Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2023, 09:07 PM

2,770 posts, read 2,606,257 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by compwiz02 View Post

Our universe is just one of MANY universes out there.
Prove it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2023, 09:10 PM

4,858 posts, read 456,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdaelectro View Post
Prove it
Well now, that simply qualifies as a troll-type of comment. Click. IGNORE.

Old 12-01-2023, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sitonmywhat View Post
Well now, that simply qualifies as a troll-type of comment. Click. IGNORE.
The op made a truth claim and I simply asked them to prove it.

Old 12-01-2023, 09:43 PM

20,037 posts, read 13,501,689 times
Quote:
The op made a truth claim and I simply asked them to prove it.
Honestly I think the OP meant "galaxies" rather than "universes".

Either way we are a speck in a very big place.

Old 12-01-2023, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Honestly I think the OP meant "galaxies" rather than "universes".
If that's the case, then that's a huge blunder

Old 12-02-2023, 07:19 AM

1,812 posts, read 903,193 times
We do know that the star nearest to the place where God dwells is named “Kolob”.
So something else is out there that has at least one inhabitant on it.

https://www.ldsliving.com/3-fascinat...-kolob/s/82249

“We first learn about Kolob in Abraham 3:2-3, when Abraham sees it in a vision through the Urim and Thummim. He says, “And I saw the stars, that they were very great, and that one of them was nearest unto the throne of God; and there were many great ones which were near unto it; And the Lord said unto me: These are the governing ones; and the name of the great one is Kolob, because it is near unto me, for I am the Lord thy God: I have set this one to govern all those which belong to the same order as that upon which thou standest.”

From this scripture, we learn that Kolob is a huge star, which God has designated as the one to govern even the other “governing creations” (see Abraham Facsimile 2:2). But what does that mean?”

Old 12-02-2023, 08:12 AM

28,100 posts, read 29,986,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sitonmywhat View Post
Definitions, again.

Seems to me we already have a term to designate all of reality, whether known or unknown. What is "reality?" "All that is, or can be." Where does all that stuff reside? In the totality of creation which we call the (singular) universe.

Are we on the same page? You used the term, "worlds." ........?
I don't discount the possibility of life elsewhere in our universe, although I wouldn't venture a guess as to where in the universe it might be. I also don't reject the possibility of a multiverse, although I've never given it any real thought as it has virtually no bearing on my salvation. By "worlds," I mean inhabited planets. You tell me whether we're on the same page or not. I thought my answer was pretty simply and straightforward.

Last edited by Katzpur; 12-02-2023 at 09:28 AM..

Old 12-02-2023, 08:16 AM

28,100 posts, read 29,986,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ketchikanite View Post
We do know that the star nearest to the place where God dwells is named “Kolob”.
So something else is out there that has at least one inhabitant on it.

https://www.ldsliving.com/3-fascinat...-kolob/s/82249

“We first learn about Kolob in Abraham 3:2-3, when Abraham sees it in a vision through the Urim and Thummim. He says, “And I saw the stars, that they were very great, and that one of them was nearest unto the throne of God; and there were many great ones which were near unto it; And the Lord said unto me: These are the governing ones; and the name of the great one is Kolob, because it is near unto me, for I am the Lord thy God: I have set this one to govern all those which belong to the same order as that upon which thou standest.”

From this scripture, we learn that Kolob is a huge star, which God has designated as the one to govern even the other “governing creations” (see Abraham Facsimile 2:2). But what does that mean?”
What in the world? You're not even LDS and yet you still believe in the existence of a star called Kolob? My faith in you is shaken!

Old 12-02-2023, 08:34 AM

1,003 posts, read 789,762 times
Quote:
Prove it

The Urantia Book

Paper 15

The Seven Superuniverses

15:2.1 (165.6) Only the Universal Father knows the location and actual number of inhabited worlds in space; he calls them all by name and number. I can give only the approximate number of inhabited or inhabitable planets, for some local universes have more worlds suitable for intelligent life than others. Nor have all projected local universes been organized. Therefore the estimates which I offer are solely for the purpose of affording some idea of the immensity of the material creation.

15:2.8 (166.7) 6. The Superuniverse. Ten major sectors (about 1,000,000,000,000 inhabitable planets) constitute a superuniverse. Each superuniverse is provided with an enormous and glorious headquarters world and is ruled by three Ancients of Days.

15:2.9 (166.8) 7. The Grand Universe. Seven superuniverses make up the present organized grand universe, consisting of approximately seven trillion inhabitable worlds plus the architectural spheres and the one billion inhabited spheres of Havona. The superuniverses are ruled and administered indirectly and reflectively from Paradise by the Seven Master Spirits. The billion worlds of Havona are directly administered by the Eternals of Days, one such Supreme Trinity Personality presiding over each of these perfect spheres.

https://www.urantia.org/urantia-book...superuniverses

Old 12-02-2023, 09:57 AM

29,552 posts, read 9,737,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compwiz02 View Post

When you see earth from an "outside" perspective, you see that we are just a tiny speckle in this gigantic vast universe. Our universe is just one of MANY universes out there.

We spend so much time focusing on how God plays a role on earth and in our universe but what about zooming out and thinking about on other planets....other universes....

What makes earth so special? Is God ignoring the other planets and universes? What if there is another earth that has not been discovered yet? Maybe they have their own religion and think that THEY are the planet that God focuses on.
Sure. Why not?

Whether you mean other galaxies or universes, who can actually discount any possibilities and of course, once you have found a way or good reason to believe a god exists, there is always any number of ways to think a god would create all the universe and even CARE about all of it. Including us humans. Each and every one of us along with all living things.

I don't know how people come to actually believe these things, but obviously people do. Lots and lots of people believing in all manner of things. Including all this about Kolob. Why not?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity