Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 02:22 PM

6,822 posts, read 6,647,046 times

Advertisements

Blue Letter Bible - Commentaries - Martin Luther - Luther's Commentaries

This is a quote from a commentary by Martin Luther in Galatians 5:13.

I just find it fascinating because it shows things haven't changed. We're in a different time, but not a different people.

What we learn is that we should use judgment in our "witnessing" efforts (ie casting pearls before the swine)... choosing who can receive this message.

From what I've found, meekness and curiosity are two primary attributes to look for in people when sharing the gospel message.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2012, 02:35 PM

37,340 posts, read 28,347,878 times
Thankfully they are the words of Luther and not the Spirit. The message is Good News, always has been always will be, it does not need to be changed to speak to a man's heart, unless of cause you doubt the saving power of the Good News.

Old 04-23-2012, 03:17 PM

20,444 posts, read 12,821,585 times
Perhaps that's what Jesus meant here:

Matthew 10

34 “Do not suppose that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I did not come to bring peace, but a sword.

Old 04-23-2012, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Perhaps that's what Jesus meant here:

Matthew 10

34 “Do not suppose that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I did not come to bring peace, but a sword.
If your comfortable in your religion, then a sword not peace is what He is bringing. Many received peace, it was the Scribes and Pharisees who received the sword.

Old 04-23-2012, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
If your comfortable in your religion, then a sword not peace is what He is bringing. Many received peace, it was the Scribes and Pharisees who received the sword.
That's pretty much what I meant.

Old 04-23-2012, 05:03 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,512,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee9786 View Post
Blue Letter Bible - Commentaries - Martin Luther - Luther's Commentaries

This is a quote from a commentary by Martin Luther in Galatians 5:13.

I just find it fascinating because it shows things haven't changed. We're in a different time, but not a different people.

What we learn is that we should use judgment in our "witnessing" efforts (ie casting pearls before the swine)... choosing who can receive this message.

From what I've found, meekness and curiosity are two primary attributes to look for in people when sharing the gospel message.

Thoughts?
Correct.. things have not changed.

The gospel message is based on the new covenant that was revealed to Jeremiah, in which it was a one sided covenant between God and humanity. Thus the comment
"Be steadfast, not careless. Lie not down and sleep, but stand up. Be watchful. Hold fast the liberty wherewith Christ hath made you free." Those who loll cannot keep this liberty. Satan hates the light of the Gospel. When it begins to shine a little he fights against it with might and main."
there are many then and today who oppose the one sided covenant in Jeremiah's revelation. Any who doubts can read Jeremiah 31:31-34

God didn't revealed that:
  • human effort is required along with belief
  • good works in any measure is required along with belief
  • financial restitution of any amount is required with belief
  • being obedient to the law is required along with belief
  • membership in any church or organization is required with belief
  • forgiveness isn't conditional on feelings
These where some of the issue's facing believers at Luther's time and are still with us today. If Luther was alive today, he would be no less adamant and not willing to compromise the truths on forums today as he was sitting in a castle formulating the response to the mandate to retract and knuckle under... which was delivered ar the Deit of Worms 1521.

Old 04-23-2012, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
That's pretty much what I meant.
And you have to ask yourself is the belief I project to others one that is burdensome and legalistic,along with hypocrisy the hallmarks of the scripture believing(?) scribe and Pharisee ?

Jesus never brought the sword down on the tax collectors, publicans and prostitutes, the big sinners of the day , He projected to them one of love, grace and forgiveness, they didn't need to be told they were hell bound sinners if they didn't repent( although you will probably cross land and sea to find the scripture that may suggest otherwise) love grace and forgiveness turned them around to their heavenly Father.

Old 04-23-2012, 07:37 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,939,123 times
Lee. I think you're right. Time place and context should be considered. Eg. A bunch of drunken football fans at halftime of the Superbowl party?? You're probably wasting your time.

Old 04-23-2012, 08:23 PM

Quote:
And you have to ask yourself, is the belief I project to others one that is burdensome and legalistic, along with hypocrisy the hallmarks of the scripture believing(?) scribe and Pharisee?
No, it isn't. Jesus did the work for us, on the cross. We need only accept His free gift.

Matthew 11:30
"For my yoke is easy and my burden is light."

John 3:16

16 “For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life."

Quote:
Jesus never brought the sword down on the tax collectors, publicans and prostitutes, the big sinners of the day , He projected to them one of love, grace and forgiveness, they didn't need to be told they were hell bound sinners if they didn't repent( although you will probably cross land and sea to find the scripture that may suggest otherwise) love grace and forgiveness turned them around to their heavenly Father.
You are correct. I'm glad you agree Jesus did bring a sword for those who rejected Him.

Old 04-23-2012, 08:52 PM

6,822 posts, read 6,647,046 times
Just came across this and thought I'd share it. I know one of my problems has been attempting to persuade the seemingly unpersuadable. Gotta pick who to share the gospel with using discernment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity