Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 02:20 PM

16,292 posts, read 28,654,090 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Blue View Post
Being a Christian has no bearing on seeing that an underprivileged family has medical care for their child.
True, but republicans seem to boast they are the most christian/conservative and fundamentalism, and their behavior reflects that, in opposition to equal rights for gays, homosexuality, and frequently play the religion card in their politicking, tax cuts only for the rich and elite, education funding, etc.

Gives the impression, based on evidence, that the more fervent the christian following, the more opposed to programs and policies that serve the greater good, i.e. everyone.

And they are the party that is vehemently opposed to equal health care for all citizens of this country, the only industrialized country that doesn't provide the opportunity for everyone to receive health care. Efforts to do so are met with stone wall stubbornness, how very humanitarian of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2010, 10:59 PM

697 posts, read 1,076,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Blue View Post
I would steer the parents to the State/Federal agencies that provide medical cards to the children..I know that in my own State all children at the poverty level or with longterm illnessess and disabilities are eligible for medicaid.
The sad thing is that many working families are gainfully employed and are not living at the poverty line, but still do not have employer provided health insurance and cannot afford to buy it on their own. It is very unlikely they would qualify for Medicaid.

There was a period of time in my own life that I was working full time and my employer participated in a health plan, but they did not contribute to the cost and I could not pay for both the plan and groceries, so I went without. The health plan that is, not the groceries. Fortunately, I remained healthy during those years and now I can have my health plan and eat my groceries too. I am lucky. Many are not so.

Old 11-30-2010, 11:56 PM

5,965 posts, read 7,056,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by henrjam View Post
Let say, he has a preexisting condition and no insurance coverage.
Are you willing to accept that situation as being a fact of life, or is it radically against your very notion of what a Christian society should be.
Clearly it is radically AGAINST the very notion of what a Christian society should be. Jesus went about doing good and healing all who were sick. How our society could be the way it is now concerning wealth, health-care, etc.. well, it has just become an abomination - all this greed and love of money. Not just in America either. Think of how many people have died of preventable diseases around the globe but for the fact that the rich nations preferred to spend money on bombs and war rather than on doing good to all who are oppressed. This beast system will be destroyed.

Old 12-01-2010, 12:06 AM

5,965 posts, read 7,056,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmalltownKSgirl View Post
You only get Medicaid if you meet certain income restrictions. It is entirely possible to be gainfully employed and still have no health insurance. In such cases, Medicaid is not likely to be an option.

Try again.
I know plenty of people who work and have no health care plan. And I also know a fair number of unemployed folks who also have no health care plan. The middle class has been all but completely overturned in this crazed nation of ours and the poor have been left behind to die. People in America do die for lack of medical insurance, no question about it. I see homeless people all over the place as well. You know they don't have any access to medical care. There is no free health care for the least among us in America - that is a thing of the past. I wonder why many people who do have are in such denial about those who do not have?

Old 12-01-2010, 03:07 AM

23,188 posts, read 26,366,848 times
The US is predominately Christian

'We get the government we deserve" is an old saying with much truth to it.
After reading this thread, reflecting how many Christians refuse to accept the personal responsibility of caring for their 'brothers', as demanded by your Christ, and want to pass it off to others (the collective government), it's easy to believe 'we get the government we deserve' that (as so many are complaining) does not take care of those in need.

Government is only reflecting the concerns of their constituants ( all these 'good' Christians).

Old 12-01-2010, 05:52 AM

8,831 posts, read 11,676,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post
I wonder why many people who do have are in such denial about those who do not have?
This struck a cord because it goes way beyond denial. It's selfishness, it's not giving a damn. Those who DO NOT have way outnumber those who DO have and until the have's start reaching out to the have not's nothing will improve in this country. Middle and lower income or no income people are just screwed. I'm not saying that there aren't people who do help, it's just too small of a number to put a dent in what really needs to be done.

More food pantries
More shelters
More free health clinics
More free dental clinics
free clothing/shoes

To name a few. There should not be people digging through dumpsters to meet their needs. Or a child should not go without the proper health care.

Old 12-01-2010, 05:55 AM

3,553 posts, read 5,175,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene Wright View Post
This struck a cord because it goes way beyond denial. It's selfishness, it's not giving a damn. Those who DO NOT have way outnumber those who DO have and until the have's start reaching out to the have not's nothing will improve in this country. Middle and lower income or no income people are just screwed. I'm not saying that there aren't people who do help, it's just too small of a number to put a dent in what really needs to be done.

More food pantries
More shelters
More free health clinics
More free dental clinics
free clothing/shoes

To name a few. There should not be people digging through dumpsters to meet their needs. Or a child should not go without the proper health care.
Then become a doctor and work pro-bono, and or give all your money away to feed and house them.

Stealing from one group of people to take care of another is THEFT, even if the intention is noble.

Old 12-01-2010, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by henrjam View Post
Let say, he has a preexisting condition and no insurance coverage.
Are you willing to accept that situation as being a fact of life, or is it radically against your very notion of what a Christian society should be.
If is was TRULY a Christian society, then this discussion would not be happening.

You cannot legislate morals.

They come from the heart.

Old 12-01-2010, 07:24 AM

8,831 posts, read 11,676,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotinAZ View Post
Then become a doctor and work pro-bono, and or give all your money away to feed and house them.

Stealing from one group of people to take care of another is THEFT, even if the intention is noble.
Well HotinAZ that's all well and good and I could say the same thing to you about becoming and doctor and giving away all your money....it works both ways.

Unfortunately I am in the category of lower income and about one serious illness away from becoming homeless. I AM NOT one of the "have's".....I am a "have-not" and no one said anything about stealing from the rich to give to the poor. The rich should spend all of their time, money and effort to help the poor without being forced to. That's what I would do if I were rich. But hey, that's just me. Having multi-million dollar houses and cars is more important, right?

Old 12-01-2010, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene Wright View Post
Well HotinAZ that's all well and good and I could say the same thing to you about becoming and doctor and giving away all your money....it works both ways.
Actually, I am not the one who said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene Wright

More food pantries
More shelters
More free health clinics
More free dental clinics
free clothing/shoes

You said it's selfishness and not giving a damn. Your words, not mine. You said those who do not have WAY outnumber those who do have, right? So, what are you wanting anyone to do about it? TAKE it from those who have? Force them into charity? I guess I don't understand your mindset.

And the comment about the middle, lower, and no income people being screwed? Really? This is what you honestly believe? I see it as WE have the numbers, not them. It isn't who controls the money who has the power, but rather it is they who have the power of the ballot. THAT is how this country was set up.

Quote:
Unfortunately I am in the category of lower income and about one serious illness away from becoming homeless.
Then it is easy for you to judge now, isn't it? You can look at the rich condescending in nature, BECAUSE you are not rich.

Quote:
I AM NOT one of the "have's".....I am a "have-not" and no one said anything about stealing from the rich to give to the poor.
Really? so the whole world of the rich will suddenly wake up one day and hand all their stuff over, without a gun to their head?? Not happening without some sort of a revolt.

Quote:
The rich should spend all of their time, money and effort to help the poor without being forced to.
Why should there be 'rich' at all?

Quote:
That's what I would do if I were rich.
Easy to say when you are not. I have personally seen some fine religious people fall away when the money came in. After all, it is the root of all evil.

Quote:
But hey, that's just me. Having multi-million dollar houses and cars is more important, right?
It's their money,, to spend how they wish.

Like I said, it is easy to judge when you are on the bottom.
But, at the same time, it is easy to judge when you are on the top.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity