Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2013, 11:57 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,184,745 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
If you were raised Christian, you were taught about sin. Christians seem to think of sins as equally bad. The Catholics raised us with the concept of mortal and venial sin.

If one looks at the Ten Commandments, this would imply that a) murdering someone, b) missing Mass, c) telling a lie, and d) eying the neighbor's new car are all on the same plateau. BUNK.

It's called conscience. I don't confess every last needle in a haystack when I've gone (past tense) to confession. I indeed think there is a HIERARCHY of what is sinful and believe in situational ethics. I got into an argument in college over situational ethics with a professor of an Ethics course who believed in absolute ethics. I think there are times you SHOULD tell a white lie, if you foresee a "safer" outcome from doing so. Would someone confess the "wordsmithed" embellishment or "dumbing down" of a resume, for example, if it didn't affect the subsequent outcome? NO.

If you believe in sin, or doing things with are transgressions against what is right, do you believe in a hierarchy of sin? Does your sense of culpability reflect that?
Any sin whatsoever gets you a ticket to hell. Of course, Jesus said that it would be more tolerable for Tyre and Sidon on the day of judgment than for Chorazin and Bethsaida. That tells me that there will be different types of punishment dealt out.

The solution is Christ. With Christ on your side, standing between you and the wrathful God, you'll not see any punishment--no matter what your sin is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2013, 12:19 AM

14,725 posts, read 33,361,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Any sin whatsoever gets you a ticket to hell.
A teenager who has steals 79 cent candy bars every once in a while because his or her moral compass is a a little off, and doesn't do anything else sinful, and I'm hypothesizing, gets a "nice" fire and sulfur bath for eternity. Is that what you're saying? He or she may be nominally Christian, but they may never repent of that sin because it didn't gel with them that it was a big deal, so they believe in Christ but they probably forgot what they did.

I have been raised to think that both Christ and God are forgiving and NOT negative. May I ask what causes your faith to be anchored in fear, by my standards, and when and where you were indoctrinated? Did you think like this through age 10? Age 20? Later? I'm just curious, because your posts have a similar theme, as do mine, albeit a different one.

Old 02-03-2013, 12:43 AM

63,788 posts, read 40,053,123 times
Quote:
A teenager who has steals 79 cent candy bars every once in a while because his or her moral compass is a a little off, and doesn't do anything else sinful, and I'm hypothesizing, gets a "nice" fire and sulfur bath for eternity. Is that what you're saying? He or she may be nominally Christian, but they may never repent of that sin because it didn't gel with them that it was a big deal, so they believe in Christ but they probably forgot what they did.

I have been raised to think that both Christ and God are forgiving and NOT negative. May I ask what causes your faith to be anchored in fear, by my standards, and when and where you were indoctrinated? Did you think like this through age 10? Age 20? Later? I'm just curious, because your posts have a similar theme, as do mine, albeit a different one.
Sin-focused Christians are not following Christ's commands to "love god and each other." They follow a different spirit of fear and punishment . . . that was appropriate for our primitive and savage ancestors to motivate the development of self-control. But the motive Christ revealed and spread through His teachings is Love . . . and love casts out all fear. That is why Christ freed us from sin and God is not counting them against us. We are judged on our love for God and each other, period.

Old 02-03-2013, 06:14 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,608,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Any sin whatsoever gets you a ticket to hell. Of course, Jesus said that it would be more tolerable for Tyre and Sidon on the day of judgment than for Chorazin and Bethsaida. That tells me that there will be different types of punishment dealt out.

The solution is Christ. With Christ on your side, standing between you and the wrathful God, you'll not see any punishment--no matter what your sin is.
Yes, that solution takes care of all sin, trivial, and non-trivial. Unbelief is the deadly sin, and it shall not be forgiven if you die in state of unbelief.

Old 02-03-2013, 06:16 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,608,156 times
Quote:

Any unsaved person gets the ticket even if they didn't steal the candy bars.

Old 02-03-2013, 03:07 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,279,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Yes, that solution takes care of all sin, trivial, and non-trivial. Unbelief is the deadly sin, and it shall not be forgiven if you die in state of unbelief.
Do you have scripture to back up that unbelief is the deadly sin ?.

You do understand that unbelief is a state that man fell into.
God hath concluded them all in unbelief, that he might have mercy upon all. There's mercy upon unbelief before a man breathes his last, it happened when they were concluded in unbelief. I know if you are of the same spirit of the older son its a hard one to swallow, when YOU have been slaving for God and never disobeyed His orders, to find in your Fathers house, one who had a life of wild living.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity