Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Why do you witness to non-believers? (select all that apply)
God commands it 3 16.67%
I want others to know the joy of the gospel 6 33.33%
I want people to be saved 4 22.22%
God will bless me for bringing souls to Him 0 0%
I want people to be condemned by my testimony 0 0%
Lost souls are looking for what I've got 0 0%
I want God to use me to reach others 5 27.78%
Other reason (explain below) 0 0%
I don't witness to non-believers (explain) 3 16.67%
Just show me the results 5 27.78%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 09:11 PM

2,108 posts, read 2,893,378 times

Advertisements

There are surely countless reasons why those of you who witness to non-believers like me do it. Some of those reasons are more offensive and/or presumptuous than others. I added a poll to see what some of the more popular reasons are.

One group whose witnesses seems to defy logic is the Westboro Baptist Church, headquartered in Topeka, Kansas, where I live. I get to see them quite often witnessing on street corners in my town. I even work with one of their members at my place of employment. They are world infamous for protesting returning soldiers' funerals, and for their signs that say things that probably would not make it past this forum's moderator. They are particularly disliked for having their young children hold these hateful signs.

At first, they baffled me. Did they really think that they could get any converts through their hateful and disgusting signs? It turns out they know that they won't get any converts or people to "repent" due to their witnessing. They believe we are a dam*ed nation and all of us are going to h**l except for them. They claim to "witness" like the Old Testament prophets who delivered God's message of condemnation to the non-repentant Israelites just people God allowed some neighboring civilization to come in and thrash and destroy them. All of our country's woes are supposedly due to our acceptance of homosexuals.

Anyway, what is your main motivation for "witnessing"?

Last edited by Hueffenhardt; 08-05-2010 at 09:38 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2010, 09:18 PM

7,507 posts, read 4,397,713 times
LOL. I read the question wrong. I thought I saw "how" instead of "why". It's ok. Why? I guess it's kind of like, "I know the secret to pure joy and I want to share it with you" type of thing...But either way, Christians share for numerous of reasons, I think...Some witness because Jesus commanded us (the Great Commission). Some witness because of the love their people. Mine is through serving and praying. We all witness differently because everyone see things differently. At one point, people are going to ask me "why are you praying for me" or "why are you serving". You'll bound to share your faith with them whether they take it serious or not. But seriously, when the rubber meets the road, they'll know if you are serious with your faith or you're just "one of those".

Last edited by ho hey!; 08-05-2010 at 09:26 PM..

Old 08-05-2010, 10:23 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,548,187 times
I answered that I don't, but I suppose it depends on what "witnessing means." I don't go to non-believers and preach or testify or anything like that. Catholicism is a very big religion so I assume they have heard of it and if they want to no more they'll ask.

Still if you just mean mention you are of your religion, try/hope to be a good example of it, and defend it from attacks than maybe/hopefully I do that. Many of the terms used on these boards are rather specific to either non-theists or Evangelicals. I feel a bit out of the loop at times as I'm neither thing.

Old 08-05-2010, 10:39 PM

2,108 posts, read 2,893,378 times
Thomas,

Yeah, I meant testifying/preaching/proselyting or wearing one's religion on one's sleeve so to speak such that one is always talking about how wonderful their god is, etc.

I welcome the responses so far, but I would like many more.

Old 08-05-2010, 10:41 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,502,677 times
I do not witness with bible passages, threats, or assumptions about everyons sins. I spent years and years locked into a very fundamental , legalist type "church" by my h and his family, so I understand the pain, and the anger forceful "bible whipping" can do..

If a non believer asks about my belief, I will tell him..That's as far as it goes..I may or may not plant a seed of faith/belief in that person, only He and God will know that.

I do not believe in forcing my beliefs on anyone. If one wants to believe He must have a burning desire to seek God.

My walk with God has become a personal thing between Him and myself over the years...and I have found peace and satisfaction with that.

Old 08-05-2010, 10:45 PM

180 posts, read 262,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Blue View Post
I do not witness with bible passages, threats, or assumptions about everyons sins. I spent years and years locked into a very fundamental , legalist type "church" by my h and his family, so I understand the pain, and the anger forceful "bible whipping" can do..

If a non believer asks about my belief, I will tell him..That's as far as it goes..I may or may not plant a seed of faith/belief in that person, only He and God will know that.

I do not believe in forcing my beliefs on anyone. If one wants to believe He must have a burning desire to seek God.

My walk with God has become a personal thing between Him and myself over the years...and I have found peace and satisfaction with that.
Hello Miss Blue,

Wise words you speak. There is no need for fighting. We can only confess with what we believe, and hopefully we are right, and His seed is planted. God bless you.

Old 08-05-2010, 10:48 PM

1,577 posts, read 2,251,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hueffenhardt View Post
Thomas,

Yeah, I meant testifying/preaching/proselyting or wearing one's religion on one's sleeve so to speak such that one is always talking about how wonderful their god is, etc.

I welcome the responses so far, but I would like many more.
I am not a preacher, teacher, etc. Not by any stretch. But things just come up -- they just start asking questions. I rarely bring it up myself.

My next door neighbor suddenly started telling me how much she hated G-d and how stupid those who believe in Him are, and I just stood there, astounded. I hadn't said anything "religious," anything about G-d -- nothing. Where in the world does stuff like that come from?? But she was an anomaly.

Things just happen, normally, and someone says something.

Old 08-05-2010, 10:51 PM

4,309 posts, read 6,438,541 times
Because I want you to live.

Old 08-05-2010, 11:48 PM

5,965 posts, read 7,015,222 times
My only motivation for sharing my faith is to deliver people from the bondage of fear - to give people hope in a loving Creator. Sharing one's faith must be done with respect and care, not pounding on someone's door out of the blue or standing on a street corner screaming, but we should wait for God to open a door of opportunity and be ready to give an answer to anyone who inquires about the reason for our peace and hope.

Old 08-05-2010, 11:51 PM

8,166 posts, read 6,918,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post
My only motivation for sharing my faith is to deliver people from the bondage of fear - to give people hope in a loving Creator. Sharing one's faith must be done with respect and care, not pounding on someone's door out of the blue or standing on a street corner screaming, but we should wait for God to open a door of opportunity and be ready to give an answer to anyone who inquires about the reason for our peace and hope.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity