Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 05:13 PM

37,348 posts, read 28,513,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
So, are we to share the gospel? If we (the gospel) is rebuffed numerous times, what are we to do?
Not worry about it, but leave them in capable hands of Him that causes them to repent. If you don't you walk away with dust on your feet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2012, 05:16 PM

17,164 posts, read 11,488,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saved33 View Post
Paul and Barnabas in Acts 13 "shook the dust off" as well.
I realize that many Christians have a tendency to equate Paul's example and words with Jesus' and apparently consider him to have been sinless and above reproach in all that he said and did. I do not.

However, in this case, Paul may have been following Jesus' instructions since he did this in response to the [self-righteous] Jews who not only didn't receive the message, but physically kicked them out of their land. It was Jesus' command to the disciples in Matt 10 to take the message to the lost sheep of Israel, the Jews. Further, Acts proclaims that Paul was doing many miraculous signs throughout his ministry so, if that was the case, power was apparently accompanying his message.

I'll give him the benefit of the doubt in this case, then, that "shaking the dust off" may have been the right thing to do -- for him, in that specific situation. After all, considering that he'd been physically booted out of the vicinity, there wasn't much else for him to do, anyway, hey?

And hopefully, he was "shaking the dust" as a symbol that he was shaking off any resentment or unforgiveness he might be harboring in his heart for having been persecuted so that he was also following Jesus' and Stephen's example by saying, in effect, "Father forgive them, for they know not what they do."

Old 04-24-2012, 05:32 PM

1,263 posts, read 1,398,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
I realize that many Christians have a tendency to equate Paul's example and words with Jesus' and apparently consider him to have been sinless and above reproach in all that he said and did. I do not.

However, in this case, Paul may have been following Jesus' instructions since he did this in response to the [self-righteous] Jews who not only didn't receive the message, but physically kicked them out of their land. It was Jesus' command to the disciples in Matt 10 to take the message to the lost sheep of Israel, the Jews. Further, Acts proclaims that Paul was doing many miraculous signs throughout his ministry so, if that was the case, power was apparently accompanying his message.

I'll give him the benefit of the doubt in this case, then, that "shaking the dust off" may have been the right thing to do -- for him, in that specific situation. After all, considering that he'd been physically booted out of the vicinity, there wasn't much else for him to do, anyway, hey?

And hopefully, he was "shaking the dust" as a symbol that he was shaking off any resentment or unforgiveness he might be harboring in his heart for having been persecuted so that he was also following Jesus' and Stephen's example by saying, in effect, "Father forgive them, for they know not what they do."

No, Paul and Barnabas were not harboring ill feelings...no Christian should. I personally do not know any that do either.

51So they shook the dust from their feet in protest against them and went to Iconium. 52And the disciples were filled with joy and with the Holy Spirit.

Old 04-24-2012, 05:41 PM

Quote:
No, Paul and Barnabas were not harboring ill feelings...no Christian should. I personally do not know any that do either.

51So they shook the dust from their feet in protest against them and went to Iconium. 52And the disciples were filled with joy and with the Holy Spirit.
I didn't say they were harboring ill feelings.

Old 04-24-2012, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Not worry about it, but leave them in capable hands of Him that causes them to repent. If you don't you walk away with dust on your feet.
The best way to shake the dust off your feet is to walk away in unconditional forgiveness.

Father forgive them they know not what they do.

No need to threaten them

Old 04-24-2012, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
The best way to shake the dust off your feet is to walk away in unconditional forgiveness.

Father forgive them they know not what they do.

No need to threaten them

Or insult them and call them swine or dogs.

Old 04-24-2012, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Or insult them and call them swine or dogs.
And they wonder why they get insulted back, o I forgot they are persecuted because of Jesus

That haughty heart attitude comes from reading the scriptures and thinking they are talking about someone else other than ourselves.

Camps the cherry picking Pharisee.

Old 04-24-2012, 06:39 PM

64,170 posts, read 40,596,057 times
Quote:
I repeat:

Beyond that, when you [generic you] are demonstrating that you have the power of the Spirit of Christ to cast out "unclean spirits" and to heal all manner of sickness and disease, are raising the dead and are proclaiming that the kingdom of God is at hand (and can demonstrate what that you know what that actually means), then we can discuss what verse 14 means.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
So, are we to share the gospel? If we (the gospel) is rebuffed numerous times, what are we to do?
Quote:
If I were you, I'd make sure you actually know why the message you are sharing is being rebuffed. It might very well be that it's not the "good news" after all. Especially if your message is not accompanied by the signs of the POWER of that message.
Quote:
Paul and Barnabas in Acts 13 "shook the dust off" as well.
Quote:

You are doing an excellent job explaining the Gospel of love, Pleroo. They refuse to admit that it is NOT the Gospel that is rebuffed . . . it is THEIR interpretation of the Gospel . . . and not by unbelievers but by believers in the Gospel and followers of Christ. Treating Gospel believing followers of Christ "like dirt" and "dusting them off" because they disagree with THEM . . . is NOT Christian. It is pride, vanity and hubris . . . NOT defense of the Gospel. There is nothing to defend from believers in Christ.

Old 04-24-2012, 06:54 PM

1,263 posts, read 1,398,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
You are doing an excellent job explaining the Gospel of love, Pleroo. They refuse to admit that it is NOT the Gospel that is rebuffed . . . it is THEIR interpretation of the Gospel . . . and not by unbelievers but by believers in the Gospel and followers of Christ. Treating Gospel believing followers of Christ "like dirt" and "dusting them off" because they disagree with THEM . . . is NOT Christian. It is pride, vanity and hubris . . . NOT defense of the Gospel. There is nothing to defend from believers in Christ.
It is called the gospel of Jesus Christ, not the gospel of love. This is where a lot of folks turn down the broad road.

He will punish those who do not know God and do not obey the gospel of our Lord Jesus. (2 Thess. 1:8)

Old 04-24-2012, 07:19 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,544,671 times
If, it be possible:

"Be at peace with all men, otherwise you will become a hypocrite."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity