Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2023, 06:42 AM

29,555 posts, read 9,751,103 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by compwiz02 View Post
Interesting responses.

The reason I made this thread is....it is a bit naive to think we are the only living beings in our galaxy (ok, I guess galaxy is the proper term to use). And it is also naive to think that our galaxy is the only galaxy in the vast universe.

Again, I ask....why us? why earth? do you think God is making Himself more visible on other planets or on other galaxies? What do you think is happening outside of our own planet? outside of our own galaxy?

A normal person would say "why focus on stuff that are outside of our control? why think about things outside of earth?" great question. I don't have the best response to that but I think it's good to consider the fact that we spend our daily lives thinking that our planet is very special and there are so many things happening to it but we may forget that like I said, we're not alone. Maybe there are many things happening on another planet that we may not know about. maybe on another planet.....thousands of light years away undiscovered by our brilliant scientists, there are human beings inhabiting it with super advanced technology thinking "those living beings think they are special don't they? they think God is only focusing on them...."

sorry, my mind like to wander lol....
Naive, yes, and again you ask a good or interesting question among the many that just about all of us are curious to know more about. I know I sure do. How the universe began. Were there others before? How did life begin? What are the odds that life exists only on earth? These questions and answers may be outside our control, but of course this doesn't mean they are not important or compelling. We humans have been speculating as to the answers going back thousands of years now.

However, the question I have for you is why begin or assume there is a god involved. That a god exists. Why is it we humans can somehow jump to conclusion about a god with no beginning or end, all great, omnipotent, without any explanation or evidence to suggest such a thing could be possible? Why this inclination if not compulsion?

Why are we not able to at least begin with a possibility that the universe had no beginning or end? And that life emerged from the cosmos just like everything else in the cosmos has emerged. In random chaotic fashion as it appears rather than some grand intelligent design. Seems to me this is the more reasonable, rational and appropriate starting point before we begin imagining the likes of a deity in all the many ways we do.

Ah, but ain't that just like human nature to presume we are somehow the reason or center upon all the rest follows? Given the "tiny spec" we are in the universe, what makes us think or feel we're here today and gone tomorrow for any more purpose or reason than a shooting star? Or the dinosaurs? Or other living things that once roamed the planet and are now extinct?

These are the first questions I am inclined to ask before any others...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2023, 10:52 AM

20,064 posts, read 13,520,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdaelectro View Post
The multi-verse is comic book science fiction
It is all hypothesis at this point, to be sure, and not particularly testable / falsifiable hypotheses, and therefore of questionable scientific validity. I'd characterize it as speculative. It is however more intelligent speculation that some of the other speculative ideas out there.

Old 12-03-2023, 11:00 AM

20,064 posts, read 13,520,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavenese View Post
if God want to set up camp and make the Earth His spot, who are we to question Him? The whole universe belongs to Him.
Who are you to limit him to the earth? As I said he could be acting out this elaborate salvation narrative in a thousand locations at once, with a thousand incarnations of Jesus, for all you know. Or billions at once.

Historically though Christians have opposed anything that doesn't keep the earth at the center of all things: heliocentrism got some people tortured or murdered; even the discovery of moons around Jupiter with the earliest telescopes was threatening to them.

I have told the story around here before of how a young earth creationist I was having a conversation with completely lost it when I mentioned in passing the potential for discovering life on other worlds. Since then I have looked into it and to my amazement they have actually chosen to "double down" on their thinking, as they have now realized they need not just a young earth, but a young universe, to sustain the creationist narrative. And any life found elsewhere has to be some form of transpermia from earth. They choose VERY odd hills to die on.

Old 12-03-2023, 02:04 PM

11,083 posts, read 6,667,691 times
^^^^^^^^^^ I agree with Mordant (as usual). God/Jesus could be acting out all kinds of scenarios on various planets. There are not time or space constraints on God so he could be everywhere all at once doing and creating wherever he desires.

I think that's happening. Why would the God who created this vast and complicated universe limit himself to this one rock we're on? If he's going to have his kingdom here on earth, he could do that simultaneously on other planets at the same time.

We can't limit God to what we can comprehend.

Old 12-03-2023, 05:47 PM

10,047 posts, read 4,980,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
^^^^^^^^^^ I agree with Mordant (as usual). God/Jesus could be acting out all kinds of scenarios on various planets. There are not time or space constraints on God so he could be everywhere all at once doing and creating wherever he desires.
I think that's happening. Why would the God who created this vast and complicated universe limit himself to this one rock we're on? If he's going to have his kingdom here on earth, he could do that simultaneously on other planets at the same time.
We can't limit God to what we can comprehend.
Not limited to one Rock, but the fact that on this one Rock sin originated.
Once the ' sin issue ' is settled here on Earth, then there will be intelligent life elsewhere.
If there was a faithful Adam and Eve elsewhere there would be No need to settle the issues here on Earth.
Satan would Not be allowed to re-start the issue elsewhere.
Besides, Jesus will destroy sinner Satan - Hebrews 2:14 B

Old 12-04-2023, 09:39 AM

29,555 posts, read 9,751,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew 4:4 View Post
What's taking him so long?!?

Old 12-04-2023, 10:40 AM

28,104 posts, read 30,005,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
What's taking him so long?!?
With respect to eternity, it's just been a split second.

Old 12-04-2023, 02:16 PM

11,083 posts, read 6,667,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew 4:4 View Post
Not limited to one Rock, but the fact that on this one Rock sin originated.
Once the ' sin issue ' is settled here on Earth, then there will be intelligent life elsewhere.
If there was a faithful Adam and Eve elsewhere there would be No need to settle the issues here on Earth.
Satan would Not be allowed to re-start the issue elsewhere.
How do we know that "sin" originated on Earth, only? Genesis tells the story about what happened here on Earth. We don't know what happened elsewhere.

One does not preclude the other and it seems like hubris to claim God is centered just here on Earth. Or that God can only take care of one thing/planet at a time.

Old 12-04-2023, 02:33 PM

10,111 posts, read 6,455,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
How do we know that "sin" originated on Earth, only? Genesis tells the story about what happened here on Earth. We don't know what happened elsewhere.

One does not preclude the other and it seems like hubris to claim God is centered just here on Earth. Or that God can only take care of one thing/planet at a time.
Maybe who or whatever lives on other planets has no conception or practice of sin. Then they would never need a savior to redeem them to G-d, would they? They could simply exist in harmony forever.

Old 12-04-2023, 03:18 PM

23,203 posts, read 10,485,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compwiz02 View Post

When you see earth from an "outside" perspective, you see that we are just a tiny speckle in this gigantic vast universe. Our universe is just one of MANY universes out there.

We spend so much time focusing on how God plays a role on earth and in our universe but what about zooming out and thinking about on other planets....other universes....

What makes earth so special? Is God ignoring the other planets and universes? What if there is another earth that has not been discovered yet? Maybe they have their own religion and think that THEY are the planet that God focuses on.
My biblical opinion is that the bible speaks of other earths, opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity