Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2011, 03:28 PM

9,007 posts, read 13,838,057 times

Advertisements

I have bible study with Jehovah's witnesses and I have a question.
She said if you know something is wrong,and you still do it,that you are making a mockery of God.

I want you guys interpetation of this. If someone willfully sins after accepting the Jesus as son of God,can they be forgiven?

For instance,someone wants to fornicate. They think"ill fornicate now and then ask God for forgiveness later".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2011, 03:32 PM

2,472 posts, read 3,197,786 times
You do realize there are hundreds of millions of christians "sinning" everyday, right?

Old 10-12-2011, 03:34 PM

5,925 posts, read 6,946,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
She said if you know something is wrong,and you still do it,that you are making a mockery of God.

I want you guys interpetation of this. If someone willfully sins after accepting the Jesus as son of God,can they be forgiven?

For instance,someone wants to fornicate. They think"ill fornicate now and then ask God for forgiveness later".

Everyone can be forgiven, that doesn't mean a person won't reap any consequenses for thier actions.

A person who says, I'll do this and ask forgiveness later couldn't care less about forgivness in the first place and is miserable inside. I personally have never met anyone who by taking that attitude ever made their life better and usually they are always in a stupor wondering why their life sucks and usually they are their own worst enemy.

Old 10-12-2011, 03:52 PM

5,438 posts, read 5,943,926 times
Quote:

First of all, the JW's are false teachers. Secondly, if a truly born again child of God willfully sins, then they have lost their salvation; you can be forgiven if you're determined to come out of all sin once and for all and live holy before God. Lastly, a mere thought of fornication is not sin, so long as you don't let it lodge in your heart. Jesus spoke of adultery of the heart, not adultery of the mind. The devil will tempt us through our minds, but we must use Jesus' divine blood and the Word of God as weapons against satan to get rid of thoughts that exalt themselves above the knowledge of God. When Jesus spoke of adultery of the heart, He meant that if you would have intercourse, given the opportunity, with someone who is off limits, then you have committed adultery of the heart before actually carrying out the sin. But, if you would not under any circumstances commit fornication, then you are just being tempted. As long as the love of God is within you, you will resist the sin. The devil can feed our minds with all kinds of unsavory thoughts, but we have to learn to recognize them and to get rid of them. Once again, the blood of Jesus and the Word of God used in pure faith will drive the devil away.

Quote:
This kind of thinking is unacceptable. I can't imagine someone enduring to the end to receive eternal life who thinks like that.

Old 10-12-2011, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganusn View Post
You do realize there are hundreds of millions of christians "sinning" everyday, right?
Are they willfully sinning? Doesn't that mean they were not saved then in the first place? Or they fell out of favor?

Old 10-12-2011, 04:04 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,180,466 times
Romans 6 answers that issue. I did some posts on it a while back. Salvation is ensured to the believer. Sanctification is the goal of our earthly life - to make our life look like Christ.

Studies in Romans 6:1-7

Studies in Romans 6:8-14

Studies in Romans 6:15-23

Old 10-12-2011, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scgraham View Post
First of all, the JW's are false teachers. Secondly, if a truly born again child of God willfully sins, then they have lost their salvation; you can be forgiven if you're determined to come out of all sin once and for all and live holy before God. Lastly, a mere thought of fornication is not sin, so long as you don't let it lodge in your heart. Jesus spoke of adultery of the heart, not adultery of the mind. The devil will tempt us through our minds, but we must use Jesus' divine blood and the Word of God as weapons against satan to get rid of thoughts that exalt themselves above the knowledge of God. When Jesus spoke of adultery of the heart, He meant that if you would have intercourse, given the opportunity, with someone who is off limits, then you have committed adultery of the heart before actually carrying out the sin. But, if you would not under any circumstances commit fornication, then you are just being tempted. As long as the love of God is within you, you will resist the sin. The devil can feed our minds with all kinds of unsavory thoughts, but we have to learn to recognize them and to get rid of them. Once again, the blood of Jesus and the Word of God used in pure faith will drive the devil away.

This kind of thinking is unacceptable. I can't imagine someone enduring to the end to receive eternal life who thinks like that.
Even merely thinking about stealing or fornication is sinful I thought?
From what I understand,thinking about sin can be sinful;thoughts can be sinful.
For example,a sinful thought of fornication comes in you mind. You let it fester for sometime,you desire it,and when the opportunity arises you commit it.
She said that's how thoughts are sinful. Can't remember the scripture she refered to.

Something else in your post I have to ask. The JW said that Satan can't read our minds. She said he goes by our actions. Do you believe that?

Old 10-12-2011, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Even thinking about stealing or fornication is sinful I thought?
Once again, so long as you reject the temptation, you have not sinned; it's temptation.

Quote:
From what I understand,thinking about sin can be sinful;thoughts can be sinful.
For example,a sinful thought of fornication comes in you mind. You let it fester for sometime,you desire it,and when the opportunity arises you commit it.
She said that's how thoughts are sinful. Can't remember the scripture she refered to.
It isn't wise to embrace thoughts of sin, for it opens the door to actually falling into that sin. But, the mere thought of sin is not sin, just temptation. Resist the devil and he will flee.

Quote:
Something else in your post I have to ask. The JW said that Satan can't read our minds. She said he goes by our actions. Do you believe that?
I have never given that much thought, but I do know that the devil can feed our minds with all kinds of trash. We have to learn to clean out that junk with the Word of God and blood of the Lamb.

Old 10-12-2011, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganusn View Post
If they are willfully sinning, then they don't belong to the Lord.

Old 10-12-2011, 05:21 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,289,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scgraham View Post
If they are willfully sinning, then they don't belong to the Lord.
If you categorize sin you are heading down the broad way of destruction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity