Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2008, 04:05 PM

23,021 posts, read 34,406,185 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cg81 View Post
Great post!

I find that the Christmas season, when kept in the proper perspective, and be a blessing. Personally, I could do without some of the busyness, but I enjoy being with family, caroling, giving gifts, and enjoying what God has done for us. Of course I like the food too..

It should be a time when we not only enjoy our blessings, but think how we can be a blessing to others.. and along with the above post, we really should live this way everyday.
Thanks, I'm not going to let the devil stop me worshiping Jesus on any day. And oh yea, the food is great
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2008, 04:19 PM

3,978 posts, read 8,554,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
Thanks, I'm not going to let the devil stop me worshiping Jesus on any day. And oh yea, the food is great

And I am not going to let the devil cause me to do something that I believe is contrary to God's will
I can worship Christ the Lord every day of the year, without any of the trappings and festivities of a holyday-holiday. I don't need the manmade festivities to worship The Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit.
God's creation is sufficient for me, and the doctrine that was given to us all....once and for all.

And my god is not my belly!

Old 10-03-2008, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianinark View Post
And I am not going to let the devil cause me to do something that I believe is contrary to God's will
I can worship Christ the Lord every day of the year, without any of the trappings and festivities of a holyday-holiday. I don't need the manmade festivities to worship The Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit.
God's creation is sufficient for me, and the doctrine that was given to us all....once and for all.

And my god is not my belly!
Well good to know Marian. Just curious, do all Church of Christ not celebrate Christmas?

Old 10-03-2008, 04:48 PM

14,892 posts, read 17,182,682 times
I use to be a member of the church of Christ and one minister had a sermon on why he did not see a problem in celebrating Christmas. The point that he wanted to make was that although we as Christians celebrate the birth and life of the Lord every day, what harm is there in taking the opportunity to focus on Him during Christmas? Why not take advantage of this time of the year when many hearts are or may be thinking about Him if not celebrating Him. His message was to use this time to reach out and share with those who might not otherwise think on this at other times of the year. I believe that all days belong to God, regardless of how they may have been celebrated in the past or by other cultures.

Quote:
I can't remember exactly where it is right now in the bible but there is a place where God says all things are good but not all things are good for you. In this, if I recall correctly, God is showing how something that may be good, not sinful, to a person may be just the opposite. It is not about confusion but again about individuals and what they are prone and how God can and often does convict us individually on any number of things. For this reason is why I believe so strongly, like I mentioned, that this gets explained in that scripture in Romans and why we should not judge our brothers and sisters.
Good point. God bless.

Last edited by ShanaBrown; 10-03-2008 at 05:03 PM..

Old 10-03-2008, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
Well good to know Marian. Just curious, do all Church of Christ not celebrate Christmas?
I do not know of any members of the church (small 'c' ) of Christ who celebrate Christmas as Christ's birthday. Most of them do observe it in other ways. I am in the minority in my not observing it at all. Most of my brethren respect my views, but do not go along with them in most cases. Many of them observe it mostly as a day to get together with family, and they do exchange gifts, and have decorations, including trees. I do not love them any less because of that, but, as I said before, I am concerned about it.

Paraphrasing what Paul said," I am afraid of (for) them, lest they have ran in vain."

Since there are a few who are, or may be, bothered by my stand, I usually do not go to the dinner that the Golden Year's class has at that time of the year for the holiday. I also do not go because the occasional things that some wear are offensive to me, espacially pics of santa claus. If I am not there, neither of us will be offended.

I have no problem with the Thanksgiving dinner there, and I have my own at home. It is the time that our son and granddaughters usually come to visit us. I give the GDs gifts at that time. I do it because I am thankful that I have 3 lovely GDs.

Old 10-03-2008, 05:26 PM

1,244 posts, read 3,227,309 times
To be honest, this thread was started not with the intention to debate whether or not it should be celebrated or not. I clearly stated in the OP that I am aware that many do not. I don't see anything wrong with that, it is most definately a decision that needs to be made individually and for one's own family, preferably after prayering about it. However, I also don't see anything wrong with those who do observe the day and in doing so make it all about Jesus and glorifying God.

In the OP I asked for those that do observe to share what they do to keep Christ in Christmas, or Christmas to be about Christ.

I really don't want this thread to become something it was not intended to be. It is not a debate on the scriptural appropriateness of celebrating Christmas, Christs birth or what not. It is also not to become a vehicle by which to judge others for their views or what they do or do not do around Christmas time. This thread was started to be something positive, something productive that could possibly give ideas to others as to how to make it more about Christ.

I respectfully ask that it please stay about that, stay on topic and apologize for myself for any part I took in trying to back up a particular view. It's not what I want this to turn into and I appreciate all you cooperating in that.

Thank you.

Old 10-03-2008, 06:02 PM

I am sorry, Mari. I should have started a thread about why I, and others, do not keep Christmas about Christ.

I will not put my views on this thread anymore.

Old 10-03-2008, 06:17 PM

1,439 posts, read 3,886,335 times
I ran across this article last year and have tried to implement this in our gifts. Our little one is still young and we are trying to make sure the meaning is NOT lost. Begging for Myrrh - Parenting (http://www.christianitytoday.com/cpt/2002/005/1.30.html - broken link)

This is also a tradition my parents started when we were young and are now doing it with Toddler Thirsty; we have a wooden manger my grandfather made that comes out at the begining of the season. The idea is to do a secret good deed. When the deed is completed you pick one piece of pine straw and put it in the manger. On Christmas morning, if the manger is full of pine straw a baby doll (special doll only seen on Christmas morning) is placed in it to represent Baby Jesus. When I was younger it was one of the main things we looked for on Christmas mornings.

Old 10-03-2008, 06:57 PM

11,902 posts, read 3,715,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianinark View Post
I am sorry, Mari. I should have started a thread about why I, and others, do not keep Christmas about Christ.

I will not put my views on this thread anymore.
me too

Old 10-03-2008, 07:04 PM

I'm sorry too Mari for my part in getting off topic too. This discussion comes up every December, maybe we got it out of the way early this year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity