hypocrisy...

Proverbs 11:17 The merciful man does good to his own soul, but he that is cruel troubles his own flesh...

Proverbs 15:1 A soft answer turns away wrath, but grievous words stir up anger...
Wonderful!

I've been reading in Proverbs. So much wisdom.

It's good to see you.

Old 01-15-2009, 12:10 PM

5,261 posts, read 7,704,123 times
Quote:

Thank you.....Miss Blue! Beautiful scripture...

Old 01-15-2009, 01:07 PM

3,978 posts, read 8,587,979 times
Absolutely, gentleness is what we should be cultivating, but that does not exempt the use of the word of God to correct the erring.
We cannot put our arm around the shoulder of one who is in error, here on these threads. We can only attempt to correct them by the written word.
The way the hearer accepts it determines whether they think it is 'gentle' or not.
No matter how much love we feel toward the erring, if they take offense at our attempt to correct their error, that is not our fault.

" Listen to councel and recieve instruction, That you may be wise in your latter days. " Proverbs 19:20

" Rebuke a wise man, and he will love you. Give instructions to a wise man, and he will still be wiser; Teach a just man, and he will increase in learning. " Proverbs 9:8b-9

" The ear that hears the rebukes of life will abide among the wise. He who distains instruction despises his own soul, but he who heeds rebuke gets understanding, The fear of the Lord is the instruction of wisdom, and before honor is humility. Proverbs 15: 31-33

" Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path. Psalms 119:105

Old 01-15-2009, 01:08 PM

9,732 posts, read 4,086,214 times
Quote:

To everything there is a season, A time for every purpose under heaven:
A time to be born, and a time to die;
A time to plant, and a time to pluck what is planted;
A time to kill, and a time to heal;
A time to break down, and a time to build up;
A time to weep, and a time to laugh;
A time to mourn, and a time to dance;
A time to cast away stone, And a time to gather stones;
A time to embrace, And a time to refrain from embracing;
A time to gain, And a time to lose;
A time to keep, And a time to throw away;
A time to tear, And a time to sew;
A time to keep silence, And a time to speak;
A time to love, And a time to hate;
A time of war, And a time of peace.
ECCLESIASTES 3:1-8

The time is short.

Old 01-15-2009, 01:12 PM

1,439 posts, read 3,898,597 times
There is something so beautiful in a gentle soul. Thank you Blue for this thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity