Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2007, 11:38 PM

436 posts, read 1,176,412 times

Advertisements

Please share with me your understanding of the Holy Spirit, and its effect on your life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2007, 06:03 AM

10,295 posts, read 9,726,806 times
He is presented in the Bible as the Third Person of the Trinity! God purposes not only to save His people from their sins, but also to fill them with the Holy Spirit. While the Holy Spirit indwells every believer, yet God both offers and commands us to be completely filled with the Holy Spirit (Eph.5:18).
His affects in and on my life are:
He is my Helper (John 16:7). He helps me understand the truth about Jesus (John 16:14) and will apply the work of Christ to my heart. He encourages me (Acts 4:31), guides me (John 16:13) and illuminates the Scripture for me (John 16:14-15). He gives me power (Acts1:8), intensifies the love of God in me (Rom. 5:5), and helps me in prayer (Rom.8:26). He enables me to reflect God's holy character (Rom. 8:13-14; Gal.5:22-23) and He strengthens my potential for Christian growth (Eph. 3:16).
He is a great big part of my life!!!

Old 12-16-2007, 06:00 PM

14,946 posts, read 17,296,624 times
CurlytheCosmo shared some very helpful references to the Holy Spirit's role in our lives. I understand God's Spirit to be God's presence living in me and working within me to live for Him. God bless.

Old 12-18-2007, 12:41 AM

2,741 posts, read 8,906,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothylogan3 View Post
Please share with me your understanding of the Holy Spirit, and its effect on your life.
Hmmm....I have to wonder if the few replies here is an ominous reflection: that many (most?) (including myself) of us know little about this wonderful person of the Trinity. Yes: person. The Holy Spirit is a person, not a "thing", an inanimate "force", a "quantity" of something (like you can be one-half "filled"), an "it", etc. The Holy Spirit is a person. And....He is here! On earth. With us! God, with us!
Jesus said that when He left, He would send the Comforter, the Holy Ghost. He indeed did come down to earth (Acts 2), and is still with us today.
He was present at creation:
Genesis 1:2
And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.
It is possible for the Holy Spirit to be either "with you", and/or in you. (or to leave you altogether...)
The Holy Spirit is supernatural, and has supernatural gifts. (1 Cor 12)
He has some of the qualities that we have: feelings, thought, senses (WAY beyond the 5 that we have), highest moral standards (love, forbearance, patience, etc)
All-knowing, all-powerful
Is Holy and pure
If you are FILLED with the Holy Ghost, you will KNOW it...no "guesswork" about it required...
He can be offended, grieved...
He is a spirit, not a body...you can't see Him visibly...
Is symbolized in the Bible as a dove, a rushing wind, fire, a cloud...
The ONLY unforgiveable sin is blasphemy against the Holy Ghost...
Is fully God, with Jesus the Son, and the Father
Is omni-present, everywhere...the only member of the Trinity present at ALL times on earth today....
Is the baptiser with the Holy Ghost....you can be baptised with Him! (you don't "have to", but you can...if you want to....)
When present with people, can evidence Himself with signs, such as instant healings, gifts of the Spirit in operation, etc
The above is just a sampling....I imagine a library could be filled about the Holy Spirit, who He is, what He does, where He ministers, etc...
I realize some may disagree with some of this, but thats ok, it's just what I have come to believe. There is much ongoing controversy about who the Holy Spirit is, what He does, and how He manifests Himself (or doesn't, for that matter) on earth today...

He is with us ALL the time, but when He wants, can make us aware of His presence. This reminds me of what happened to me in the summer of 1974: one day I felt particularly convicted of sin, of not following God, ignoring God, and this was very heavy on my heart. I had found an isolated spot on a beach, with nobody else around. The air was DEAD calm...not a breath of wind at all. I prayed and said outloud: "Dear God....I stand before you guilty of MANY wrongs. Please forgive me...". A very simple prayer, but I was sincere and meant it...
INSTANTLY (and I mean RIGHT NOW), a powerful wind came up off the water and blew directly in my face for maybe 10-15 seconds.....
whiiiiiisssssshhhhhhh!!!........then, just as quickly, it was gone. The rest of the day was entirely dead calm and quiet, as before the prayer. So...what was that breath of wind? Just a fluke? A freak coincidence? Why was it only there after I said that prayer? I have to wonder if that was the Spirit of the living God, letting me know my prayer had been heard!...
Ok...somebody else's turn now...goferit!

Bud

Old 12-18-2007, 03:38 AM

25,080 posts, read 16,366,224 times
Bud, I totally agree with your post and I don't think u should wonder if that wind was the Holy Ghost, I believe... The HOLY SPIRIT or HOLY GHOST is GOD in action. When Adam and Eve sinned the most important thing they lost was intimate fellowship with GOD the FATHER. GOD the HOLY GHOST was no longer present within man. They were spiritually disconnected from GOD, so HE could then only have an external relationship with humanity- the HOLY SPIRIT could come upon man from time to time as we read in the BIBLE, but not dwell within man because GOD is HOLY. Man kind had to be restored to fellowship and right relationship with GOD the FATHER. In essence, man lost the HOLY SPIRIT connection and the HOLY SPIRIT is who had to be restored. Therefore, Jesus, the Christ came to restore what man lost in the fall. HE was charged with the ministry of reconciliation through HIS atoning sacrifice. HE said it was manditory for HIM to leave (die on the cross...) so that the COMFORTER- GOD the HOLY SPIRIT would return to man. Jesus said this would be more beneficial for man than if HE had stayed on earth because as long as HE was present in bodily form HE was limited to what is common to man. However, the ONE (GOD the HOLY GHOST) HE was sending would not have any such limitations. GOD, the HOLY GHOST is the most important person in the earth today especially to born-again believers. "GOD is SPIRIT and those that worhip HIM must worship HIM in spirit and in truth." U cannot be born-again without the HOLY SPIRIT. Jesus said "you must be born again" not in the natural, but the rebirth HE spoke of was that of the SPIRIT. Now man can recieve in-filling of the HOLY SPIRIT again. Jesus told HIS disciples to wait until they received the promise, the HOLY SPIRIT so that they would be endued with power. And look what happened after they received the HOLY GHOST...The Church got started and has never stopped. I believe every Christian should be filled with the HOLY GHOST. Sometimes I think this is not the case, but no one can get saved without the HOLY SPIRIT. The SPIRIT is what draws a man. GOD the HOLY SPIRIT is GOD in action in the earth and in man. The word of GOD states that our bodies are the temple of the HOLY GHOST. How does GOD the HOLY SPIRIT work in my life today? Well HE is all...HE is my teacher, comforter, convictor, healer, friend, life giver, protector, gift giver, word confirmer and my keeper. HE directs my path and tells me of things to come. HE warns me and brings things to my memory. HE is my helper. HE is GOD!

Old 12-18-2007, 07:48 AM

3,162 posts, read 11,459,965 times
Holy spirit is vibration, cosmic omnipresent vibration, which creates everything.

recent advances in Quantum physics showed that all kinds of energy are vibrational, this knowledge made possible the discovery of devices like cell phones, wireless internet, radar, etc.

For Hindus, the holy spirit is know as the OM or AUM ॐ the omnipresent cosmic vibration of spirit responsible for creation.

All kinds of energy and matter emerge from this spirit.

The son of God, or God's reflected consciousness on the ॐ is what guides creation, the Christ consciousness, the intelligence responsible for regulating this world.

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

Last edited by Travelling fella; 12-18-2007 at 09:15 AM..

Old 12-18-2007, 08:00 AM

3,086 posts, read 6,286,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curlythecosmo View Post
He is presented in the Bible as the Third Person of the Trinity! God purposes not only to save His people from their sins, but also to fill them with the Holy Spirit. While the Holy Spirit indwells every believer, yet God both offers and commands us to be completely filled with the Holy Spirit (Eph.5:18).
His affects in and on my life are:
He is my Helper (John 16:7). He helps me understand the truth about Jesus (John 16:14) and will apply the work of Christ to my heart. He encourages me (Acts 4:31), guides me (John 16:13) and illuminates the Scripture for me (John 16:14-15). He gives me power (Acts1:8), intensifies the love of God in me (Rom. 5:5), and helps me in prayer (Rom.8:26). He enables me to reflect God's holy character (Rom. 8:13-14; Gal.5:22-23) and He strengthens my potential for Christian growth (Eph. 3:16).
He is a great big part of my life!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun queen View Post
Bud, I totally agree with your post and I don't think u should wonder if that wind was the Holy Ghost, I believe... The HOLY SPIRIT or HOLY GHOST is GOD in action. When Adam and Eve sinned the most important thing they lost was intimate fellowship with GOD the FATHER. GOD the HOLY GHOST was no longer present within man. They were spiritually disconnected from GOD, so HE could then only have an external relationship with humanity- the HOLY SPIRIT could come upon man from time to time as we read in the BIBLE, but not dwell within man because GOD is HOLY. Man kind had to be restored to fellowship and right relationship with GOD the FATHER. In essence, man lost the HOLY SPIRIT connection and the HOLY SPIRIT is who had to be restored. Therefore, Jesus, the Christ came to restore what man lost in the fall. HE was charged with the ministry of reconciliation through HIS atoning sacrifice. HE said it was manditory for HIM to leave (die on the cross...) so that the COMFORTER- GOD the HOLY SPIRIT would return to man. Jesus said this would be more beneficial for man than if HE had stayed on earth because as long as HE was present in bodily form HE was limited to what is common to man. However, the ONE (GOD the HOLY GHOST) HE was sending would not have any such limitations. GOD, the HOLY GHOST is the most important person in the earth today especially to born-again believers. "GOD is SPIRIT and those that worhip HIM must worship HIM in spirit and in truth." U cannot be born-again without the HOLY SPIRIT. Jesus said "you must be born again" not in the natural, but the rebirth HE spoke of was that of the SPIRIT. Now man can recieve in-filling of the HOLY SPIRIT again. Jesus told HIS disciples to wait until they received the promise, the HOLY SPIRIT so that they would be endued with power. And look what happened after they received the HOLY GHOST...The Church got started and has never stopped. I believe every Christian should be filled with the HOLY GHOST. Sometimes I think this is not the case, but no one can get saved without the HOLY SPIRIT. The SPIRIT is what draws a man. GOD the HOLY SPIRIT is GOD in action in the earth and in man. The word of GOD states that our bodies are the temple of the HOLY GHOST. How does GOD the HOLY SPIRIT work in my life today? Well HE is all...HE is my teacher, comforter, convictor, healer, friend, life giver, protector, gift giver, word confirmer and my keeper. HE directs my path and tells me of things to come. HE warns me and brings things to my memory. HE is my helper. HE is GOD!
Wonderful descriptions and evidence of knowing the Holy Spirit! There is no way we could walk as a Christian without this "abiding Comforter who guides us into all truth!"

Old 12-18-2007, 08:02 AM

35,845 posts, read 21,239,957 times
Default Holy Spirit

only thing that keeps me going...His presence

Old 12-19-2007, 09:59 AM

25,080 posts, read 16,366,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cg81 View Post
Wonderful descriptions and evidence of knowing the Holy Spirit! There is no way we could walk as a Christian without this "abiding Comforter who guides us into all truth!"
Wow... u r so right and what u have said is worth repeating: "There is NO way we could walk as a Christian without this "ABIDING COMFORTER" who guides us into all TRUTH!"

Old 12-20-2007, 01:25 PM

2,949 posts, read 5,513,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun queen View Post
Wow... u r so right and what u have said is worth repeating: "There is NO way we could walk as a Christian without this "ABIDING COMFORTER" who guides us into all TRUTH!"
The Holy Spirit is exactly what the scripture says. The Spirit of God. It is not a separate third person from God,it is God. The fact is the bible doesn`t talk about a trinity. There is one God Almighty period. Jesus is God`s son who came from the Father. Jesus is not the Father,the Father is not Jesus. The Holy Spirit is the same Spirit that filled Jesus.It is the Spirit of God. It is God`s presence. A person who was not indoctrinated by modern church or roman catholic doctrine would not read God`s word and conclude that God was 3 separate persons making up one person. They would conclude their was one God Almighty..the father...one son Jesus....and the Spirit of God who is God because the bible says God is spirit. Why..because the bible says exactly that. When i hear a person mention a trinity,that tells me they have been taught that by man. How do I know that? Because it doesn`t say that in the bible. The word trinity is man`s word. Man trying to theorize who God is. The bible plainly says who God is. Man came up with the trinity,it is taught in the seminaries and passed on to the congregation. Jesus didn`t say my Father and I are one and the same God. That is man trying to read between the lines or trying to read something else into scripture.Man just wants to add to God`s word. Just read the bible and loose all of your pre conceived man taught doctrines. Ask God to open your eyes to what his word says. Just try it. Try to read the bible and not be biased by what you have been taught by man or the church. Read it with a fresh outlook and an open mind and let God`s Spirit touch you. Don`t add words or theories to it that aren`t there. Just read it..plain and simple. Just my opinion of course
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity