Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2014, 09:36 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,242,237 times

Advertisements

No sin offends God more than the one on display in this thread from the usual suspects:

Sanctimonious judgmentalism.

One day, you will have to face yourself.

It will not be pretty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2014, 10:09 PM

63,947 posts, read 40,236,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Wrong again. There you go thinking you have anything to do with our salvation or bringing anyone to salvation. That was Christ's job and "It is finished!" By what self-righteous arrogance do you think YOU can do anything about our salvation??? Your reliance on everything BUT the Word of God (Jesus Christ) will be your undoing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace Believer View Post
And the hate in your post expose who you serve! We serve the God of love and you the god of hate and attacking.
There is no hate in my post . . . so it must be projection. Do you think that there is anything that he or you or I can do to affect anyone's salvation??? That would require that you think you are Jesus Christ . . . because He and He alone is our Savior. We have nothing to do with it whatsoever. "It is finished." We need to focus on our own sanctification through "love of God and each other" and repenting when we don't. I follow Christ and the God He revealed who IS agape love. There are those who mistakenly do seem to follow a God of hate not realizing that hate is an entirely human weakness. God has none.

Old 08-08-2014, 10:25 PM

1,614 posts, read 1,247,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace Believer View Post
And the hate in your post expose who you serve! We serve the God of love and you the god of hate and attacking.
I've never seen any hate in posts made by Mystic. Don't mistake people being flabbergasted by ignorance for hate -- they are two entirely different things.

Old 08-09-2014, 09:09 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,226,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
but, they didn't "agree to it", because the pastor knew nothing about it until
it was publicly printed in the newspaper that the man was "married" to another man.
not just casually homosexual at some points in his life, but "married" to another man.
at that particular point, some parishoners objected. so the deceased has his funeral
at another church. unlike everyone else in this thread, i see no problem with the
church's actions.

T.W. Jenkins, pastor at New Hope says he was not aware that Evans had a husband or was gay until members of his congregation saw the obituary and called to complain. They did not think it was right to have the funeral at their church.

"Based on our preaching of the scripture, we would have been in error to allow the service in our church," Jenkins said. "I'm not trying to condemn anyone's lifestyle, but at the same time, I am a man of God, and I have to stand up for my principles."
They agreed to do the funeral. If I were in the situation, I'd have done the funeral, but I would have met with the family and told them I was not going to refer to him as married and to his "husband". It would be up to the family to move to another church if they desired. They didn't have to cast their support for gay marriage by doing it...but they committed, so they should do it.

Old 08-09-2014, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
No sin offends God more than the one on display in this thread from the usual suspects:

Sanctimonious judgmentalism.

One day, you will have to face yourself.

It will not be pretty.
Yet----you and your friends here continue to sanctimoniously judge others that disagree with you. It's sickening. Instead of judging us, have you ever tried to understand our point of view?

That's mind-boggling how some people can sit and chastise others for the exact same behavior that they themselves display. That's called hypocrisy.

Old 08-09-2014, 09:26 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,242,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Yet----you and your friends here continue to sanctimoniously judge others that disagree with you. It's sickening. Instead of judging us, have you ever tried to understand our point of view?

That's mind-boggling how some people can sit and chastise others for the exact same behavior that they themselves display. That's called hypocrisy.
Odd. I don't recall saying anyone who doesn't support same sex marriage was destined to roast in hellfire for eternity.

If I disagree with something you, or other fundavangelists say is "God's word" you're quick (and content) to consign me and other like-minded heathens to hell.

I simply say you're wrong and often give reasons.

However, I can't say I'm surprised you can't fathom the difference.

Old 08-09-2014, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Odd. I don't recall saying anyone who doesn't support same sex marriage was destined to roast in hellfire for eternity.
Who did? No one said that you did. Are you trying to put words in our mouths?
Quote:
If I disagree with something you, or other fundavangelists say is "God's word" you're quick (and content) to consign me and other like-minded heathens to hell.
I'm not. Who is suggesting you are going to hell for disagreeing?
Quote:
You're also quick to call us names and say we're intolerant for doing the same thing you do.
Quote:
I imagine you aren't surprised. People often miss the irony of their own actions.

Old 08-09-2014, 09:59 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,741,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
They did NOT pressure the pastor to go ahead with the funeral, Finn. That is enough to indict them all . . . not just the ones who pressured the pastor to cancel. All that is needed for evil to triumph is that good people do nothing and become complicit in the evil.
Judge if you must. I am simply saying we do not know the full story, and we do not know if they regretted / repented the decision. I make an effort to refrain from judging, especially when it comes to people I do not even know, and when all I know about the incident is hear-say and a newspaper article, which may, or may not be the truth.

Old 08-09-2014, 10:46 AM

10,125 posts, read 14,008,752 times
Quote:

You have basically called people on here self-righteous. You are definitely judging and you are being a hypocrite. If people can't call someone out for being sinful, then what makes that any different than what you are doing?

Old 08-09-2014, 10:49 AM

9,981 posts, read 8,611,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
They agreed to do the funeral. If I were in the situation, I'd have done the funeral, but I would have met with the family and told them I was not going to refer to him as married and to his "husband". It would be up to the family to move to another church if they desired. They didn't have to cast their support for gay marriage by doing it...but they committed, so they should do it.
the man who booked the funeral failed to mention that he was the deceased's "husband".
thus, it was booked under false pretenses and if that baptist church is opposed to
having homosexuals they don't know go in there and have services for their "spouses"
it's within their rights not to do it. Funerals involve ceremony and rites that church wasn't
comfortable providing to a non-member who was "married" another man at time of death.

T.W. Jenkins, pastor at New Hope says he was not aware that Evans had a husband or was gay until members of his congregation saw the obituary and called to complain. They did not think it was right to have the funeral at their church.

"Based on our preaching of the scripture, we would have been in error to allow the service in our church," Jenkins said. "I'm not trying to condemn anyone's lifestyle, but at the same time, I am a man of God, and I have to stand up for my principles."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity