Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2014, 07:38 PM

17,966 posts, read 16,066,100 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
I have provided the proof. You have provided contradiction and denial. re the legend, as I have said: Where are the earliest records of the Biblical version? We have records of the Mespotamian version reight back to Sumer. I can point to the evidence. You can only claim that the biblical version is the original. You have produced virtually no evidence to support any of your claims.

I know what you believe, old mate. I know I can't persuade you. But what have you got to persuade anyone else?

Again, this is what I wrote:

Here is my direct statement from post #516 in this thread about "dumbest":

"
The black sea flood is the dumbest idea as if that is what sparked the flood of Noah's day historical account. I mean, really? That's like saying aunt Mildred's family died in a flood and that story grew and grew to include the entire world? Really?"
Notice the entire statement in the first sentence in the quote above. I didn't say "The Black Sea theory by Ballard is the dumbest theory for the world wide flood." I said: "The Black Sea flood is the dumbest idea AS IF THAT IS WHAT SPARKED THE FLOOD OF NOAH'S DAY HISTORICAL ACCOUNT."

Now then, you are basically saying I'm lying. I know what I said. You obviously don't.

Did God inspire the Mesopotamian version? No. Did He inspire Moses' version of the flood? Yes. Did Jesus approve of Moses' version? Yes. Was Jesus inspired? Yes. GET OVER IT.

We have the records of the version as given by Moses. That's good enough for me.

Old 02-05-2014, 07:44 PM

50,157 posts, read 21,003,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
Again, this is what I wrote:

Here is my direct statement from post #516 in this thread about "dumbest":

"
The black sea flood is the dumbest idea as if that is what sparked the flood of Noah's day historical account. I mean, really? That's like saying aunt Mildred's family died in a flood and that story grew and grew to include the entire world? Really?"
Notice the entire statement in the first sentence in the quote above. I didn't say "The Black Sea theory by Ballard is the dumbest theory for the world wide flood." I said: "The Black Sea flood is the dumbest idea AS IF THAT IS WHAT SPARKED THE FLOOD OF NOAH'S DAY HISTORICAL ACCOUNT."

Now then, you are basically saying I'm lying. I know what I said. You obviously don't.
I posted your earlier post where you presented that Black sea thing as evidence that proved the Noachian flood. When it didn't work for you, you somehow got the idea that I had brought it up to be some kind of rebuttal of the noachian flood.

Quote:
Did God inspire the Mesopotamian version? No. Did He inspire Moses' version of the flood? Yes. Did Jesus approve of Moses' version? Yes. Was Jesus inspired? Yes. GET OVER IT.

We have the records of the version as given by Moses. That's good enough for me.
I know, but is it good enough to convince anyone else? Not unless they already believe it on Faith. Bible -literalist faith. And you don't sound any more convincing for screaming in block caps.

I really appreciate you, old chap, because if you can't made a case for genesis that stands up, nobody can.

Old 02-05-2014, 07:49 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,374,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
...snip...
And several thousand others.

It's probably very nice to have some company.

Old 02-06-2014, 03:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
And several thousand others.

It's probably very nice to have some company.
Copying Moses and embellishing it is the highest form of flattery.

Old 02-06-2014, 06:27 AM

8,734 posts, read 13,885,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrhockney View Post
We have an up comming Russell Crowe movie about Noah! Pwned!
Great sarcasm!

Old 02-06-2014, 11:36 AM

4,449 posts, read 4,649,539 times
Quote:
It is too bad that Nye makes fun of Noah's ark as if it is an impossibility, that if people who know all about ship building could not build a sea-worthy wooden ship smaller than the ark then therefore Noah could not make an ark the size stated in the Bible. But that is making a grand reach not based on facts but only based upon one's ignorance. Bill Nye does not really REALLY know of Noah's capabilities. He just ASSUMES Noah was incapable. That is not very scientific. But of course I remember when Nye first came out with his show he would always start his show out by saying "I'm not really a scientist." Correct me if I didn't quote him right.

If Nye is right about Noah and the ark then Jesus is wrong as is the Old Testament. This is why we don't simply avoid the topic altogether. It is important.
Interesting points. Question is it important to say satisfy 'sacred' history (as I think the above is implying) at the same time on the hunt for something which might or might not have occurred in 'deep' factual history? I think maybe only one master can be served here or do I have this examination wrong?

Old 02-06-2014, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by travric View Post
Interesting points. Question is it important to say satisfy 'sacred' history (as I think the above is implying) at the same time on the hunt for something which might or might not have occurred in 'deep' factual history? I think maybe only one master can be served here or do I have this examination wrong?
Can you give some examples of "sacred history" and examples of "deep factual history" in the bible?

Old 02-07-2014, 04:20 PM

Some think Noah was not smart enough or had enough technology to build the massive ark he built. But if we look at how advanced civilizations were right after the world-wide flood, it only stands to reason that they brought this technology into the new post-flood world.

Abraham did not live that long after the flood. Yet archeologists have uncovered three story homes from Abraham's day with toilets etc.

There were flushing toilets as early as 2,000 B.C. which puts us pretty close to the world-wide flood: http://www.omg-facts.com/History/The...B-C/33020?lp=1

Old 02-08-2014, 07:02 AM

50,157 posts, read 21,003,802 times
The latrine with a fast water -flow to flush waste away is a remarkable achievement, but that tells us nothing about Noah's abilities. The metal they used was bronze, not a sign of iron - which is what you have to have if you want to make a 400 foot -long wooden ship stay in one piece.

Also neither the Mesopotamians nor the Egyptians of the time has 'flushing' toilets (incidentally the picture shows Roman latrines of a much later date) what they had were effectively more sophisticated holes in the ground.

It is rather the old fallacy of a conclusion 'Noah had all the necessary abilities to make the Ark story work' and searching around for any one -off evidence to support the idea that there was a high technological level both before and after 4,000 BC or so.

Eusebius, you are done as brown as Ken Ham.

Old 02-08-2014, 08:42 AM

They were working in iron prior to the flood.

Gen 4:22 And Zillah, moreover, she bears Tubalcain, a forger of every tool of copper and iron.
And the sister of Tubalcain is Naamah.

Obviously Noah had all the skills necessary to build the ark because he did build it and it did work to save the 8 on board as well as the animals.

Your ignorant ranting just got flushed down the toilet like that of Abraham's day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.