Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2014, 03:12 PM

2,541 posts, read 2,541,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
I am a Catholic and you are incorrect.

Your assertion that your religion or belief system is better is rooted in ignorance.

No religion is better than others. I admire Mormons and Jews even if their religion is different. I also have great admiration for Protestants.

You sound just like the people Jesus mentioned in the Sermon on the Mount,
This is not about Catholic or other denominations but about right or wrong doctrine. It is written that they who worship God must worship in Spirit and in Truth/doctrine/proper teachings of our Lord. I may have been brought up Protestant but there are many flavors of that but when I came to Christ, I learned it was not about denominations but about the Spirit and Truth of Christ. If it is not about that than one is yet carnal in their religion.

1COR 3:3 "For you are yet carnal: for whereas there is among you envying, and strife, and divisions, are you not carnal, and walk as men?
1COR 3:4 For while one says, I am of Paul; and another, I am of Apollos; are you not carnal?
1COR 3:5 Who then is Paul, and who is Apollos, but ministers by whom you believed, even as the Lord gave to every man?"

Ought not a man to say I am of Christ [not Protestant nor Catholic] and here is what He says.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2014, 03:36 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,395,091 times
Quote:
I am a Catholic and you are incorrect.

Your assertion that your religion or belief system is better is rooted in ignorance.

No religion is better than others. I admire Mormons and Jews even if their religion is different. I also have great admiration for Protestants.

You sound just like the people Jesus mentioned in the Sermon on the Mount,
DRA Matthew 7:21 Not every one that saith to me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven: but he that doth the will of my Father who is in heaven, he shall enter into the kingdom of heaven.

Old 02-20-2014, 03:51 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,342,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garya123 View Post
This is not about Catholic or other denominations but about right or wrong doctrine. It is written that they who worship God must worship in Spirit and in Truth/doctrine/proper teachings of our Lord. I may have been brought up Protestant but there are many flavors of that but when I came to Christ, I learned it was not about denominations but about the Spirit and Truth of Christ. If it is not about that than one is yet carnal in their religion.

1COR 3:3 "For you are yet carnal: for whereas there is among you envying, and strife, and divisions, are you not carnal, and walk as men?
1COR 3:4 For while one says, I am of Paul; and another, I am of Apollos; are you not carnal?
1COR 3:5 Who then is Paul, and who is Apollos, but ministers by whom you believed, even as the Lord gave to every man?"

Ought not a man to say I am of Christ [not Protestant nor Catholic] and here is what He says.
The Bible is a spiritual guide and not to be taken literally.

Old 02-20-2014, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garya123 View Post
A Christian is in Christ not in Mary. We are to pray through/by the Holy Spirit because Jesus gave Him to us as the only medium of communication to God. Therefor He who blasphemes the Holy Spirit has nullified [not saying anyone here has but simply explaining] the only means of direct communication with God. Every other way is bizarre because it is seeking a medium other than Christ. It is written that we are not to seek mediums because Christ is the only one.

Praying to Mary or others may not be blasphemy for some because they do it in ignorance but it is a mistake and useless except that one might find human comfort in it but it will not answer prayer. True prayer is of the Spirit and answered by the Spirit. He shows the things of God to us.

I reminisce about my mother and have good thoughts of Mary being an example of motherhood and blessed because of her faith but that is all. No one but God answers prayers and only because of what Jesus did for us. He provided Atonement so that we can access God directly in the good times and in our bad times.

He answers us by the Comforter who is also called the Spirit of Supplication and Spirit of Truth. No one on the earth or in Heaven holds these titles as the intercessor and to answer prayer because the Spirit is Christ in His Glorified state of being.
Fortunately God is not anal or jealous. Therefore, God hears all prayers.

I cannot imagine an insecure petty God that will ignore the Catholics that pray to Mary. If your God is like that then you have a serious problem in your theology.

Old 02-20-2014, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
DRA Matthew 7:21 Not every one that saith to me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven: but he that doth the will of my Father who is in heaven, he shall enter into the kingdom of heaven.
See post No. 53

Old 02-20-2014, 04:07 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,969,381 times
Quote:
The Bible is a spiritual guide and not to be taken literally.
(YLT) for God did so love the world,
that His Son--the only begotten--He gave,
that every one who is believing in him may not perish, but may have life age-during.

I can't take that any way but literally.

Old 02-20-2014, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
(YLT) for God did so love the world,
that His Son--the only begotten--He gave,
that every one who is believing in him may not perish, but may have life age-during.

I can't take that any way but literally.
Sometimes the literal and spiritual meaning are the same. But, ultimately it is the message.

Old 02-20-2014, 04:30 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,493,260 times
Quote:

I cannot imagine an insecure petty God that will ignore the Catholics that pray to Mary. If your God is like that then you have a serious problem in your theology.
Based on what ..... because you have an edict saying so?
Then to throw accusations that God is insecure \ petty ... oh that's good.
John 8:47
"Whoever belongs to God hears what God says. The reason you do not hear is that you do not belong to God.”
Would you care to be told what God says ...
John 9:31
We know that God does not listen to sinners. He listens to the godly person who does his will.

Proverbs 15:29 The Lord is far from the wicked, but he hears the prayer of the righteous

Old 02-20-2014, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
Based on what ..... because you have an edict saying so?
Then to throw accusations that God is insecure \ petty ... oh that's good.
John 8:47
"Whoever belongs to God hears what God says. The reason you do not hear is that you do not belong to God.”
Would you care to be told what God says ...
John 9:31
We know that God does not listen to sinners. He listens to the godly person who does his will.

Proverbs 15:29 The Lord is far from the wicked, but he hears the prayer of the righteous

So you think those that pray to Mary are sinners and not righteous. You are incorrect! Many folks that are devoted to the virgin are holy and very righteous.

Why are you so concerned if other Christians have a different style of worship?

I ask again: Do you think God is anal, petty, or jealous?

Old 02-20-2014, 05:08 PM

2,541 posts, read 2,541,910 times
Quote:

That has nothing to do with it. Your understanding of jealous is as far as the earth is from Heaven. Of coarse God is not anal nor insecure but Glory belongs to God and not another and He defends it for His saints sake against all rivalry as a good husband should defend against rivalry for his wife.

You ought rather to say God is not intimidated by another but He is jealous and for good reason; to protect His own from ravinous wolfs in sheeps clothing who would try to steal the Glory even if they do it in ignorance. The Bible and the Spirit define who God is not you nor I.

Definition of JEALOUS
a : intolerant of rivalry or unfaithfulness

IS 42:8 "I am the LORD: that is My name: and My glory I will not give to another, neither My praise to graven images."

IS 42:13 "The LORD shall go forth as a mighty man, He shall stir up jealousy like a man of war: He shall cry, yea, roar; He shall prevail against his enemies." He shall take what belongs to Him!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity