Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2019, 03:23 PM

33,225 posts, read 26,429,769 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
Matthew 25:46
"These will go away into aionion (duration or period of time) chastisement or correction, and the just or righteous into aionion (duration or period of time) life." Remember, this is not talking about anything eternal (aidios), however, it doesn't mean that life will end any more than the chastisement or correction will continue. Personally, I couldn't care less what your Greek scholars have to say. Aἰῶνα has nothing to do with eternity, nor does it carry the connotation of eternal. What you don't like is the idea of all humanity coming to the knowledge of the truth that hell and eternal damnation are false theologies, created by men to scare little children. Isn't it time you searched for the real truth? The only thing it does is invoke the idea of longevity or that which is over the horizon as does the Hebrew word Olam.
You do not get to decide which word the Biblical writers should have used to describe the idea of eternal punishment. Despite your low opinion of Greek scholars, and whether you like it or not, and you don't, they know full well that in certain contexts the word αἰώνιος and its cognates does refer to unending duration as in eternal duration. The word is used for the life of Jesus after having been resurrected, never to die again in Revelation 1:18. And so it is used in Matthew 25:46.

Olam as well, in certain contexts, such as in Daniel 12:2, dealing with resurrection in the age to come, refers to unending duration - eternal duration. As does the shame and everlasting contempt which is spoken of in the same verse.

Old 06-28-2019, 03:28 PM

72 posts, read 38,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
I understand you asked Pastor Mark to join us and you obviously resonate with his views. But he stumbles over the LGBT issue because he retains a misunderstanding of what was actually abominable back then and somehow still justifies the existence of Hell (which is an evil of such monumental proportions that it defies understanding). I suspect you agree with him on these issues and that is troubling.
Apologies for not giving attention sooner.
God loves gay people and so do I. But they too must be and will be transformed by His all consuming fire.

Old 06-28-2019, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekigurl View Post
Something caught my attention, and I have to ask...

Radical forgiveness for all, except for us q----s? What exactly are "LGBTQ moralities and spiritualities"? Does this include LGBTQ Christians like myself?
My apologies i did not mean to ignore you. That is a fair question. Absolutely radical forgiveness shall come to you. My prayer is that you would ask for it today.

Old 06-28-2019, 03:52 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,174,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PastorMark View Post
God loves gay people and so do I. But they too must be and will be transformed by His all consuming fire.
Quote:
My apologies i did not mean to ignore you. That is a fair question. Absolutely radical forgiveness shall come to you. My prayer is that you would ask for it today.
I was correct. The Pastor has a long way to grow.

Old 06-28-2019, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
I was correct. The Pastor has a long way to grow.
I get it. Your trying to trigger me. Sorry, no bullets for you.

Old 06-28-2019, 04:20 PM

63,791 posts, read 40,053,123 times
Quote:
God loves gay people and so do I. But they too must be and will be transformed by His all-consuming fire.
His all-consuming Fire IS His love, Pastor, NOT some impossibly evil eternal torment. We will all be transformed by His Consuming love because we all are imperfect, unlike Jesus. That is why it makes no sense for any of us to take notice of any so-called sins or imperfections of others. We have enough to concern ourselves with our own.

Old 06-28-2019, 04:23 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,174,182 times
Quote:
I get it. Your trying to trigger me. Sorry, no bullets for you.
You're wrong.

But by now, that does not surprise me.

Old 06-28-2019, 04:35 PM

2,029 posts, read 1,364,096 times
Quote:
His all-consuming Fire IS His love, Pastor, NOT some impossibly evil eternal torment. We will all be transformed by His Consuming love because we all are imperfect, unlike Jesus. That is why it makes no sense for any of us to take notice of any so-called sins or imperfections of others. We have enough to concern ourselves with our own.

Old 06-28-2019, 05:10 PM

63,791 posts, read 40,053,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
You do not get to decide which word the Biblical writers should have used to describe the idea of eternal punishment. Despite your low opinion of Greek scholars, and whether you like it or not, and you don't, they know full well that in certain contexts the word αἰώνιος and its cognates does refer to unending duration as in eternal duration. The word is used for the life of Jesus after having been resurrected, never to die again in Revelation 1:18. And so it is used in Matthew 25:46.

Olam as well, in certain contexts, such as in Daniel 12:2, dealing with resurrection in the age to come, refers to unending duration - eternal duration. As does the shame and everlasting contempt which is spoken of in the same verse.
You are on the losing side of the argument even if what you say about the word αἰώνιος and its cognates were true (it is NOT!), Mike. The concept of unending punishment, itself, is so heinous and evil that God could never be the author of it and certainly not the enforcer of it - or God IS truly a monster of evil beyond any imagining.

Old 06-28-2019, 07:10 PM

33,225 posts, read 26,429,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post

Quote:
You are on the losing side of the argument even if what you say about the word αἰώνιος and its cognates were true (it is NOT!), Mike. The concept of unending punishment, itself, is so heinous and evil that God could never be the author of it and certainly not the enforcer of it - or God IS truly a monster of evil beyond any imagining.
No, I'm not, and yes, it is. Your personal opinions do not override what God has revealed about Himself through the apostles. It is perfectly just for God to leave under condemnation all who will not avail themselves of His means of eternal salvation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity