Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2014, 08:50 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,989,474 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iam4USC View Post
Pretty sad to think that those who love us aren't watching over us from heaven. Yes, their bodies are dead. But the soul lives on. And they can hear us. I'm sorry you can't speak to your loved ones. Because I can. Just like I speak to Christ.
Speaking to dead people is forbidden in the Bible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2014, 08:55 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,357,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
Why would I talk to my parents who have passed away? They are dead. They can't hear. They are in the grave. They are in the grave awaiting the resurrection. Only then will they meet the Lord.

Mary is dead. The saints are dead who died. They too must await their resurrection in order to meet the Lord. There is no "in-between" state. "The dead know nothing."

There is a difference between a minister asking the congregation to pray for someone, a congregation of living people, and dead saints who have passed on. We pray to God through Jesus Christ. "Christ alone has immortality" and "No one has ascended into Heaven except He who came down out of heaven, Jesus Christ."
The saints and Mary are not deities.

Catholics have devotion to Mary and the saints and ask for extra help regarding their prayers to God.

This is part of the history of Christianity. The early Christians revered the martyred saints and even collected their bones. It is part of the tradition of Christianity. Mary is honored as the Mother of Jesus and people ask Mary for help. It is not rocket science and it is part of Catholicism. I don't see why Protestants make a big deal about it.

Protestants do not honor Mary of the saints because their religions are extremely new and there is no ancient tradition in Protestantism. Their religion is solely base on one book, the bible. For a Sola Scriptura newbie Christian the devotion to Mary and saints feels strange and that is perfectly OK. I don't have issues with that.

Old 02-19-2014, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
Speaking to dead people is forbidden in the Bible.
It is extremely hard to believe you were once a Catholic. Or maybe you left Catholicism many years ago. Your knowledge of Catholicism needs improvement despite the fact that you use the name of a Catholic historian

Here is why:

Quote:
Romans 8:38-39

38 For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons,[a] neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, 39 neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.
Look at the bold parts Eusebius. Jesus is the vine and we are the branches. We do not lose connection with Jesus just because we die.

Go back to the drawing board.

Old 02-19-2014, 11:04 AM

758 posts, read 850,351 times
The Mary which Roman Catholics worship is not the Mary of the Bible. Biblically, Mary was only human. God chose her to be a vessel to bring His beloved Son into the world. But Roman Catholics bow down to statues of Mary, exonerate and venerate her more then Christ Jesus.

In Exodus 20:4,5 God said, "Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth: Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them..." Mary would never be a part of this! She was not there when Christ created the universe. Christ was God long before she was ever born. Bowing to Mary is a sin!

Roman Catholic teaching states Mary was sinless. That is not true. In Luke 1:46-47, she too admitted that she needed a Savior. Like all Jewish mothers, Mary gave a sacrificial offering of two turtle doves (Luke 2:21-24). Romans 3:23 declares, "For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God."

Moderator cut: deleted

Mary saw her son crucified, but He came to die and pay the price for all the sins of mankind, including her own. God's blood ran through Jesus' veins (John 3:16; Acts 20:28). If you are saying that Christ is without sin, then you are right. You can find this teaching in 2nd Corinthians 5:21 and 1st Peter 2:22. The Scriptures state there is only one God (Deuteronomy 6:4) and one Mediator between God and men, and that is Jesus Christ (1st Timothy 2:5). Jesus is the ONLY one we can go to for salvation (Acts 4:10-12). In John 14:6, Jesus said He is the ONLY way to Heaven. There are absolutely NOT two mediators.

Last edited by june 7th; 02-19-2014 at 11:47 AM.. Reason: Denominational bashing.

Old 02-19-2014, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atkutuq View Post
The Mary which Roman Catholics worship is not the Mary of the Bible. Biblically, Mary was only human. God chose her to be a vessel to bring His beloved Son into the world. But Roman Catholics bow down to statues of Mary, exonerate and venerate her more then Christ Jesus.

In Exodus 20:4,5 God said, "Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth: Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them..." Mary would never be a part of this! She was not there when Christ created the universe. Christ was God long before she was ever born. Bowing to Mary is a sin!

Roman Catholic teaching states Mary was sinless. That is not true. In Luke 1:46-47, she too admitted that she needed a Savior. Like all Jewish mothers, Mary gave a sacrificial offering of two turtle doves (Luke 2:21-24). Romans 3:23 declares, "For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God."

Moderator cut: Orphaned

Mary saw her son crucified, but He came to die and pay the price for all the sins of mankind, including her own. God's blood ran through Jesus' veins (John 3:16; Acts 20:28). If you are saying that Christ is without sin, then you are right. You can find this teaching in 2nd Corinthians 5:21 and 1st Peter 2:22. The Scriptures state there is only one God (Deuteronomy 6:4) and one Mediator between God and men, and that is Jesus Christ (1st Timothy 2:5). Jesus is the ONLY one we can go to for salvation (Acts 4:10-12). In John 14:6, Jesus said He is the ONLY way to Heaven. There are absolutely NOT two mediators.
Is your religion better than Catholicism? A simple yes or no will be enough.

Last edited by june 7th; 02-19-2014 at 11:47 AM..

Old 02-19-2014, 11:40 AM

758 posts, read 850,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
Is your religion better than Catholicism? A simple yes or no will be enough.
Jesus denounced "religion"!

I want no part of any religion!

I have a Relationship with God through Jesus Christ according to HIS WORDS (only).

Old 02-19-2014, 12:02 PM

1,311 posts, read 1,531,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iam4USC View Post
Why do you see it as such a problem that Catholics pray to Mary and the saints?
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalbum View Post
I am saved by Jesus Christ, but also pray to his mother - The Blessed Mother!
In the following video Father Jeff Bayhi emphasizes several times that Catholics are not praying to Mary, etc., but praying through Mary, etc.. While I personally don't see the need for it, I can wrap my head around Mary being prayed through, better than I can her being prayed to.

Why Do Catholics Pray to Saints? - YouTube

Old 02-19-2014, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atkutuq View Post
Jesus denounced "religion"!

I want no part of any religion!

I have a Relationship with God through Jesus Christ according to HIS WORDS (only).
Good for you!

A one man band. I am glad you can play all the instruments at once and have no fellowship with others.

I cannot argue with that.

Old 02-19-2014, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pastorALly View Post
In the following video Father Jeff Bayhi emphasizes several times that Catholics are not praying to Mary, etc., but praying through Mary, etc.. While I personally don't see the need for it, I can wrap my head around Mary being prayed through, better than I can her being prayed to.

Why Do Catholics Pray to Saints? - YouTube
Pastor you always impress me with your posts!

Old 02-19-2014, 12:28 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,989,474 times
Nothing like semantics. The Catholic attorneys must have worked overtime on that one . . . through rather than to.

Mary and the saints who have died are DEAD. You can't pray through them or to them. It's a waste of time. Dead is dead. They have to await the resurrection before being made alive. They are not alive in some sort of other state. We can pray to God through Christ because Christ IS alive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity