Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2013, 05:52 AM

3,859 posts, read 3,045,936 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanSalvador View Post
Raised a Christian, it's been years since I went to church, but I remember always hearing that only a very, very small number of people will go to heaven and this number includes everyone who ever existed. that sounds like playing the lottery, so I will go to hell I guess. Ever thought of what would happen if you are a faithful Christian, go to church, read the bible, but in the end you still go to hell? Why? Simply because you weren't holy enough.
TRY to live your life as closely as Jesus wants you to and then let God decide whether you are going to Heaven or not. Worrying about this isn't good for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2013, 06:36 AM

2,817 posts, read 3,460,172 times
Hmmm, it seems that not many will make it:
go to church on sunday? HELL
don't follow the dietary laws? HELL
Drink beer? HELL
use the name Jesus instead of his Hebrew name? HELL
Baptized the wrong way? HELL
did not pluck your eye out? HELL
Lied? HELL
Looked at another lustfully? HELL
Did not accept jesus? HELL
Never heard of Jesus? HELL
the list is endless.
narrow is the way and few find it. that is true. but for those that cannot find the way. Out of that Gate comes the great shepherd. He comes and finds those who cannot find the gate. He will shepherd those folks that cannot find the narrow gate. He will pick that last lost sheep up, carry that sheep an His mighty shoulders and then walk back into that narrow gate with that last sheep.

Old 10-15-2013, 06:58 AM

112 posts, read 117,676 times
There is no hell..........and you don't go to heaven.

And no, the Shepherd does not herd those who are not his..........that is stealing.

Old 10-15-2013, 09:13 AM

20,438 posts, read 12,777,841 times
There is only one way to heaven, and that is through faith in the redemptive work of Jesus. Accept the free gift of God's mercy. John 3:16

Old 10-15-2013, 09:49 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,914,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F S View Post
TRY to live your life as closely as Jesus wants you to and then let God decide whether you are going to Heaven or not. Worrying about this isn't good for you.
That really wasn't the point of the OP. Let me rephrase: If only 144,000 are going to heaven, why should I try for it?

Seriously, this is only symptomatic of an idea that people have that following Christ has nothing more to offer than pie in the sky, and it's our fault for not emphasizing that rich spiritual life that Jesus called life moere abundant.

Old 10-15-2013, 09:55 AM

18,249 posts, read 16,907,876 times
Quote:
How many will go to heaven?
If the US govt shuts down day after tomorrow, none, I'm afraid as God will have to close the gates.

Old 10-15-2013, 01:33 PM

400 posts, read 601,627 times
Anyone who tells you they know how many are going to heaven is wrong or misinterpreting Scripture. To say it is God's decree that only 12,000 each from the 12 tribes in Rev. 14 are the sum total populating heaven is twisting The Word and blurring figurative and literal. I won't even delve into Rev. 7 for there shouldn't be any discussion about its meaning. The whole scheme contradicts other parts of Scripture and doesn't match Jesus's affirmations. This is how good people and Christians not firmly grounded in Scripture are misled. A few verses pulled out of context can not be seen as sound doctrine.

Last edited by bartstarr1960; 10-15-2013 at 01:43 PM..

Old 10-15-2013, 02:34 PM

18,249 posts, read 16,907,876 times
Seriously, fundamentalists believe that only approximately 1% of men and women will get into heaven. Howard Pittman in his book, "Placebo" in which he describes his near death experience said he was on an elevator going up to heaven and only saw 3 people for every 97 people on the elevator going down to hell (I am not making this stuff up; he actually said this)

Quote:
Chapter Nine --"Placebo"
As the saints were being admitted, I was wondering why I was not
being allowed to do what I came to do. I was so impatient to get my
request before God that I missed the whole point of what I saw. This
point was so important that the Holy Spirit told me Himself. I watched
the fifty saints enter Heaven but the point I missed was the time
frame involved. It was explained to me that at the same time those
fifty saints died on Earth, 1,950 other humans also died; or only 50
out of 2000 made it into Heaven. That other 1,950 were not there.
Where were they? That was only 2 ½ percent going to Heaven!
Ninety seven point five percent did not make it! Is that representative
of the entire would today? If so, 97 and ½ percent of the population
of this world today is not ready to meet God.
The sad part, my friend,
is that is exactly representative of this Laodicean Church Age in
which we live today. We are now in the time when the great majority
of church goers are only “mouth–professors” and not “heart–
possessors.”
So 2 1/2% make it into heaven as a result of Christ's redemptive work. All that coming to earth, incarnating, suffering on the cross; the humiliation, the pain, the torment of being cut off from His Father---just so 2 1/2% could make it through the pearly gates while the other 97.5% still get thrown into eternal torment in the Lake of Fire. Some redemptive plan, huh?

Old 10-15-2013, 02:46 PM

20,438 posts, read 12,777,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Seriously, fundamentalists believe that only approximately 1% of men and women will get into heaven. Howard Pittman in his book, "Placebo" in which he describes his near death experience said he was on an elevator going up to heaven and only saw 3 people for every 97 people on the elevator going down to hell (I am not making this stuff up; he actually said this)

So 2 1/2% make it into heaven as a result of Christ's redemptive work. All that coming to earth, incarnating, suffering on the cross; the humiliation, the pain, the torment of being cut off from His Father---just so 2 1/2% could make it through the pearly gates while the other 97.5% still get thrown into eternal torment in the Lake of Fire. Some victory, huh?
1%

3%

2.5%

Which is it?

Seriously, I've never heard a % mentioned in any sermon, Bible study, conference, etc.

Old 10-15-2013, 03:00 PM

14,956 posts, read 9,794,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMurph View Post
Somebody needs to post chapter and verse that says all good people go to heaven.

I want to see that one.
Romans 2; 1-11 is for you...then go study 14-16 and get back to us.

Blessings
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity