Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 01:54 PM

3,086 posts, read 6,294,229 times

Advertisements

Just a quick thread without a lot of thought or preparation behind it.. (like most of my threads ) but I was wondering what your thoughts were on this subject.

In another post someone mentioned the the need for us Christians to show tolerance and an openness towards others' views. What are some pointers so we can all have good discussions, and how do we reconcile this with trying to "stand fast" in the Lord, not wavering in what we believe to be truth?
Hebrews 10:22 Let us draw near with a true heart in full assurance of faith, having our hearts sprinkled from an evil conscience, and our bodies washed with pure water.
23 Let us hold fast the profession of our faith without wavering; (for he is faithful that promised; )
24 And let us consider one another to provoke unto love and to good works
What are your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2008, 02:00 PM

479 posts, read 1,145,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cg81 View Post
Just a quick thread without a lot of thought or preparation behind it.. (like most of my threads ) but I was wondering what your thoughts were on this subject.

In another post someone mentioned the the need for us Christians to show tolerance and an openness towards others' views. What are some pointers so we can all have good discussions, and how do we reconcile this with trying to "stand fast" in the Lord, not wavering in what we believe to be truth?
Hebrews 10:22 Let us draw near with a true heart in full assurance of faith, having our hearts sprinkled from an evil conscience, and our bodies washed with pure water.
23 Let us hold fast the profession of our faith without wavering; (for he is faithful that promised; )
24 And let us consider one another to provoke unto love and to good works
What are your thoughts?
Tolerance is needed up to the point where Truth or Godly Love isn't being compromised. That's the gist of what Christ preached. Extreme passivity seems to be equated with "tolerance", however, it is not tolerance at all really - as it essentially is preaching anarchy - which doesn't allow for tolerance of anything other than what self desires.

My two cents.

Stephen

Old 02-08-2008, 02:03 PM

224 posts, read 415,656 times
like towards Jews and Muslims?

Old 02-08-2008, 02:06 PM

3,124 posts, read 4,958,070 times
Oh Boy!

It all comes down to I and belief messages. If you want to say you believe divorce is a sin, say that. Don't say "Divorce is sick and you are going to Hell". State it as your belief and why you believe it.

"I believe divorce is a sin because in the Bible it says...." If someone else comes back with a counterpoint (a different intrpretation or a whole different holy book) it does no good attack that person and say they are reading what they want to read, etc. Remember NO ONE has the truth. We all just have beliefs.

Old 02-08-2008, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simpleton View Post
Tolerance is needed up to the point where Truth or Godly Love isn't being compromised.
Good point... I might ask myself, "Am I intolerant of any other opinion than my own, or am I intolerant of something that I feel is a threat to my, or others', Christian life?".

Old 02-08-2008, 02:13 PM

224 posts, read 415,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lior Arel View Post
Remember NO ONE has the truth. We all just have beliefs.
Almost everyone who wants it has the truth its called the Holy Bible.

Old 02-08-2008, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lior Arel View Post
it does no good attack that person
I agree with this point. Our beliefs should be able to stand on their own, and be supported without attacks. We should check our attitude, and maybe what we are supporting, if we constantly find that we are having to resort to half-truths, misrepresentation and personal attacks.

Old 02-08-2008, 02:26 PM

479 posts, read 1,145,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cg81 View Post
Good point... I might ask myself, "Am I intolerant of any other opinion than my own, or am I intolerant of something that I feel is a threat to my, or others', Christian life?".
Yup. We also need to ask ourselves should we allow personal opinion to reign over Truth in our lives? Same goes for pride. Or anything that goes against the Word of God. If the answer to this is "yes." Then we really need to examine our walk.

Stephen

Old 02-08-2008, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simpleton View Post
Yup. We also need to ask ourselves should we allow personal opinion to reign over Truth in our lives? Same goes for pride.
The problem is sometimes we proudly think our personal opinion is Truth!

Old 02-08-2008, 02:35 PM

3,124 posts, read 4,958,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxGreyFalconxx View Post
Almost everyone who wants it has the truth its called the Holy Bible.
I believe the truth is located in all the holy books and religions of the world.

I'm not trying to take this thread off topic, but showing an example of tolerance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity