Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2008, 11:15 AM

7,874 posts, read 14,233,007 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeveenh View Post
I think the doctrine of the trinity causes disharmony and confusion. How do the following scriptures make any sense:
Matt 3:17
John 8:42
John 14:28-for the father is greater than I
John 20:17- Jesus said, "Do not hold on to me, for I have not yet returned to the Father. Go instead to my brothers and tell them, 'I am returning to my Father and your Father, to my God and your God.' "-;
1 Corinthians 11:3
1 Corinthians 15:28

Systematical theology seems to be in favor of their being a hierarchy with the father as God, Jesus is his son, and the holy spirit is God's power.
You're correct if we simply make this out to be a human relationship; and for all we know, Jesus probably spelled it out to those around him in a way they could understand.

The Trinity is in perfect harmony, agreement, and unison. One will never clash with the other. It's not too hard to understand that the Father loves the Son, and the Spirit will always point us to the Son.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2008, 11:22 AM

3,978 posts, read 8,576,597 times
Quote:
Great scripture talking about not worshipping false gods or objects of veneration.

However, I don't see how this points to a trinity? It still is talking in a singular form.
di·vin·i·ty –noun, plural -ties. 1.the quality of being divine; divine nature. 2.deity; godhood. 3.a divine being; God. 4.the Divinity, (sometimes lowercase) the Deity. 5.a being having divine attributes, ranking below God but above humans: minor divinities. 6.the study or science of divine things; theology. 7.godlike character; supreme excellence.

What dictionary did you get these definitions from ?

Is "government" single or plural? Is "family" singular or plural?

I propose that the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit make up the Godhead; Diety; Divinity. There are numerous scriptures that speak of the three, and that say they are 'one' , just as the scriptures say a man and wife are 'one'.

The word "trinity" is another word that has been used by some religions, but that I have not found in any bible. Perhaps a Gateway search would bring up some ?

Old 09-05-2008, 11:38 AM

37,690 posts, read 61,776,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
You're correct if we simply make this out to be a human relationship; and for all we know, Jesus probably spelled it out to those around him in a way they could understand.

The Trinity is in perfect harmony, agreement, and unison. One will never clash with the other. It's not too hard to understand that the Father loves the Son, and the Spirit will always point us to the Son.
That is really nice.

It is too bad that such an important doctrine, is not laid out in plain language in the Bible.

You have such a way of saying your belief in simple terms. Easy to understand. that is really nice.

And yet God does not say anything to imply such a thing.

God is great! God is good! God is the creator of the Heavens and Earth!

God was able to explain sin, in His Word.

God was able to explain the creation of the world and all that grows thereon.

God was able to form the words to express our salvation.

In God's Word lies everything that man needs to find godliness and salvatoin.

And yet the trinity doctrine does not lie within God's Word.

God's Word tells us hundreds of times that God is one, that there is no other.

Old 09-05-2008, 12:00 PM

3,770 posts, read 10,603,373 times
The Trinity is never mentioned in the Bible,but as Christians we know there is only one God and He is made up of three personages which is Father(God)Creator of the Heavens and the Earth, Son(Jesus Christ)who came to Earth in the form of a man to take away the sins of the World and the Holy Spirit who dwells within us .

So it is One God=three Personages
Three Personages=One God It is a paradoxical way of looking at the situation

Old 09-05-2008, 12:10 PM

10,295 posts, read 9,729,519 times
John 14:26
But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, He will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all things that I said to you.

Why would Jesus tell us that the Father will send the Holy Spirit in His name... if they are not one?
Also the Father tells us that no one can come unto Him, but only through Jesus can one do this.
We are not to worship other gods, but only One the Father! If you separate the Three, you are making each one into an Deity...

Just because the word Trinity is not in the scripture, it does not mean that the concept of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit are not One God... which the scripture teach they are One!

But we are reminded that the natural man does not understand the things of the Spirit. They are foolish to him.

1Cor.2:14
But the natural man does not receive the things of the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him; nor can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.

Also,
John 4:23-24
But the hour is coming, and now is, when the true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and truth; for the Father is seeking such to worship Him. God is Spirit, and those who worship Him must worship in spirit and truth.

Old 09-05-2008, 12:24 PM

7,874 posts, read 14,233,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
That is really nice.

It is too bad that such an important doctrine, is not laid out in plain language in the Bible.

You have such a way of saying your belief in simple terms. Easy to understand. that is really nice.

And yet God does not say anything to imply such a thing.
And I've never had issue with the Trinity "issue" - just trying to explain it within the context of this thread.

Old 09-05-2008, 12:39 PM

8,989 posts, read 14,608,354 times
Snow, ice and water, all differnt but the same.

If you take a dimension in life and add a second dimension to it than a 3rd dimension to it, with each added dimension you have greater capacity and greater possibilities of which that can be actualized.

If you take one dimension you get a straight line, if you take two dimensions you get a figure, if you take a 3rd dimension you get objects and when you break these dimensions down the fundamental components remain the same but the accretion of those same components give you greater possiblities.

So whan you have a finite being -and a contigent being -and a limited being. When you got one dimension describing the very nature of being, you add to that now the possibility of an infinite being, an uncaused being, a being that is non dependent, you get the possibility of a being with greater complexity.

-C.S. Lewis

Last edited by Fundamentalist; 09-05-2008 at 01:13 PM..

Old 09-05-2008, 01:59 PM

23,039 posts, read 34,489,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freedom View Post
We must understand before we are able to see God.

Salvation is no guarantee of seeing the Father.

Many of the saved will be told, be gone from me, ye that worketh iniquity, i never knew you.

The are not evaporated, they inherit life eternal, as well they are given a much lower estate.

godspeed,

freedom
Salvation is no guarantee of seeing the Father??? My salvation IS my guarantee I will see the Father.
The people that Jesus will say I never knew you to, were never saved at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noland123 View Post
The Trinity is never mentioned in the Bible,but as Christians we know there is only one God and He is made up of three personages which is Father(God)Creator of the Heavens and the Earth, Son(Jesus Christ)who came to Earth in the form of a man to take away the sins of the World and the Holy Spirit who dwells within us .

So it is One God=three Personages
Three Personages=One God It is a paradoxical way of looking at the situation
AMEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by curlythecosmo View Post
John 14:26
But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, He will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all things that I said to you.

Why would Jesus tell us that the Father will send the Holy Spirit in His name... if they are not one?
Also the Father tells us that no one can come unto Him, but only through Jesus can one do this.
We are not to worship other gods, but only One the Father! If you separate the Three, you are making each one into an Deity...

Just because the word Trinity is not in the scripture, it does not mean that the concept of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit are not One God... which the scripture teach they are One!

But we are reminded that the natural man does not understand the things of the Spirit. They are foolish to him.

1Cor.2:14
But the natural man does not receive the things of the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him; nor can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.

Also,
John 4:23-24
But the hour is coming, and now is, when the true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and truth; for the Father is seeking such to worship Him. God is Spirit, and those who worship Him must worship in spirit and truth.
AMEN!!!!

Old 09-05-2008, 02:04 PM

810 posts, read 1,441,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Psalm 103:11 For as the heaven is high above the earth, so great is his mercy toward them that fear him. :12 As far as the east is from the west, so far hath he removed our transgressions from us.
Isaiah 1:18 and Isaiah 38:17 are two more scriptures that show how much God will forgive us our sins.
1:18"Come now, let us reason together,"
says the LORD(Relaced the tetragamaton for the divine name of
God).
"Though your sins are like scarlet,
they shall be as white as snow;
though they are red as crimson,
they shall be like wool.

38:17 Surely it was for my benefit
that I suffered such anguish.
In your love you kept me
from the pit of destruction;
you have put all my sins
behind your back.

Many times on CD I hear people say how unloving God seems, or how discouraged they feel...as if what they've done in their past cannot be forgiven. These scriptures do show us just how much God is willing to forgive if we just obey Him.

This arrangement of forgiveness of sins by means of Jesus' death was made by God. The "Old Testament" actually uses the divine name Yahweh or Jehovah. It was removed out of supersticious fear.

Old 09-05-2008, 02:09 PM

8,989 posts, read 14,608,354 times
Quote:
Isaiah 1:18 and Isaiah 38:17 are two more scriptures that show how much God will forgive us our sins.
1:18"Come now, let us reason together,"
says the LORD(Relaced the tetragamaton for the divine name of
God).
"Though your sins are like scarlet,
they shall be as white as snow;
though they are red as crimson,
they shall be like wool.

38:17 Surely it was for my benefit
that I suffered such anguish.
In your love you kept me
from the pit of destruction;
you have put all my sins
behind your back.

Many times on CD I hear people say how unloving God seems, or how discouraged they feel...as if what they've done in their past cannot be forgiven. These scriptures do show us just how much God is willing to forgive if we just obey Him.

This arrangement of forgiveness of sins by means of Jesus' death was made by God. The "Old Testament" actually uses the divine name Yahweh or Jehovah. It was removed out of supersticious fear.
??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity