Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2013, 04:12 PM

77,005 posts, read 47,597,802 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
I've no problem with people looking forward to meeting their god, if that is their ultimate desire.

I'm referring to those who delight at the prospect of me and my fellow heathens being tossed into eternal hellfire on the big judgment day.

I picture them watching from their heavenly cloud, munching popcorn, listening to the screams and high-fiving each other.
I see. I can't comment since I have never seen anyone behave that way. Could it be that you have misunderstood something? I notice you are confused about what Armageddon, rapture and judgment day are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2013, 04:54 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,168,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I see. I can't comment since I have never seen anyone behave that way. Could it be that you have misunderstood something? I notice you are confused about what Armageddon, rapture and judgment day are.
I hope you never do. And am fairly certain you won't.

Ever heard of whimsy?

I may indeed have confused the SF version of Armageddon with the biblical one, but my main point isn't what you call the day when Christ is supposed to whack the world and spirit off believers to everlasting bliss and consign heathens to everlasting hellfire.

It was, is, and will remain: Why do so many Christians relish the prospect of that day beyond, as pcamps noted, their expected reunion with their Creator? Why do they post/talk so often about atheists/pagans/wiccans/Catholics/ and yes, us poor animists spending eternity burning and screaming?

Are they trying to scare us into believing in the same angry, Odin/Zeus-like war god?

I invited, and still do, responses.

Old 11-29-2013, 05:08 PM

Quote:
I hope you never do. And am fairly certain you won't.

Ever heard of whimsy?

I may indeed have confused the SF version of Armageddon with the biblical one, but my main point isn't what you call the day when Christ is supposed to whack the world and spirit off believers to everlasting bliss and consign heathens to everlasting hellfire.

It was, is, and will remain: Why do so many Christians relish the prospect of that day beyond, as pcamps noted, their expected reunion with their Creator? Why do they post/talk so often about atheists/pagans/wiccans/Catholics/ and yes, us poor animists spending eternity burning and screaming?

Are they trying to scare us into believing in the same angry, Odin/Zeus-like war god?

I invited, and still do, responses.
I guess you would have to provide some examples of people delighting at the thought. Otherwise I will never know what you are talking about. How do these people express this "delight" or "bliss"?

Old 11-29-2013, 05:14 PM

Quote:
I guess you would have to provide some examples of people delighting at the thought. Otherwise I will never know what you are talking about. How do these people express this "delight" or "bliss"?
They do an awful lot of bolding and WRITING IN CAPS WHEN QUOTING and, yes, even underlining the biblical verses that consign unbelievers to ETERNAL AND EVERLASTING AND FOREVER AND I'M NOT KIDDING DAMNATION. And it will really, REALLY hurt!!

Like that.

Old 11-29-2013, 05:20 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,384,702 times
Quote:
They do an awful lot of bolding and WRITING IN CAPS WHEN QUOTING and, yes, even underlining the biblical verses that consign unbelievers to ETERNAL AND EVERLASTING AND FOREVER AND I'M NOT KIDDING DAMNATION. And it will really, REALLY hurt!!

Like that.
Yes but where do Christian actually do that?

Old 11-29-2013, 05:21 PM

Quote:

Like that.
Can you quote some so we can see the context and if the poster is taking delight in it. I have been here quite a while and I never got the impression that some one is taking delight in the thought of it.

Old 11-29-2013, 05:27 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,273,602 times
Quote:

Like that.
I wonder why God did not go to the same extent of leaving Adam and Eve and all the Old Testament characters in no doubt about eternal damnation?. No mention of it in the creation story, the giving of the law, the blessings and curses told them on the hills of Ebal and Gerazim, no mention of it by the prophets. Maybe God just believed it was a given that they knew of its existence.

Surely you cannot help but think any opened minded person would think "hang on a minute, you're right it simply is not mentioned in there".

Old 11-29-2013, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Can you quote some so we can see the context and if the poster is taking delight in it. I have been here quite a while and I never got the impression that some one is taking delight in the thought of it.
Ingenuousness only works with comely young ladies on tv.

Do your own homework.

HINT: You won't HAVE TO LOOK too-too far.

If you squint, you can almost see the saliva on the keyboard.

And s/he is only the latest.

Old 11-29-2013, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Ingenuousness only works with comely young ladies on tv.

Do your own homework.

HINT: You won't HAVE TO LOOK too-too far.

If you squint, you can almost see the saliva on the keyboard.

And s/he is only the latest.
In other words you cannot find any examples.

Old 11-29-2013, 11:03 PM

3,026 posts, read 3,644,049 times
While we are waiting for someone to scramble around finding examples to back up their statement, I will remind everyone of a quote by a famous president:
"Do not pray for easy lives. Pray to be stronger men."
~John F. Kennedy
The idea of the rapture runs counter to JFK's statement. I would also argument that much of the biblical interpretations are Eurocentric, when in fact, the Bible was written from a middle eastern perspective. Even if the prophecies are inspired by God, and thus destined to come to pass, a Western interpretation is still going to be wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity