Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2023, 01:42 PM

3,465 posts, read 4,845,741 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by O'Darby View Post
As a non-scientist but someone who has written and edited professionally for many years, I believe if someone will take the trouble to parse and diagram the above post they will find it makes no sense whatsoever.
Go for it. You are not going to be able to without referencing your particular religious beliefs. Someone from a different religion will come behind you and rip your post to shreds. That is always quite comical.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2023, 04:00 PM

10,043 posts, read 4,976,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
Go for it. You are not going to be able to without referencing your particular religious beliefs. Someone from a different religion will come behind you and rip your post to shreds. That is always quite comical.
Above reminds me of the old adage, " He who laughs last laughs best. " - but not meant to be as comical.

Old 12-07-2023, 04:08 PM

20,043 posts, read 13,507,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by O'Darby View Post
As a non-scientist but someone who has written and edited professionally for many years, I believe if someone will take the trouble to parse and diagram the above post they will find it makes no sense whatsoever.
Hm ... this seems like gaslighting of the first order. I had no trouble on first read with it.

* Gods are only relevant where there is sentience of a sufficient magnitude to comprehend or interact with such a concept

* The vastness of the universe (and of time), once one is aware of it, is hard to fully comprehend without considerable effort, so people tend to invent gods as a simpler / less challenging / more intuitive explanation.

Better?

Old 12-07-2023, 06:18 PM

28,103 posts, read 29,992,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Oh no. All that barking? What about wild animals? Will there be lions, tigers and bears wandering around? Like it seems God felt appropriate for us humans here on earth?
I believe that all life is eternal, so if I'm right, there will also be wild animals and trees and flowers.

Old 12-08-2023, 06:24 AM

3,465 posts, read 4,845,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Hm ... this seems like gaslighting of the first order. I had no trouble on first read with it.

* Gods are only relevant where there is sentience of a sufficient magnitude to comprehend or interact with such a concept

* The vastness of the universe (and of time), once one is aware of it, is hard to fully comprehend without considerable effort, so people tend to invent gods as a simpler / less challenging / more intuitive explanation.

Better?
Exactly. I am not all that great at sugar coating delivery. lol You hit the nail on the head though. When civilizations cannot understand or explain their existence, they invent gods. Some have multiple gods that are in control of particular aspects of life or nature and some have a single supreme being.

Old 12-08-2023, 06:29 AM

16,690 posts, read 15,693,414 times
If you haven't, please read the forum rules at the top of the thread list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
In order to preserve the peace and harmony in the Christianity forum, the moderators have agreed that the following policy is in order. Please adhere.

This is the Christianity forum, where we discuss issues about Christianity. Obviously, the existence of God/Jesus is a given in such discussions, so arguments against the existence of God are off topic in the Christianity forum. Please confine any such discussions to the main Religion & Spirituality forum.

Old 12-08-2023, 08:45 AM

5,656 posts, read 3,165,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew 4:4 View Post
I can agree to the extent that the possibilites exist caring about the inhabitants such as: lower life forms.
In other words, there could be the possibility of 'animal life' elsewhere, but Not intelligent life as we have here.
Faithful intelligent life elsewhere would show No need to settle the ' sin issue ' Satan and Adam started on Earth.
The Bible is the handbook for planet Earth and humans. And Adam and Eve were human.

I've always thought that there might be intelligent life 'out there' but their roadmap is different from ours.

Old 12-08-2023, 10:13 AM

29,552 posts, read 9,742,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
As a scientist, these types of questions almost give me a headache.

There is a really simple answer to the question. The only way there is a so called "God" looking over the vast number of planets in the never ending universe is if there are life forms there that are intelligent enough to have imaginations, self awareness and critical thinking skills. Then like many humans on Earth they cannot wrap their head around the fact that the right conditions exist and through hundreds of thousands or millions of years of evolution they developed to where they are now. <<cut>>
I can appreciate your reason and logic to a point, but you seem to be making some presumptions that are not necessarily appropriate when speculating about the likes of such a god...

For example, according to a scientist like you, why could a god not create the entire universe for purposes of fostering all manner of possibilities for life forms to be created? Then watching over all of it to see where "the seeds of life" might emerge and propagate? Isn't this similar to the sorts of tests scientists perform all the time? To learn what they can about whatever it is they are wanting to learn?

Of course, there is also the belief that God already knows everything, so why bother with experiments? All depends on what presumptions are made about God in any case. As an atheist, I don't make any such presumptions, but I get a kick out of all the possibilities one can speculate about, and/or the arguments about what is logical or reasonable about any of the speculations.

Old 12-08-2023, 10:44 AM

29,552 posts, read 9,742,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I believe that all life is eternal, so if I'm right, there will also be wild animals and trees and flowers.
Would this mean all forms of life that cause disease, disabilities and pain exist in heaven too? If wild animals that can be a threat to humans are in heaven, why not all other things living things that can ravage, maul, eat or kill humans?

Of course there is no need to answer these questions. I know how this works all too well to expect answer(s) that aren't entirely predictable when it comes to God and heaven, but sometimes it's hard not to point out what seem some serious inconsistencies with some of these theories.

Old 12-08-2023, 11:12 AM

28,103 posts, read 29,992,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Would this mean all forms of life that cause disease, disabilities and pain exist in heaven too? If wild animals that can be a threat to humans are in heaven, why not all other things living things that can ravage, maul, eat or kill humans?

Of course there is no need to answer these questions. I know how this works all too well to expect answer(s) that aren't entirely predictable when it comes to God and heaven, but sometimes it's hard not to point out what seem some serious inconsistencies with some of these theories.
Then I won't bother.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity