Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2016, 07:40 PM

6,796 posts, read 2,910,085 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Jesus came thru the linage of David and Bathsheba as well... doesn't imply that they were in the right with regards to the start of the relationship... doesn't imply that David was in the right with the multitude of wives. The design for marriage, consisting of one man and one woman, has remained unchanged. It should be noted that they were married when Solomon was conceived.

All mercy.
Were Adam and Eve married when Cain and Abel were born? Just asking since you're talking about the design of marriage.

Old 03-24-2016, 07:43 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,495,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrhockney View Post
...do you think I was sending you to a site that quotes the Qur'an?! Again that site used only used scripture and what we know of those cultures to discuss this topic. You are only hiding from a DEEPER understanding of GOD'S WORD because you think you already know it all because read the english translated bible with a modern fundamentalist (or WELS in your case) understanding...stop being a know it all and challenge yourself! Isn't that a part of the reason you come here?
Actually .... since you insisted, I remembered seeing that site before.

The great thing about being very familiar with the truth of the Holy Bible makes is easier to identify the charlatans who comes home one night and "God spoke to me and I made a web site" then starts "selling Bible software online and through chain stores and ever since, I have been making money online."

That's your definition of DEEPER understanding ....
Next time if I need a doggie bag when I walk my dog send me his link in paper form.

Old 03-24-2016, 09:16 PM

Quote:
God is silent all through the book of Judges. You think he is OK with what went down?
Considering the atrocities committed by and commanded by "God" from the pages of the Old Testament I can't see why He would not be OK with whatever it was that went down in the book of Judges. Oh wait, it's okay when "God" does or commands these things but not when His human creations take it on themselves without 'divine instruction' to do these things.

Got it.

Quote:
The other thing is that sin has consequences.
"Sin", eh? There's that word again in all its glory. I guess that 'sin' appears to be more complex than 'wrongdoing' in as much as it's more defined as 'falling short of the perfection of God' ...correct? If that's the case, unless you have the perfection of God, then you are nothing other than a 'sinner' yourself, right? So, having established this, what is the 'divine consequence' for your being 'less than perfect'? Furthermore, how can one less-than-perfect person continue to point the finger at others who they consider to be less-than-perfect'? This is a constant dilemma that I have with this rather odd and certainly hypocritical Christian mind-set.

Quote:
Have you read about David's family life? Not good... dysfunctional.
Have you read about Adam and Eve ...the heterosexual couple who are supposed to be our prime example for 'marriage made in heaven'? Also, how about their kids? Not good... dysfunctional.

Old 03-24-2016, 09:41 PM

1,507 posts, read 1,380,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
Actually .... since you insisted, I remembered seeing that site before.

The great thing about being very familiar with the truth of the Holy Bible makes is easier to identify the charlatans who comes home one night and "God spoke to me and I made a web site" then starts "selling Bible software online and through chain stores and ever since, I have been making money online."

That's your definition of DEEPER understanding ....
Next time if I need a doggie bag when I walk my dog send me his link in paper form.

...First of all, it looks like the link is now broken.. I was wondering why you gave such a jerk of a response so I tried the link again and it sent me to his main page. I'll try to find the working link for those interested (when I'm not having to type from a smart phone)

Secondly, I do not agree with him on everything or probably even most things. He's a libertian on steroids and talks way too much about the end times and illuminati crap but he does put everything on youtube so it doesn't look like he's selling anything except ideas...lol He actually had a link to fox news and Glenn beck in the main page so I figured you'd be all over it! jk. Honestly, the only reason I even referenced his site was because his article on harlotry was a good scriptural summary of the what I've known on the topic for years and it figured it would give you an idea of why so many of us here don't just blindly accept modern Christian definitions of sexual immorality without me having to write 10+ paragraphs on it like I have here in the past.

Lastly, by DEEPER I mean studying other points of view rooted in scripture that might not agree with your traditions so you can be challenged to either disprove them or accept them. It can only be to your benefit...and if you can't definitively disprove a conflicting point of view but are too comfortable in yours to change,it is my hope that you at least remember that before you call that person bulhorns of Satan or whatever. In the end, I don't really expect you to ever see beyond your WELS bubble but that doesn't mean I won't keep trying based on vain hope or just for the fun of it or so others can compare our arguments

Last edited by Jrhockney; 03-24-2016 at 09:51 PM..

Old 03-24-2016, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizaTeal
"Let no one separate." Yet nobody is creating thread, after thread, about divorced Christians disobeying god's word. Why is divorce acceptable, and common place with Christians?
Quote:
I have no idea why those who support pro divorce being acceptable are not creating thread, after thread, about divorce ... maybe it has something to do with this:

God said ...
"God" said nothing. The words in 'the Bible' say . . .

Quote:
. . .there are two reasons that he allows a divorce:
  • [1] marital unfaithfulness: Matthew 19:9, Matthew 5:31,32
The majority of divorces nowadays probably have little to do with marital unfaithfulness. People get bored with one another or/and simply prefer someone else ...usually someone else who is ALSO married! "No-fault" would be the most common 'cause' for divorce both within and without 'Christian' circles. So, that Bible text has little relevance to the common reason for divorce today.

Quote:
  • [2] malicious desertion of the spouse: Malachi 2:14-15
The text in Malachi basically speaks of 'unfaithfulness' ...the same as that spoken of by Jesus.

Quote:
. . .whereas there are no exceptions by God for sexual immorality which same sex is.
There are no exceptions 'by God' for any divorced person (even if a 'scriptural legit' divorce) to remarry. The only exception is if a spouse dies which then frees up the remaining partner to remarry. The reason for this is due to the command, "Thou shall not commit adultery". As long as both spouses of a marriage remain alive - even though a legit divorce has been obtained - they cannot (according to scripture) remarry. While this IS hotly debated (often by those who ARE divorced and remarried ) it stands to reason that one's having a sexual relationship with another while the former partner is still living would be tantamount to the biblical definition of 'adultery'.

So, twin.spin, I trust this has taken some of the wind out of your sails. And, by the way, 'same sex' is not addressed in the Bible other than with regard to Pagan idolatry.

I trust that you're learning something here . . .

Old 03-24-2016, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrhockney View Post
...First of all, it looks like the link is now broken.. I was wondering why you gave such a jerk of a response so I tried the link again and it sent me to his main page. I'll try to find the working link for those interested (when I'm not having to type from a smart phone)

Secondly, I do not agree with him on everything or probably even most things. He's a libertian on steroids and talks way too much about the end times and illuminati crap but he does put everything on youtube so it doesn't look like he's selling anything except ideas...lol He actually had a link to fox news and Glenn beck in the main page so I figured you'd be all over it! jk. Honestly, the only reason I even referenced his site was because his article on harlotry was a good scriptural summary of the what I've known on the topic for years and it figured it would give you an idea of why so many of us here don't just blindly accept modern Christian definitions of sexual immorality without me having to write 10+ paragraphs on it like I have here in the past.

Lastly, by DEEPER I mean studying other points of view rooted in scripture that might not agree with your traditions so you can be challenged to either disprove them or accept them. It can only be to your benefit...and if you can't definitively disprove a conflicting point of view but are too comfortable in yours to change,it is my hope that you at least remember that before you call that person bulhorns of Satan or whatever. In the end, I don't really expect you to ever see beyond your WELS bubble but that doesn't mean I won't keep trying based on vain hope or just for the fun of it or so others can compare our arguments
While the entire post is good I mainly want to rep you on your last paragraph. Well said.

Old 03-24-2016, 11:22 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,495,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post
"God" said nothing. The words in 'the Bible' say . . .
This ^^^^ makes the this vvvvvvv
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post

The majority of divorces nowadays probably have little to do with marital unfaithfulness. People get bored with one another or/and simply prefer someone else ...usually someone else who is ALSO married! "No-fault" would be the most common 'cause' for divorce both within and without 'Christian' circles. So, that Bible text has little relevance to the common reason for divorce today.

The text in Malachi basically speaks of 'unfaithfulness' ...the same as that spoken of by Jesus.
There are no exceptions 'by God' for any divorced person (even if a 'scriptural legit' divorce) to remarry. The only exception is if a spouse dies which then frees up the remaining partner to remarry. The reason for this is due to the command, "Thou shall not commit adultery". As long as both spouses of a marriage remain alive - even though a legit divorce has been obtained - they cannot (according to scripture) remarry. While this IS hotly debated (often by those who ARE divorced and remarried ) it stands to reason that one's having a sexual relationship with another while the former partner is still living would be tantamount to the biblical definition of 'adultery'.
So, twin.spin, I trust this has taken some of the wind out of your sails. And, by the way, 'same sex' is not addressed in the Bible other than with regard to Pagan idolatry.

I trust that you're learning something here . . .
best left for what it is ... doa

Old 03-24-2016, 11:52 PM

Quote:
This ^^^^ makes the this vvvvvvv

best left for what it is ... doa
Um, did you make some kind of point, twin.spin? If so, would you care to fill me in on what it was?

Old 03-25-2016, 04:40 AM

6,844 posts, read 2,847,151 times
Quote:
This ^^^^ makes the this vvvvvvv best left for what it is ... doa

Are you going to refute, or try to, Rom's well written and factual points? Moderator cut: deleted

Last edited by june 7th; 03-25-2016 at 04:53 PM.. Reason: Contentious in nature, and too likely to "bait" other member.

Old 03-25-2016, 06:11 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,923,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekigurl View Post
Are you going to refute, or try to, Rom's well written and factual points?Moderator cut: Orphaned
No he won't, because he thinks that the fact that Romulus does not believe that it is God speaking in the Bible exonerates twin spin from having to defend the fact that neither he nor Christianity follows what it says. How's THAT for reasoning power?

As senseless as everything else he comes up with to defend bigotry is how.

Last edited by june 7th; 03-25-2016 at 04:49 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity