Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2008, 08:03 AM

1,244 posts, read 3,224,658 times

Advertisements

As the time approaches again, many families hold different traditions that they use to celebrate this time of year.

While I understand that there are many Christians, as there are non-Christians, that choose to not participate in this holiday time, there are those that do. I am wondering, what do you, as a family, do to keep the time as one that focuses on Christ (rather than Santa) and the celebration of His birth (rather than all the commercialized stuff it has become).

Here are some things that through the years my family has done.

1) Our Christmas cards are not about Santa, but contain a spiritual message about the true meaning of Christmas.
2) Attending Christmas Eve Candlelight Service at church as a family.
3) Time for the family to gather around the table, say a prayer for one another and blessing of the meal.
4) Reading about the birth of Christ in the book of Luke from God's word.
5) Reading the "Legend of the Candy Cane".
6) Going Christmas Caroling as a family with our church.

We often also do the reminder of the message of each of the Christmas symbols and what they mean or represent to us.

1) The Christmas Tree: Symbol of everlasting life. The cross. Jesus death and resurrection.
2) Christmas Lights: Represents Christ and how He is "the light of the world".
3) Star or Angel up top of tree: Represents either the star that pointed the wise men to Jesus or the Angel that told of Christs birth.
4) The manger (nativity set): Representing the biblical account of the wise men finding Jesus in the manger as they followed the star that led them to Him.
5) One gift under the tree on Christmas Eve for each person. Representing the one gift the wise men carried with them to bring to the baby Jesus.
6) A cake to celebrate Jesus birth: Represents the celebrating of His birth and the sweetness added to our lives in knowing Him.

A note on the cake: the first year we did this we lit a candle on the cake and sang Happy Birthday Jesus. However, when it came time to blow the candle, representing the light of Christ, we found not a one of us wanted to blow that light out. It was quite funny and touching at the same time. We ended up letting the candle run out on its own. Each year after that we have simply not added a candle to the cake.

When speaking of Santa Clause, we speak of St. Nicholas and how he gave to the children and the needy. We use this as an example of how we too should have a spirit of giving. Right before Christmas, it is a tradition in my home to go through our belongings and seperate things to take to the shelters for those less fortunate than we are. When the kids were little, we also helped feed the homeless.

I think this covers pretty much all but if I think of anything else I'll add it later.

So how about you guys that do celebrate Christmas time as a time to get together with family and share the true meaning of Christmas, any family traditions that you use. Perhaps there are some looking to start some traditions and they can gather ideas from the posts here or maybe we can read of one someone else has and choose to adopt it in our own families.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2008, 08:18 AM

3,978 posts, read 8,546,566 times
I am a Christian, but I do not observe 'Christmas' as Christ's birth. There is absolutely no scriptural basis to do so. Doing so is adding to the word of God.
I do not observe it as a special day at all... because, after you reject it due to it's unscripturalness, all you have left is it paganness!
Yes, it is a National Holiday, and I am wondering why, since the nation is not supposed to establish a religion. This holiday is based on two religions....Catholocism, and paganism. ( And no, I am not a JW.)

Since stores and businesses are closed for the day, I just stay at home and wait it out. I usually avoid TV ( for most of Nov. and Dec.)because it is all about 'this joyous season' !!!! I even avoid Wal Mart, because it is intent on making mechandise of the season. What a bunch of hog wash!

( Ducking more rock throwing!!)

Old 10-03-2008, 08:37 AM

142 posts, read 501,381 times
Being mindful of Advent as a preparation for Christmas and God's entry into the world as a baby.

Using something like Alternative Gifts International to give a poor community better drinking water or better health care as a way to acknowledge that hope should abound this time of year.

Making every effort to not participate in the consumerism this holiday has become. Although we do slip into it sometimes!

I refer to the secular celebration of December 25th as Xmas while retaining the title of Christmas for the season on the church calendar.

Old 10-03-2008, 08:40 AM

1,859 posts, read 5,025,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianinark View Post
I am a Christian, but I do not observe 'Christmas' as Christ's birth. There is absolutely no scriptural basis to do so. Doing so is adding to the word of God.
I do not observe it as a special day at all... because, after you reject it due to it's unscripturalness, all you have left is it paganness!
I don't really understand your mindset. The gospels clearly discuss Jesus' birth and the events surrounding it. How can you say the birth of Jesus is not 'a special day at all'? The savior of the world entered, and if you believe that Jesus is the messiah, how can that not be special to you? Granted, we don't know the 'exact' date, but nonetheless, I think it is worthy to remember it each year just as you remember your birthday each year.

Now I won't dispute that Christmas should not be more celebrated than Easter (which is the case in our country), b/c while the birth of the messiah is important, it would be meaningless w/out His death and resurrection.

Old 10-03-2008, 08:42 AM

3,570 posts, read 8,717,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mari4him View Post

So how about you guys that do celebrate Christmas time as a time to get together with family and share the true meaning of Christmas, any family traditions that you use. Perhaps there are some looking to start some traditions and they can gather ideas from the posts here or maybe we can read of one someone else has and choose to adopt it in our own families.
What a well-thought out post and thread. Thank you for this amazing thread. We too celebrate Jesus' birth, even though we're fully aware that it is not his actual birthday. It's a great way to recognize His birth into this world, the one He created.

Each year one of the first ornaments to go on the tree is a nail, like the one that pierced his on the cross. We remember that he died on the cross, made from a tree so that we could spend eternity with the Father.

We also do a birthday cake for Jesus, however we make a coffee cake and sing Happy Birthday before opening presents. We make sure the kids know about the real meaning of Christmas. Santa is known as St. Nicholas and that he was a beliver in Christ. The kids do believe in Santa to some degree, but we have always put much more empahsis on Jesus.

My five year old is not crazy about Christmas. He doesn't care for the entire Christmas season, but does enjoy getting presents on that day. His sister on the other hand is already watching Christmas movies.

Every Christmas Eve we read the account of Jesus' birth in the book of Luke. We do the one present as well. We do our big meal on Christmas Eve and that takes away the stress of cooking on Christmas day. We snack on leftovers that day and have more time to spend together as a family.

Old 10-03-2008, 08:44 AM

3,570 posts, read 8,717,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arrow_keys View Post
I refer to the secular celebration of December 25th as Xmas while retaining the title of Christmas for the season on the church calendar.
Do you know that the "X" is the Greek for Christ? So really when people write Xmas, they're in essence not taking Christ out of Christmas.

Old 10-03-2008, 09:14 AM

142 posts, read 501,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier View Post
Do you know that the "X" is the Greek for Christ? So really when people write Xmas, they're in essence not taking Christ out of Christmas.
Yep! I knew that. XP "chi rho" is the first two letters of the Greek word for Christ. That is why some churches have those two letters in their logos or "chrismon" tree ornaments. (BTW, a chrismon tree is a christmas tree some churches put up that has Christian symbols as the ornaments)

Old 10-03-2008, 09:21 AM

7,995 posts, read 12,269,337 times
Quote:

I am a Christian, but I do not observe 'Christmas'

I just stay at home and wait it out.

Uh, okay...

Now Marian, you know June. June is certainly not one for "throwing stones" or anything of that nature. No, no, no. In fact, the thought never even crossed June's mind. However, this one did:

Upon reading your post, June's immediate thought was: "Huh?" --As in: Does this mean that June should take you off her Christmas card list? That if June swung by, no wassalling? 'Cuz June feels bad that you would be just sitting home, waiting it out. June's a heathen, but even June has been known to partake in the holiday spirit!

C'mon, Marian , just an itsy bitsy little cup of egg nog at home, sitting in your favorite chair with your red wool knitted stocking cap on, humming a Christmas carol or two? (Just to yourself, of course...Unless you'd care to have June join you!)

C'mon now, Marian...You're making June sad...

(How 'bout a little "Oh come let us adore Him?")

Take gentle (nonChristmas?) care.

Old 10-03-2008, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Yes, it is a National Holiday, and I am wondering why, since the nation is not supposed to establish a religion. This holiday is based on two religions....Catholocism, and paganism. ( And no, I am not a JW.)

Since stores and businesses are closed for the day, I just stay at home and wait it out. I usually avoid TV ( for most of Nov. and Dec.)because it is all about 'this joyous season' !!!! I even avoid Wal Mart, because it is intent on making mechandise of the season. What a bunch of hog wash!

( Ducking more rock throwing!!)
No rock throwing. Promise. At least not from me. I respect your views and opinion on the subject, although they differ from mine. And what I am sharing here is just merely to share my views and why they are what they are, not to say that mine are right and yours (or anyone else who views it as you do) is wrong. I am very much reminded of Romans 14 in this aspect which clearly tells us to not judge another.

I even can agree with you that there may be no scriptural backing persay for such a time or celebration in as much as celebrating the birth of Christ or that He was even born on Dec. 25th. The bible does not give a date for His birth nor does it command a celebration of His birth. However, I don't see where the bible has condemned celebrating His birth either. In my opinion, the condemnation that is given to partaking in such tradition is done so out of the distortions to it that have been brought by the enemy through man. Not because God said not to do it. The only traditions and celebrations or what not that God condemned in the bible were those that either worshiped other Gods or held unto a requirement by which man could obtain salvation. The latter of those because we are no longer under law but under grace through Christ.

Therefore, I do not agree it is adding to God's word to acknowledge or even celebrate His birth any more than it would be adding to God's word to celebrate the birth of my own children, my husbands, my parents or my own. I see such things as cultural or traditions held in families. I don't see the holding of such traditions to be sinful so long as they are not exalted above God and so long as one is not buying into the worldy concept of it. To me the issue is not whether or not Christmas is observed, but rather under what spirit and with what attitude is it observed. What reason is applied to it. Is it the gifts, the festivities, or is it a time to get together with friends and family and celebrate Christ.

The enemy distorts a lot of things, however, the enemy's attempt and even success to distort something, does not make that evil persay. Sex for example has been distorted by the enemy, however, sex in itself is not evil or sinful, within the bonds of marriage, sex is beautiful and blessed of God. May be a poor example in connection to Christmas but where the enemy has distorted it to be a time of materialism and paganism, if we use it to glorify God and take the focus off the material and pagan aspect to put the focus on Christ, His birth, His life, His sacrifice, His death, His ressurection and the ultimate gift that we have received as a result, I don't see this as buying into the distortion.

The way I see it is that we are to be a light to the world. With all the materialism that does go into Christmas and with how much it does become about Santa and presents and all that stuff, I do see Christians who partake in a Christmas celebration as using the opportunity to reflect to the world that everything is about Christ, not Santa. Thus, drawing the focus away from a non-existing Santa Clause and all the materialism associated with the gifts, to the one true (and FREE) gift that came to this world in the birth, life, sacrifice, death and resurrection of Christ.

Old 10-03-2008, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrow_keys View Post
Being mindful of Advent as a preparation for Christmas and God's entry into the world as a baby.

Using something like Alternative Gifts International to give a poor community better drinking water or better health care as a way to acknowledge that hope should abound this time of year.

Making every effort to not participate in the consumerism this holiday has become. Although we do slip into it sometimes!

I like that idea, thank you for sharing. I will have to look into that a bit although through my church we do participate in an outreach like that to provide clean water to other places. Again, thank you for sharing and I agree it is important to try to not slip into the commercializing aspect and it is a slippery slope.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity