Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2014, 06:29 AM

2,619 posts, read 7,029,336 times

Advertisements

Here's an odd one for you all. This isn't quite a Christian issue, but one that I'd like to get feedback on from Christians.

My house will be going on the market soon. I have a number of decorative stone cairns, probably 10 or so, in my back yard and the woods surrounding the house. The cairns themselves aren't very large, just small single rock towers 3 ft high with smaller and smaller rocks towards the tops. Most of them aren't very obvious at first cause they're under trees or in wooded areas surrounding the lawn. One of them is substantially larger, about 5 feet high and perched on a 3 foot boulder in the middle of the lawn. The general area is very rocky, with ledge outcroppings, small cliffs and boulders all over the place, so the cairns fit nicely into the general topography.

I quite like them, they're fun and playful and they tend to make people smile. OTOH, they do have a slightly new-agey aspect to them. Outdoorsy people or hikers immediately recognize them as cairns and love them. Others ask "what are those?" and some have inferred some kind of religious meaning (there isn't, at least not for us) or are part of some kind of pagan ritual or display (they aren't).

So here's the question - What to make of them? If you were looking at a house and noticed some cairns around in the woods in the back, what would you think? Should I keep them cause they're fun or knock them down in case somebody thinks we've set up some kind of satanic, pagan, druid, harmonic vortex?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2014, 06:45 AM

2,167 posts, read 3,131,841 times
Just tell them that's how you know where the bodies are burried.

Old 01-16-2014, 11:34 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,163,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kletter1mann View Post
If you were looking at a house and noticed some cairns around in the woods in the back, what would you think?
I'd think, "Cool. Cairns."

We have them on our property. They are a VERY common Native American structure.

Old 01-17-2014, 03:07 PM

9,689 posts, read 10,011,211 times
Yes these idols are of a pagan roots and have No connection to Christianity , See the North and South American native religious faith is of naturalism pagan and it was a good thing that some were converted to Christianity , and which forced many cultures to abandon the pagan beliefs .... But still there are some who condemn the abandoning of these savage pagan belief as a outrage..... Jesus will have many in Heaven now ..... So go ahead and knock them idols down and it will attract the wrong spirit which is not of God

Old 01-18-2014, 08:45 PM

1,706 posts, read 3,308,022 times
Were anyone to try to cultivate anything there, one way to create more open land space would be to simply pile rocks up. Burial grounds, cultivation, idols, spiritual vortex.... I'd let the buyer think of a good reason why they are there.

"Oh, those rock piles, there's plenty of lore in them. What do you think? We never really paid them no mind. They are simply part of the landscape." Doesn't add or subtract, doesn't offer criticism or encouragement. It just is.

Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar and a fire hydrant is just a fire hydrant.

Old 01-19-2014, 08:35 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,163,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
Yes these idols are of a pagan roots and have No connection to Christianity , See the North and South American native religious faith is of naturalism pagan and it was a good thing that some were converted to Christianity , and which forced many cultures to abandon the pagan beliefs .... But still there are some who condemn the abandoning of these savage pagan belief as a outrage..... Jesus will have many in Heaven now ..... So go ahead and knock them idols down and it will attract the wrong spirit which is not of God
That's called destruction of Native American artifacts where I live. Personally, I choose to respect their beliefs and their culture. Idols? You've just exposed how much you don't know. Congratulations. Native Peoples have much to teach us. A concept most Christians decided to ignore the moment they landed on this continent. I've NO respect for that since it's resulted in prejudice and discrimination.

You should know that the term "savage pagan" is a slur offensive to Native Americans. And to me. (Consider that your free education for today.)

Last edited by DewDropInn; 01-19-2014 at 09:56 AM..

Old 05-13-2014, 08:18 AM

1 posts, read 3,529 times
Intersting question that I stumbled upon while researching an upcoming sermon! After I started section-hiking on the Appalachian Trail, I learned about cairns that are set up on the trail to mark something of significance. So it was when I started thinking about two Scriptures for this coming Sunday -- John 14:1-14 and 1 Peter 2:2-10 -- I began to think about Jesus as a cairn ("I am the way ..." in John) as well as a cornerstone.
Just a thought for your ... and thanks for the sermon lead-in!

Old 05-13-2014, 08:22 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,807,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
Finding common cause with the Taliban, I see...

After 1,700 years, Buddhas fall to Taliban dynamite - Telegraph

Old 05-13-2014, 12:59 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,389,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kletter1mann View Post
Here's an odd one for you all. This isn't quite a Christian issue, but one that I'd like to get feedback on from Christians.

My house will be going on the market soon. I have a number of decorative stone cairns, probably 10 or so, in my back yard and the woods surrounding the house. The cairns themselves aren't very large, just small single rock towers 3 ft high with smaller and smaller rocks towards the tops. Most of them aren't very obvious at first cause they're under trees or in wooded areas surrounding the lawn. One of them is substantially larger, about 5 feet high and perched on a 3 foot boulder in the middle of the lawn. The general area is very rocky, with ledge outcroppings, small cliffs and boulders all over the place, so the cairns fit nicely into the general topography.

I quite like them, they're fun and playful and they tend to make people smile. OTOH, they do have a slightly new-agey aspect to them. Outdoorsy people or hikers immediately recognize them as cairns and love them. Others ask "what are those?" and some have inferred some kind of religious meaning (there isn't, at least not for us) or are part of some kind of pagan ritual or display (they aren't).

So here's the question - What to make of them? If you were looking at a house and noticed some cairns around in the woods in the back, what would you think? Should I keep them cause they're fun or knock them down in case somebody thinks we've set up some kind of satanic, pagan, druid, harmonic vortex?
Let the buyer ask and decide, they are the ones whose opinion counts.

Old 05-14-2014, 11:45 AM

8,734 posts, read 13,815,029 times
They keep you from getting lost. You come to a fork in the trail, take the one with the cairn. Instead of a gaudy signpost, these are more in keeping with the natural aesthetics. Don't over-think these things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity