Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 06:43 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,516,611 times

Advertisements

I was going to post this in my blog, but decided it would be best posted here.

How does one explain the trinity concept to anyone? How does one explain three gods in one god? How does one explain that Jesus is the son, God is His father and the Holy Spirit is the teacher and comforter, but all rolled up in one? This part of Christianity and any explanation has been one of the "thorns" in my side for years..To me this is the most confusing thing in the bible and in Christendom for anyone to explain..At least to me

For years, I have studied, prayed, and begged the spirit for guidance..All the explanations I have heard: the egg thing or the water thing or the family thing, and the because I said so, and we are not meant to be able to grasp that one, sounded ridiculous to me..I have even gone so far as to quit calling myself a christian, because that seems to be one of the "rules" that you accept an explanation from man, if you can't for anything find a reasonable explanation straight from the bible that doesn't seem to contradict other verses..

For the first time I have come across an explanation that I can believe and line up with scripture.I found it in a book that I received today about about organic churches. The Godhead is a perfect and eternal community of perfect eternal fellowship, mutual love, mutual dependancy, mutual honor, and mutual dwelling. Neither part of the Godhead,(Father, Son and Holy Spirit can be separated from the other as above, below or more important than the other..In otherwords the trinity is a community of equals sharing all that they are, all that they have with each other..This is the meaning of the "oneness" of the triune God..They each have a role to play,yet are in perfect agreement with each other..The unity and community of the triune Godhead is exactly what the apostles built the early church on (through the guidance of the Holy Spirit of the godhead) but has been lost in the realms of religion and the pride of man and his need to be in charge, appoint someone to be in charge or to entertain himself and others..

Last edited by Miss Blue; 07-17-2008 at 07:13 PM.. Reason: fix some content
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2008, 09:48 PM

37,474 posts, read 61,423,512 times
Fortunately the bible really leaves this topic alone.

As a non-biblical topic, like sun-cream; I do not usually try to figure it out.

Why burn so many calories on non-biblical doctrines?

Old 09-04-2008, 11:50 PM

2,255 posts, read 5,399,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post

Exactly, good point. In the 3rd & 4th centuries Christianity was becomming less reflective of what Jesus and the Apostles originally taught. Politics entered in and Pagan ideas and concepts were introduced into Christianity. They could'nt explain it either back then from the scriptures because it was'nt there. So they came up with the Nicean and Athanaisan Creeds to explain it. This is what 'blue62' has done by finding yet another outside source from the bible itself to explain the dogma because it cannot be found in the bible. Regarding the Trinity, the Athanaian Creed says that "it's members are incomprehesible." Religious Clergy have always taught that it is a "mystery". Obviously such a confusing mysterious Trinitarian God was not what Jesus had in mind when he said, "You worship what you do not know, we worship what we know", John 4:22 (New American Standard Bible) So the question begs to be asked, Do you really know the God you worship?

Funny how it's a big issue and debated by some today, but reading the bible you never even see it talked about or debated. Rather the explanation for that is that it's a mystery and there are secretive and mysterious word meanings inside the Bible itself for the believers to find. If it was such an important main teaching, why did'nt the early prophets of the bible ever discuss it. Look at the sad state of religious affairs around the world and it would appear to have had little if any possitive impact on Christendom today, especially in Europe where the birth of the Trinity was started, it is now almost totally atheistic and secularized.

Old 09-05-2008, 01:05 AM

4,346 posts, read 6,620,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepacific View Post
Exactly, good point. In the 3rd & 4th centuries Christianity was becomming less reflective of what Jesus and the Apostles originally taught. Politics entered in and Pagan ideas and concepts were introduced into Christianity.
So many don't recognize this...

Old 09-05-2008, 05:01 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,516,611 times
[quote=bluepacific;5134527] This is what 'blue62' has done by finding yet another outside source from the bible itself to explain the dogma because it cannot be found in the bible.

Did I say that God is Jesus, that Jesus is God, that the Holy spirit is God that God is the Holy Spirit? Did I say that God has a threeway split personality? What I said was that they act as a unified community..One person does not a community make..but a perfect community acts as one...That is strictly my opinion of the triune God, and I am at peace with that and do not try to force it on anyone else

Last edited by Miss Blue; 09-05-2008 at 05:12 AM..

Old 09-05-2008, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepacific View Post
... Religious Clergy have always taught that it is a "mystery". Obviously such a confusing mysterious Trinitarian God was not what Jesus had in mind when he said, "You worship what you do not know, we worship what we know", John 4:22 (New American Standard Bible) So the question begs to be asked, Do you really know the God you worship? ...
Well they did not ALWAYS teach such a man made doctrine. Men only taught it after it was invented by man and became popular.

Old 09-05-2008, 07:09 AM

8,989 posts, read 14,571,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post

Never talks about it??? Non biblical? This is an essential doctrine of salvation.

Heh Blue 62. Here is an excellent video explaining the triune from a brilliant man named Ravi Zachariah

The Law of Non-Contradiction and the Trinity
Ravi Zacharias International Ministries :: Watch (http://www.rzim.org/USA/Resources/Watch.aspx#whythebible - broken link)

Old 09-05-2008, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reformed Liberal View Post
Never talks about it??? Non biblical? This is an essential doctrine of salvation.
Look through a concordance.

It is nowhere located in the Bible.

Jesus did not teach on the subject of trinity. He did however teach on the singular God, his father.

The Apostles doctrine did not include the trinity.

The trinity doctrine was developed and adopted into pagan Chrisianity centuries later.

Old 09-05-2008, 08:13 AM

810 posts, read 1,437,930 times
hmmm...just a quick question for blue62, forest beekeeper, bluepacific, and firstborn, and anyone else who questions the trinity doctrine.

From what translation/s do you study? Just wondering if there is one particular translation that can lead to one questioning the trinity, not understanding the trinity, or dismissing the trinity all together.

Old 09-05-2008, 08:31 AM

3,434 posts, read 9,746,970 times
Im not trying to make an argument for or against I believe what I believe..but i have to ask..
Genesis 1-26
26 Then God said, "Let us make man in our image, in our likeness, and let them rule over the fish of the sea and the birds of the air, over the livestock, over all the earth, [b] and over all the creatures that move along the ground.

who is the "our" referring to?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity