Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2011, 06:55 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,948,525 times

Advertisements

Romans 1:20 states the following:

"For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse..."

This passage is frequently quoted by people who believe that everyone who has ever lived has had a fair chance to accept the gospel of Jesus Christ and to accept Him as their Savior. I don't see that verse as saying this at all. To me, it's one thing to acknowledge a Creator, and something else entirely to recognize that Jesus Christ was sent to earth to atone for our sins and to grant us eternal life. I believe there are billions of people who died without ever hearing of Jesus Christ. To begin with, it took time for Christianity to spread to all of the populated nations of the world. Undoubtedly, hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of people lived their lives without ever having heard the Christian gospel taught, realizing that they could be forgiven of their sins and that they could live again after they'd died. Even today, billions live in countries where they are not free to even study Christianity, and in some of these places, children are actually indoctrinated against Christianity from an early age. For this reason, I believe it's completely unrealistic to assume that Romans 1:20 means what many people say it does.

The question was asked of me on another thread, "I read that mormons believe that those who never heard the gospel get a second chance after death when they are in "spirit prison."

I'll respond to that question shortly, but I thought it would be interesting to see what everybody else thinks. For obvious reasons, I am asking this question of my fellow Christians. What do you think happens to people who die without ever hearing the gospel of Jesus Christ? How are they to accept something they have never been taught?
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2011, 07:16 PM

The LDS perspective:

Immediately after death the spirit leaves the body and goes to the Spirit World to await the resurrection, when it will be reunited with a new, perfected immortal body. The spirit is eternal and continues to be a cognizant entity, even when not inhabiting a physical body.

The Spirit World is not the same place as either Heaven or Hell. It is a sort of an intermediate destination. Heaven (for most) or Hell (for a tiny minority) will come later. The Spirit World is said to be comprised of two parts (states of existence, actually, as opposed to literal places). First, there is Paradise. It is a wonderful place of peace and rest where the righteous (regardless of religion) will reside. Jesus told the repentant thief who hung next to Him on the cross that He would see him in Paradise on that very day, and yet when He appeared to Mary on Easter morning, He told her not to touch Him since He had not yet gone to His Father in Heaven. Clearly then, Heaven and Paradise are not one and the same. Second there is the Spirit Prison. This is where the wicked will remain until they are resurrected. Christ (in spirit form) was said to have visited the spirits in prison during the three day period when His body lay in the tomb. While He was there, He preached His gospel to those who had not had the opportunity to hear it during their lifetimes. Even though two thousand years have passed since Christ’s ministry, millions of other people have lived and died without hearing the good news of His atoning sacrifice. Others have heard the news, but for one reason or another, were just not ready to accept it.

There is no scriptural basis for the common assumption among Christians that either Paradise or the Spirit Prison have since ceased to exist. There is every reason to believe that they continue to exist today as in the past. Besides, in Revelation, we are told that we will stand before God to be judged when Christ returns to Earth to begin His millennial reign. That would make no sense at all if we were already in Heaven and had been since the time of our death – unless, of course, we are to assume that God might want to change His mind after having us around awhile.

Christ will not personally be in Paradise, as He is once again with His Father in Heaven. His presence will be felt, though, by those in Paradise and the work of spreading His gospel will continue among the spirits who are waiting there for the Millennium to begin. The righteous who did not know of His gospel while on earth will have the opportunity to hear it during this period of time – which may be hundreds or thousands of years, depending upon when they died. Those who heard it but did not accept it during their life will have yet another opportunity to do so. Each of us is a product of our culture and environment. We have each had different life experiences. In the Spirit World, many of the factors that influenced our decisions in this life will no longer cloud our vision. We will be able to see things more clearly than we were able to while here on Earth, encumbered by so much baggage. God will make sure all of us have a truly equal chance to recognize and accept the truth we are taught, even if it is not until after we die.

With respect to those in the Spirit Prison, their wait will be considerably less pleasant. They will be fully aware of the misery they brought into the world. They will be wracked with guilt over their sins and will be tormented by the knowledge that they lived wicked and depraved lives. For them, the Spirit World will be hell-like. But it will not necessarily be a permanent state. The gospel of Jesus Christ will be taught to them too, spread by believers who are hopeful that they will respond to Christ’s gift of forgiveness. This is something they can still do at that time. God won’t close the door until they have been given every opportunity to repent of their sins and acknowledge that those sins can be forgiven as a result of His Son’s sacrifice. If they choose to sincerely repent, they too can be forgiven. This is not to say that they all will, but they will be given that opportunity. Eventually, “every knee will bow and every tongue confess that Jesus is the Christ.” Whether that confession will be accompanied by remorse for one's sins and gratitude for His sacrifice will be the determining factor for what happens next.

Old 12-05-2011, 07:56 PM

5,261 posts, read 7,659,107 times
Default God's Perspective..

We are talking about sins of ignorance now.

Leviticus 5:17 "Now if a person sins and does any of the things which the LORD has commanded not to be done, though he was unaware, still he is guilty and shall bear his punishment."

Luke 12:48 "But the one who does not know and does things deserving punishment will be beaten with few blows. From everyone who has been given much, much will be demanded; and from the one who has been entrusted with much, much more will be asked."

Old 12-05-2011, 08:45 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,912,106 times
Basically it doesn't matter whether they heard or not. Without faith in Jesus, they will go to hell. Outside of faith in Jesus, everyone is condemned.
Jn 3:18 Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe stands condemned already because he has not believed in the name of God’s one and only Son.

Human logic might argue that God is not fair in condemning those who have never heard. That I understand. However, if that was true, then the logical thing to do for the disciples is to tell no one. That isn't what Jesus commanded and that isn't what the disciples did because the Gospel should be preached to all so that they have the opportunity to believe.

Old 12-05-2011, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairieparson View Post
Basically it doesn't matter whether they heard or not. Without faith in Jesus, they will go to hell. Outside of faith in Jesus, everyone is condemned.
Wow. So God created billions of people and didn't even give them a chance to be saved. And despite the fact that He would condemn so many people to be nothing more than His eternal firewood for no other reason than the fact that they lived at the wrong time or in the wrong place -- God is love.

Quote:
Human logic might argue that God is not fair in condemning those who have never heard. That I understand. However, if that was true, then the logical thing to do for the disciples is to tell no one. That isn't what Jesus commanded and that isn't what the disciples did because the Gospel should be preached to all so that they have the opportunity to believe.
No, that's not what Jesus preached at all. He told His disciples to spread the gospel and that's what He expects of us, but He knows that not all will have that opportunity during their mortal lives.

I'm reminded of Luke 11:11-13, which says, "If a son shall ask bread of any of you that is a father, will he give him a stone? or if he ask a fish, will he for a fish give him a serpent? Or if he shall ask an egg, will he offer him a scorpion? If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children: how much more shall your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to them that ask him?"

Millions of the people God is supposedly going to punish forever are not even evil. They are decent people who never heard the good news. And you find this just?

Last edited by Katzpur; 12-05-2011 at 09:27 PM..

Old 12-05-2011, 09:11 PM

63,791 posts, read 40,063,093 times
Quote:
Jn 3:18 Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe stands condemned already because he has not believed in the name of God’s one and only Son.

::Sigh:: The retention of ancient ignorance abounds. The improper interpretation of pisteuō eis has spawned millennia of misguided interpretation of Christ's teaching and example to us. A simple misunderstanding using "Believe IN Him" instead of "Believe ON/Into HIM" (which is colloquially translated as simply "Believe Him"). This whole nonsense of requiring specific beliefs ABOUT Him have masked the true import of "Believe Him" and its desired impact on our behavior (the Works vs. Faith debate). If we "Believe Him" . . .we would emulate Him as much as possible in our daily lives through "love of God and each other." IF we just "Believe IN Him" . . . we would profess our faith in our beliefs ABOUT Him (as sign of our salvation) and pity the unlucky ones who never even heard of Him. It is a travesty of ancient ignorance that is almost inexcusable!

Old 12-06-2011, 09:02 AM

This is interesting... Not many people seem to have given this matter much thought. Is it a matter of, "Well, I'm saved... Too bad for the billions who never heard of Jesus Christ"?

Last edited by Katzpur; 12-06-2011 at 10:24 AM..

Old 12-06-2011, 09:09 AM

5,925 posts, read 6,945,191 times
Quote:

According to that doctrine it would also include unborn babies who die and have never heard.

Old 12-06-2011, 09:10 AM

939 posts, read 1,024,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
This is interesting... Not many people seem to have given this matter much thought. Is it a matter of, "Well, I'm saved... Too bad for the billions who never heard of Jesus Christ."
Not very loving, in my opinion. If we truly believe those that don't trust in Christ go to Hell....you'd think we'd want to do our best to prevent as many as we can from going.

Old 12-06-2011, 09:19 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,193,454 times
The Bible tells us that those who do not hear the Gospel will be judged by their own conscience. I thank God for my Lord Jesus's sacrifice and divine grace for my salvation. My conscience would toss me straight into the Lake of Fire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity