Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2014, 10:36 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,988,005 times

Advertisements

Of all the unfeeling, hypocritical, mean spirited and callous things to do, 24 hours before the funeral AFTER the church agreed to hold it, just because they found out the deceased was gay.

If this is what being a "good christian" is all about, you can keep it.

Note the pastor cancelled after pressure from parishioners found out the deceased was gay and married. Obviously they were not filled with any holy spirit.

I am so disgusted by this, there are not enough superlatives to voice that disgust.

Tampa church cancels gay man's funeral - FOX 13 News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2014, 10:51 PM

1,714 posts, read 1,772,248 times
Very sad. I feel bad for the guy that he actually grew up in that church surrounded by the kind of people that would do this. It is probably better though that this happened, I mean I would not want my funeral to be held in a place like that.
Personally I am not sure what people mean when they call someone a Christian. I grew up in a Catholic household, I read some of the bible (a lot of it in college/ancient lit class), I do not belong to any church (I am very drawn to the Unity church though), but if I said I believed in Christ would that make me a Christian or not? I always thought Christian just meant someone who believed in Jesus. Sorry for going off topic.

Old 08-07-2014, 11:20 PM

11,560 posts, read 11,230,317 times
This is beyond low. I would really love to see an interview with this pastor where he discusses his feelings regarding the decision to cancel. From what I see, they simply wanted this funeral to be in the church that the man grew up in. Sadly, I think there are many fundamentalist churches in America that would do the exact same thing if they were in the same scenario (the church I grew up in included). Really sad.

Old 08-08-2014, 12:02 AM

64,169 posts, read 40,552,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Of all the unfeeling, hypocritical, mean spirited and callous things to do, 24 hours before the funeral AFTER the church agreed to hold it, just because they found out the deceased was gay.
Note the pastor cancelled after pressure from parishioners found out the deceased was gay and married. Obviously they were not filled with any holy spirit.
I am so disgusted by this, there are not enough superlatives to voice that disgust.
There are no Christians in that church. There is no agape love there at all . . . just self-righteous bigots thinking whatever nonsense they believe will save them from themselves and their fears of whatever. It won't.

Old 08-08-2014, 12:29 AM

11,123 posts, read 6,449,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post

The pastor probably just trying to make a name for himself, and the more people that respond the greater his name becomes.

Old 08-08-2014, 05:17 AM

89,127 posts, read 85,767,866 times
Pathetic and sad.

Old 08-08-2014, 05:25 AM

16,427 posts, read 22,288,072 times
Would they have cancelled the funeral if the person had been a drunk, adulterer, liar, thief or covetor? Does one have to be free from sin to receive the courtesy of a decent burial? Embarrasing that a man uses the name of Christ to be so hypocritical.

Old 08-08-2014, 05:43 AM

76,959 posts, read 47,910,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
There are no Christians in that church. There is no agape love there at all . . . just self-righteous bigots thinking whatever nonsense they believe will save them from themselves and their fears of whatever. It won't.
Hold your unrighteous judgment Just because one or two church leaders makes such ruling, does not mean every single member of that church is unloving.

Old 08-08-2014, 05:49 AM

21,087 posts, read 29,388,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Hold your unrighteous judgment Just because one or two church leaders makes such ruling, does not mean every single member of that church is unloving.
But we would be confident to say that the MAJORITY are.

Old 08-08-2014, 05:57 AM

76,959 posts, read 47,910,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
But we would be confident to say that the MAJORITY are.
How do you know what the silent majority hold in their hearts?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity