Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 12:39 AM

5,965 posts, read 7,056,458 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
No he is not right. To reject what God says in His word is to reject God Himself. And there is no spiritual growth apart from eating God's word and applying it to the circumstances of your life. 'But He (Jesus) answered and said, ''It is written, 'Man shall not live on bread alone, but on every word that proceeds out of the mouth of God.' '' (Matthew 4:4)

Doctrine is teaching. Bible doctrine is the body of truth contained in the Bible which is the word of God. You cannot grow in grace and in the knowledge of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ apart from inculcation of the word of God into your soul, for that is the basis for spiritual growth. And the Holy Spirit uses the Bible doctrine resident in the soul of the believer to guide the believer.

Bible doctrine is the believer's protection from the false doctrines of Satan's cosmic system.
As I've pointed out many times, JESUS CHRIST is the WORD of GOD - not the B-I-B-L-E. If you never learn that, I pity you because you will spend the rest of your natural life trying to preach and teach a very convoluted bunch of precepts you learned from other men and you will have nothing to show for your labor in the end. I'm sure it will be a painful lesson that you will learn either in this life or the next. May God open your eyes and set you free if you have the slightest inclination to ask of him if you are blind without realizing it. If you will not acknowledge to God privately that you might be blind, I don't see much hope in your release from the prison of religion you are building around yourself and others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2013, 04:01 AM

367 posts, read 372,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Who exactly told you that YOU are rightly dividing the scriptures . . . because whoever it was doesn't have a clue what that means? There are ONLY two covenants/testaments, period. The OT (Moses, et al.) and the NT (Christ et al.). We are under the New Covenant/Testament and all that applies to it. If you know of more covenants/testaments I would like to know what they are?
It was the Holy Spirit that live within me. You see when you become a Christian the Holy Spirit indwells you. If you don't understand that somethings that have been given prophetically in God's word are yet future then you need a lot more education than I can give you on an internet forum. But first you need to get the great teacher within you. Then you will begin to understand.

Old 03-05-2013, 09:42 AM

33,424 posts, read 26,779,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post
As I've pointed out many times, JESUS CHRIST is the WORD of GOD - not the B-I-B-L-E. If you never learn that, I pity you because you will spend the rest of your natural life trying to preach and teach a very convoluted bunch of precepts you learned from other men and you will have nothing to show for your labor in the end. I'm sure it will be a painful lesson that you will learn either in this life or the next. May God open your eyes and set you free if you have the slightest inclination to ask of him if you are blind without realizing it. If you will not acknowledge to God privately that you might be blind, I don't see much hope in your release from the prison of religion you are building around yourself and others.
The phrase 'the word of God' in the Bible is applied more often to God's communicated word than it is to the person of Jesus. The phrase applies to both. Jesus Himself in Matthew 15:6 refers to the command of God referred to in verse 4 as 'the word of God.'

That which God speaks is the 'word of God'. The Bible is God's communicated word in writing and is therefore the word of God.

In 1 Thessalonians 2:13 Paul refers to his message not as the word of men, but as the word of God.

In the book of Acts, the phrase 'the word of God' is used with reference to the gospel message numerous times.

The phrase applies to both.

Old 03-05-2013, 09:54 AM

152 posts, read 143,606 times
In all the religions there are only teachers. They teach you about subjects which you don't know, and they ask you to believe because there is no way to bring those experiences into objective reality. Neither has the teacher known them - he has believed them; he transfers his belief to somebody else.

Old 03-05-2013, 06:08 PM

64,169 posts, read 40,571,494 times
Quote:
Who exactly told you that YOU are rightly dividing the scriptures . . . because whoever it was doesn't have a clue what that means? There are ONLY two covenants/testaments, period. The OT (Moses, et al.) and the NT (Christ et al.). We are under the New Covenant/Testament and all that applies to it. If you know of more covenants/testaments I would like to know what they are?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisWayne View Post
It was the Holy Spirit that live within me. You see when you become a Christian the Holy Spirit indwells you. If you don't understand that somethings that have been given prophetically in God's word are yet future then you need a lot more education than I can give you on an internet forum. But first you need to get the great teacher within you. Then you will begin to understand.
I see. Well how many covenants/testaments did your personal Holy Spirit tell you there are?

Old 03-06-2013, 04:38 AM

Quote:
I see. Well how many covenants/testaments did your personal Holy Spirit tell you there are?
The number of covenants is not germane to the issue of when prophecies of the future will occur. My comment was in regard to the fact prophecies of future events will occur in the future and will apply to those whom God promised them to.

If your interested in learing about the covenants that God has made you may follow this link. http://www.gotquestions.org/bible-covenants.html

Old 03-06-2013, 09:14 AM

Quote:
The number of covenants is not germane to the issue of when prophecies of the future will occur. My comment was in regard to the fact prophecies of future events will occur in the future and will apply to those whom God promised them to.
Wrong. Since the New Covenant/Testament says we will need no one to teach us . . . it definitely matters. There ARE only two covenants and WE are under the second one . . . the New Covenant/Testament.

Old 03-06-2013, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Wrong. Since the New Covenant/Testament says we will need no one to teach us . . . it definitely matters. There ARE only two covenants and WE are under the second one . . . the New Covenant/Testament.
Prove there are only two and that the second one is now!

Also just how does future events have relevance now? The item your quoting is yet future so it does not apply to you and me now. When did you become Israel? Let's start with that and see if we can work through this.

Old 03-06-2013, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Prove there are only two and that the second one is now!

The term "New Testament" seems to date to Tertullian in the second century or Lactantius in the third. Lactantius:

"But all Scripture is divided into two Testaments. That which preceded the advent and passion of Christ—that is, the law and the prophets—is called the Old; but those things which were written after His resurrection are named the New Testament."

The term "new covenant" is in the Bible. Among the places already shown . . . it can be found in Luke 22:20

This cup is the new covenant in my blood, which is poured out for you

and Hebrews 9:15

For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant.

Galatians 3:23

But before faith came, we were kept under the law, shut up unto the faith which should afterwards be revealed. 24 Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith. 25 But after that faith is come, we are no longer under a schoolmaster.

Exodus 24:12

And the LORD said unto Moses, Come up to me into the mount, and be there: and I will give thee tables of stone, and a law, and commandments which I have written; that thou mayest teach them.

2 Corinthians 3:7

But if the ministration of death, written and engraven in stones, was glorious, so that the children of Israel could not stedfastly behold the face of Moses for the glory of his countenance; which glory was to be done away.

2 Corintians 3:11

For if that which is done away was glorious, much more that which remaineth is glorious.

Rom 7:6

But now we are delivered from the law, that being dead wherein we were held; that we should serve in newness of spirit, and not in the oldness of the letter.

The OT was necessary to establish the expectation of Jesus and predict the way His life and death would occur and the impact He would have for millennia. Jesus fulfilled all the expectations of His day and for every day since for 2000+ years. That is what fulfilling the OT means and that is what validates Christianity. The veil of ignorance that blinded our ancestors to God's TRUE NATURE from the misinterpretations of the OT was lifted by Jesus and His example and teaching. It has no further role in understanding God . . . only righteousness and providing hope . . . Jesus is the TRUE NATURE of God . . . not the heinous misunderstandings of the OT. The prophesies being fulfilled for 2000+ years despite the errors in the OT are sufficient validation. All those heinous things attributed to God in the OT were no part of God . . . they were evil and only humans do evil.

Satan's biggest weapon is human ignorance and convincing humans that to be ignorant is what God wants and prefers. Satan has convinced too many that fear of God is what God wants . . . because it eliminates any true "love of God and each other" The primitive motivation of fear of wrath and punishment was the schoolmaster for our savage ancestors. God's loving concern and desire for us to avoid the natural consequences of our failure to mature spiritually is the understanding of Christ. The heinous OT beliefs in scripture are proof positive that Satan (the Serpent of our ignorant animal nature) is alive and well in the world and has been corrupting our thoughts since the beginning. Jesus came to do away with such primitive impressions of God and foster the "love of God and each other." I weep for those who will probably hear . . ."Depart from me . . ." when they were only trying to follow God by exalting ignorance as a virtue.

Old 03-06-2013, 05:02 PM

Quote:
The term "New Testament" seems to date to Tertullian in the second century or Lactantius in the third. Lactantius:

"But all Scripture is divided into two Testaments. That which preceded the advent and passion of Christ—that is, the law and the prophets—is called the Old; but those things which were written after His resurrection are named the New Testament."

The term "new covenant" is in the Bible. Among the places already shown . . . it can be found in Luke 22:20

This cup is the new covenant in my blood, which is poured out for you

and Hebrews 9:15

For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant.

Galatians 3:23

But before faith came, we were kept under the law, shut up unto the faith which should afterwards be revealed. 24 Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith. 25 But after that faith is come, we are no longer under a schoolmaster.

Exodus 24:12

And the LORD said unto Moses, Come up to me into the mount, and be there: and I will give thee tables of stone, and a law, and commandments which I have written; that thou mayest teach them.

2 Corinthians 3:7

But if the ministration of death, written and engraven in stones, was glorious, so that the children of Israel could not stedfastly behold the face of Moses for the glory of his countenance; which glory was to be done away.

2 Corintians 3:11

For if that which is done away was glorious, much more that which remaineth is glorious.

Rom 7:6

But now we are delivered from the law, that being dead wherein we were held; that we should serve in newness of spirit, and not in the oldness of the letter.

The OT was necessary to establish the expectation of Jesus and predict the way His life and death would occur and the impact He would have for millennia. Jesus fulfilled all the expectations of His day and for every day since for 2000+ years. That is what fulfilling the OT means and that is what validates Christianity. The veil of ignorance that blinded our ancestors to God's TRUE NATURE from the misinterpretations of the OT was lifted by Jesus and His example and teaching. It has no further role in understanding God . . . only righteousness and providing hope . . . Jesus is the TRUE NATURE of God . . . not the heinous misunderstandings of the OT. The prophesies being fulfilled for 2000+ years despite the errors in the OT are sufficient validation. All those heinous things attributed to God in the OT were no part of God . . . they were evil and only humans do evil.

Satan's biggest weapon is human ignorance and convincing humans that to be ignorant is what God wants and prefers. Satan has convinced too many that fear of God is what God wants . . . because it eliminates any true "love of God and each other" The primitive motivation of fear of wrath and punishment was the schoolmaster for our savage ancestors. God's loving concern and desire for us to avoid the natural consequences of our failure to mature spiritually is the understanding of Christ. The heinous OT beliefs in scripture are proof positive that Satan (the Serpent of our ignorant animal nature) is alive and well in the world and has been corrupting our thoughts since the beginning. Jesus came to do away with such primitive impressions of God and foster the "love of God and each other." I weep for those who will probably hear . . ."Depart from me . . ." when they were only trying to follow God by exalting ignorance as a virtue.
So because some man decided to call a group of books in your bible the Old Testament and some the New Testament you think that is all there is?

It is good that you recognize the difference between Law and Grace. That's a good start. But you must also recognize the future events have not happened yet.

Maybe we need to start a thread on the covenants of God.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity