Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2012, 08:11 PM

64,169 posts, read 40,552,379 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanaBrown View Post
Hi Mishipmate, that point that I was making is that the Father gave Jesus this name. If Jesus is all that the Father His God is, then He would not be given anything. He would already have it. The Father is the Source of all and the Son proceeds from the Father. The Father already had and has all and the Son has been given all.

Many were worshipped in the days when Jesus walked on the earth and in the OT days. But only one is to worshipped as the One and Only True God and that is our Father. Jesus is not on the same level. He even told us this. God bless and peace.
Quote:
Hebrew Word Meanings

God bless and peace.
Your scholarship blesses us all, Shana. The Holy Spirit is strong in you. God Bless. Still can't rep you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2012, 09:10 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,556,311 times
Quote:
Hi Mishipmate, that point that I was making is that the Father gave Jesus this name. If Jesus is all that the Father His God is, then He would not be given anything. He would already have it. The Father is the Source of all and the Son proceeds from the Father. The Father already had and has all and the Son has been given all.

Many were worshipped in the days when Jesus walked on the earth and in the OT days. But only one is to worshipped as the One and Only True God and that is our Father. Jesus is not on the same level. He even told us this. God bless and peace.
Moderator cut: personal attack

Did Thomas say or did he not to Jesus:
"My Lord and my God" John 20:28
Did the women or did they not do this to Jesus:
Suddenly Jesus met them. “ ' Greetings,' he said. They came to him, clasped his feet and worshiped him " Matthew 28:9

Did the disciples or did they not do this to Jesus:
"Then the eleven disciples went to Galilee, to the mountain where Jesus had told them to go. When they saw him, they worshiped him; " Matthew 28:17

" Then they worshiped him and returned to Jerusalem with great joy." Luke 24:52

Did this man or did he not do this to Jesus:
Then the man said, “Lord, I believe,” and he worshiped him. John 9:38

Did the church in Antiochdo or did they not do this:
" In the church at Antioch there were prophets and teachers: Barnabas, Simeon called Niger, Lucius of Cyrene, Manaen (who had been brought up with Herod the tetrarch) and Saul. While they were worshiping the Lord and fasting .... "Acts 13:1-2

Did Jesus rebuke Thomas ......... NO! Jesus did not!!
Did Jesus rebuke the women .... NO! Jesus did not!!
Did Jesus rebuke the disciples.... NO! Jesus did not !!
Did Jesus rebuke the man ........ NO! Jesus did not!!
Was the Church of Antioch rebuked ............ NO ! They were not !!

Last edited by june 7th; 03-17-2012 at 09:38 PM..

Old 03-17-2012, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
Ok Shana, I'm getting tired of your constant attacks upon the truth and wanton distortion.

Did Thomas say or did he not to Jesus:
"My Lord and my God" John 20:28
Did the women or did they not do this to Jesus:
Suddenly Jesus met them. “ ' Greetings,' he said. They came to him, clasped his feet and worshiped him " Matthew 28:9

Did the disciples or did they not do this to Jesus:
"Then the eleven disciples went to Galilee, to the mountain where Jesus had told them to go. When they saw him, they worshiped him; " Matthew 28:17

" Then they worshiped him and returned to Jerusalem with great joy." Luke 24:52

Did this man or did he not do this to Jesus:
Then the man said, “Lord, I believe,” and he worshiped him. John 9:38

Did the church in Antiochdo or did they not do this:
" In the church at Antioch there were prophets and teachers: Barnabas, Simeon called Niger, Lucius of Cyrene, Manaen (who had been brought up with Herod the tetrarch) and Saul. While they were worshiping the Lord and fasting .... "Acts 13:1-2

Did Jesus rebuke Thomas ......... NO! Jesus did not!!
Did Jesus rebuke the women .... NO! Jesus did not!!
Did Jesus rebuke the disciples.... NO! Jesus did not !!
Did Jesus rebuke the man ........ NO! Jesus did not!!
Was the Church of Antioch rebuked ............ NO ! They were not !!
Clearly you did NOT read the link . . . as you usually fail to do . . . so here it is with an excerpt from it.

Hebrew Word Meanings

In our modern western culture worship is an action directed toward God and God alone. But this is not the case in the Hebrew Bible. The word shehhah is a common Hebrew word meaning to prostrate oneself before another in respect. We see Moses doing this to his father in law in Exodus 18:7. When the translators translate the word shehhah they will use the word "worship" when the bowing down is directed toward God but as "obeisance" or other equivalent word when directed toward another man.

Old 03-17-2012, 09:48 PM

15,004 posts, read 17,343,034 times
Back on a little later but posting Matthew 28:

"9and as they were going to tell to his disciples, then lo, Jesus met them, saying, `Hail!' and they having come near, laid hold of his feet, and did bow to him. (Young's Literal)

Luke 24:52
"52and they, having bowed before him, did turn back to Jerusalem with great joy, (YL)

Matthew 28:17
"17and having seen him, they bowed to him, but some did waver. (YL)

John 9:38
"17and having seen him, they bowed to him, but some did waver. (YL)

Acts 13
"1And there were certain in Antioch, in the assembly there, prophets and teachers; both Barnabas, and Simeon who is called Niger, and Lucius the Cyrenian, Manaen also -- Herod the tetrarch's foster-brother -- and Saul;
2and in their ministering to the Lord and fasting, the Holy Spirit said, `Separate ye to me both Barnabas and Saul to the work to which I have called them,' (YL)

Thanks, Mystic. God bless and peace.

Old 03-17-2012, 10:07 PM

bow in the above passages=Proskuneo

to kiss the hand to (towards) one, in token of reverence
  1. among the Orientals, esp. the Persians, to fall upon the knees and touch the ground with the forehead as an expression of profound reverence
  2. in the NT by kneeling or prostration to do homage (to one) or make obeisance, whether in order to express respect or to make supplication
    1. used of homage shown to men and beings of superior rank
      1. to the Jewish high priests
      2. to God
      3. to Christ
      4. to heavenly beings
      5. to demons
Proskuneo - Greek Lexicon

God bless and peace.

Old 03-17-2012, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Clearly you did NOT read the link . . . as you usually fail to do . . . so here it is with an excerpt from it.

Hebrew Word Meanings

In our modern western culture worship is an action directed toward God and God alone. But this is not the case in the Hebrew Bible. The word shehhah is a common Hebrew word meaning to prostrate oneself before another in respect. We see Moses doing this to his father in law in Exodus 18:7. When the translators translate the word shehhah they will use the word "worship" when the bowing down is directed toward God but as "obeisance" or other equivalent word when directed toward another man.
I'm not interested in Godless explanations of hebrew word meanings from "a bad tree that bears no good fruit"

Yes, I don't have to read any links you provide since I know the only reason you would is to reinforce the open hostility you have toward the Bible.

Old 03-17-2012, 10:58 PM

Our Lord has a God and His God is the Father. The Father is the One True God.

Romans 15:6 (English-NIV)
so that with one heart and mouth you may glorify the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ.

2 Corinthians 1:3 (English-NIV)
Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort,

2 Corinthians 11:31 (English-NIV)
The God and Father of the Lord Jesus, who is to be praised forever, knows that I am not lying.

Ephesians 1:3 (English-NIV)
Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us in the heavenly realms with every spiritual blessing in Christ

God bless and peace.

Old 03-17-2012, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
I'm not interested in Godless explanations of hebrew word meanings from "a bad tree that bears no good fruit"
What is the bad tree?
Quote:
Yes, I don't have to read any links you provide since I know the only reason you would is to reinforce the open hostility you have toward the Bible.
I have no hostility whatsoever toward the Bible. I read it and use it regularly in my witness as the God-inspired scriptures that tell of Christ the Living Word of God and His Gospel. I don't abuse it by imposing the "precepts and doctrines of men" on the interpretation of it. I rely on Christ who abides with us and His Holy Spirit to guide me to what God has "written in our hearts" to discern the truth. You should try it Twin . . . it is liberating.

Old 03-18-2012, 12:13 AM

Quote:
What is the bad tree?
Or as Pilot asked "What is truth"

A bad tree is one whom misplaces the authoritative source of the truth, which usually finds fault or minimizes the Bible.

They go out of their way to redefine words... never taking the Bible in its entirety, always promoting half truths at the expense of other scriptures which are no less truthful.

Just how manny times must it be said that the Holy Spirit reveals that Jesus is true man AND true God. To repeatedly ignore these truths after so many times explained is wanton .... nothing less.

Quote:
I have no hostility whatsoever toward the Bible. I read it and use it regularly in my witness as the God-inspired scriptures that tell of Christ the Living Word of God and His Gospel. I don't abuse it by imposing the "precepts and doctrines of men" on the interpretation of it. I rely on Christ who abides with us and His Holy Spirit to guide me to what God has "written in our hearts" to discern the truth. You should try it Twin . . . it is liberating.
You're kidding yourself. When you make your heart the final source, you are by default hostile toward the Bible.

Old 03-18-2012, 12:48 AM

5,965 posts, read 7,053,646 times
Quote:
What is the bad tree?I have no hostility whatsoever toward the Bible. I read it and use it regularly in my witness as the God-inspired scriptures that tell of Christ the Living Word of God and His Gospel. I don't abuse it by imposing the "precepts and doctrines of men" on the interpretation of it. I rely on Christ who abides with us and His Holy Spirit to guide me to what God has "written in our hearts" to discern the truth. You should try it Twin . . . it is liberating.
And you don't mis-use the truths within the bible to abuse and/or condemn others because you know God's love and mercy are toward all. Those who believe God only loves SOME constantly use the scriptures as a weapon to try to hurt or 'kill' their brothers/sisters. If you disagree with certain people, they will write you off as one worthy of eternal torment in the blink of an eye. What does that reveal about the heart?

But we know that the Law is good, if one uses it lawfully, realizing the fact that law is not made for a righteous person, but for those who are lawless and rebellious, for the ungodly and sinners, for the unholy and profane, for those who kill their fathers or mothers, for murderers, For fornicators, for them that defile themselves with mankind, for enslavers, for liars, for perjured persons, and if there be any other thing that is contrary to sound doctrine 1Timothy 1:8-10
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity