Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 08:59 AM

8,989 posts, read 14,574,644 times

Advertisements

Let's see who's makes more sense?

Fundamentalist way

Do you consider yourself to be a good person?

1) Have you ever told a lie?

2) Have you ever stolen anything?

3) Have you ever used God's name in vain?

Jesus said, whoever looks at a woman to lust
after her has already committed adultery in his heart

4) Have you ever looked with lust?

Jesus said whoever hates his brother has committed
murder in his heart.

5) Have you ever hated someone or lashed out in anger?

These are just a few of the commandments, a moral standard given to us by God, a moral standard God wrote in every man's heart because how do we know the difference between right and wrong? why do we have a conscious, where did it come from?

If you have broken those commandments then God sees you as a lying, thieving, adulterer, blasphemer, murderer so IF you meet God on Judgment day and judged by his moral standard/ the law, will you be innocent or guilty? will you go to heaven or hell?

The Bible warns that if you are guilty you will end up in hell, but that's not God's will because he has given us a way by sending his son Jesus to suffer and die on a cross for you. Jesus took upon himself the punishment/ wrath from God that was meant for you!

"For God so loved the word that he gave his only begotten son
that whosoever believes in him should not perish but have
everlasting life"

He rose from the dead and defeated man's greatest enemy, the penalty of our sinful state, DEATH!
You are in need of a savior because you are sinful, disobedient, wicked and you are not good, The Bible said, none of us are good not one only God is good, God said, all our good works are of filthy rags and only by God's grace will he allow us in heaven and that grace is his son shedding his blood for forgiveness of your sins.

Please, repent (turn from sin) today and trust in Jesus and God will grant you ever lasting life, then read your bible daily and obey it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2008, 09:05 AM

2,214 posts, read 5,581,906 times
I consider myself a good person. 'Good', as I'm sure you know, is relative. We can be good in our imperfect state without claiming equality with God. I try my best to obey God's commandments. I'm imperfect and I make mistakes. Anyone who says they haven't is of course, lying.

Our concscience is God-given true, but it must be honed and sharpened by faith and knowledge. Without that, our conscience becomes seared and we are quick to develop the standards of those that have a worldly attitude.

Repentance is key to our standing with God. I agree with that.

Old 10-15-2008, 12:24 PM

11,902 posts, read 3,715,839 times
Reformed Liberal,

I agree, we are all sinners and repentance and obeying gods commandments are called for. We are also to learn and follow Christ.

However ........... to whom much is given more will be required of that person. To those who have not been given much, they will not be required to give the same as the one who was give the most. It is relative on what you do with what you have been given.

Old 10-15-2008, 12:35 PM

11,902 posts, read 3,715,839 times
God wants the world to know of his love. If his messengers say that they love God and believe what Jesus says about love your enemies but do not show that love they have negated their message.

Actions speak louder than words.

Old 10-15-2008, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meerkat2 View Post
God wants the world to know of his love. If his messengers say that they love God and believe what Jesus says about love your enemies but do not show that love they have negated their message.

Actions speak louder than words.

Hee hee. I keep trying to give you rep points and it keeps saying I have to spread it around first! Doh!

Old 10-15-2008, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meerkat2 View Post
Reformed Liberal,

I agree, we are all sinners and repentance and obeying gods commandments are called for. We are also to learn and follow Christ.

However ........... to whom much is given more will be required of that person. To those who have not been given much, they will not be required to give the same as the one who was give the most. It is relative on what you do with what you have been given.
I am not trying to be funny. Please explain because isn't that what we are already doing in seeking righteousness?

What exactly do you mean?

Old 10-15-2008, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alicenavada View Post
I consider myself a good person. 'Good', as I'm sure you know, is relative. We can be good in our imperfect state without claiming equality with God. I try my best to obey God's commandments. I'm imperfect and I make mistakes. Anyone who says they haven't is of course, lying.

Our concscience is God-given true, but it must be honed and sharpened by faith and knowledge. Without that, our conscience becomes seared and we are quick to develop the standards of those that have a worldly attitude.

Repentance is key to our standing with God. I agree with that.

What verse is that?
because I distinctly remember Jesus saying, only God is good and God said, all our good works are like filthy rags. So how do you justify that you are good?

Old 10-15-2008, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reformed Liberal View Post

What verse is that?
because I distinctly remember Jesus saying, only God is good and God said, all our good works are like filthy rags. So how do you justify that you are good?

In the same way that I tell my son he's being good when he is minding me or sharing something w/ his brothers. None of can be good in the ultimate sense, the perfect sense, but we can all practice good works. And that is what I mean. It's the same 'good' that is mentioned in Luke 6:45 where it says 'a good man brings forth good out of the treasure of his heart'.

Old 10-15-2008, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alicenavada View Post
In the same way that I tell my son he's being good when he is minding me or sharing something w/ his brothers. None of can be good in the ultimate sense, the perfect sense, but we can all practice good works. And that is what I mean. It's the same 'good' that is mentioned in Luke 6:45 where it says 'a good man brings forth good out of the treasure of his heart'.
So then do you recognize that you are a vile, wretched, disgusting sinner in the eyes of God?

Old 10-15-2008, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reformed Liberal View Post
So then do you recognize that you are a vile, wretched, disgusting sinner in the eyes of God?

Absolutely not. He is my friend. My friends don't find me vile and wretched. I can't help the fact that I'm a sinner. It's inherited...and He knows this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity