Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 01:43 PM

3,734 posts, read 4,545,485 times

Advertisements

Back in the 1990s their members used to roam the city inviting people to attend their services. At the time, I had heard that they were a cult.

Does anyone know about them & their beliefs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2010, 01:55 PM

5,965 posts, read 7,015,222 times
Most organized churches have cult-like tendencies. I've never heard of this church, so I have no idea.

Old 08-02-2010, 02:24 PM

1,952 posts, read 4,788,431 times
The church of Christ that is around the southeastern US, is definitely a cult.

They believe they are the only ones who are saved. Part of the process is being baptized THERE, in a church of Christ building, and having your name on their membership role.

If this is not done, they say you are not saved.

They teach that they are THE ONLY ONES going to heaven. They claim they "aren't a denomination," but that is exactly what they are; they are not only a denomination, they are a cult. If you belong there, you are forbidden from even visiting another church, say, a Baptist church....they claim you will lose your "salvation."

Old 08-02-2010, 02:33 PM

76,975 posts, read 47,604,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie1249 View Post
Back in the 1990s their members used to roam the city inviting people to attend their services. At the time, I had heard that they were a cult.

Study what they teach and then answer thses questions:

1. Do they teach something which will keep people unsaved?

2. Do they deny any fundamentals of what the Bible teaches?

For exmple, if they pretend to be Christians, yet teach that Jesus is not God, or that there are other ways to be saved than by faith in Christ, or that you can be saved by your works, then they are cults. Moderator cut: deleted: denominational insenstive to other members

Last edited by june 7th; 08-02-2010 at 10:44 PM..

Old 08-02-2010, 02:39 PM

5,965 posts, read 7,015,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundance View Post

They teach that they are THE ONLY ONES going to heaven.
As do many, many churches whether or not they consider themselves denominations. It is human nature to despise others and love yourself.
And very "not-like-Christ", I might add.

Old 08-02-2010, 10:30 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,940,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie1249 View Post

Any church you choose to call a cult is a cult to you. Basically, a cult is the church down the street from yours that you don't like. It's generally a newer, smaller church than yours. It's definitely a cult if it arouses fear in you.

Old 08-02-2010, 10:32 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,940,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundance View Post
The church of Christ that is around the southeastern US, is definitely a cult.

They believe they are the only ones who are saved. Part of the process is being baptized THERE, in a church of Christ building, and having your name on their membership role.

If this is not done, they say you are not saved.

They teach that they are THE ONLY ONES going to heaven. They claim they "aren't a denomination," but that is exactly what they are; they are not only a denomination, they are a cult. If you belong there, you are forbidden from even visiting another church, say, a Baptist church....they claim you will lose your "salvation."
And how, specifically, does that qualify them as a cult? Are you saying that any church that forbids you from visiting another church is a cult? Or is it that they believe they are the only ones going to heaven? I'm just curious, because I've been trying to figure out what makes a church a cult, and no two people seem to give me the same criteria.

Old 08-03-2010, 05:24 AM

9,689 posts, read 10,009,914 times
the definition of cult is followers of a exculsive system of belief and practices....... the tirm exculsive will reject NYC church of Christ because they were out trying to get people to go to their church, where a exclusive followers would not do that for they are isolated...... looking up in the web for NYC Church of Christ there are about a hand full and all look like they know Jesus and are born again believers who pray and love the Lord Jesus...... So the people who called them a cult back in the 1990s were just cursing them and Jesus through discrimination.......

Old 08-03-2010, 06:14 AM

1,952 posts, read 4,788,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
And how, specifically, does that qualify them as a cult? Are you saying that any church that forbids you from visiting another church is a cult? Or is it that they believe they are the only ones going to heaven? I'm just curious, because I've been trying to figure out what makes a church a cult, and no two people seem to give me the same criteria.
You don't know what makes a church, a cult?

Of course no two people will give you the same answer - but why are you going around asking people?

Why not study for yourself?

Old 08-03-2010, 06:36 AM

1,346 posts, read 3,074,947 times
I found this checklist that may be helpful...

The group displays excessively zealous and unquestioning commitment to its leader and (whether he is alive or dead) regards his belief system, ideology, and practices as the Truth, as law.

Questioning, doubt, and dissent are discouraged or even punished.

Mind-altering practices (such as meditation, chanting, speaking in tongues, denunciation sessions, and debilitating work routines) are used in excess and serve to suppress doubts about the group and its leader(s).

The leadership dictates, sometimes in great detail, how members should think, act, and feel (for example, members must get permission to date, change jobs, marry—or leaders prescribe what types of clothes to wear, where to live, whether or not to have children, how to discipline children, and so forth).

The group is elitist, claiming a special, exalted status for itself, its leader(s) and members (for example, the leader is considered the Messiah, a special being, an avatar—or the group and/or the leader is on a special mission to save humanity).

The group has a polarized us-versus-them mentality, which may cause conflict with the wider society.

The leader is not accountable to any authorities (unlike, for example, teachers, military commanders or ministers, priests, monks, and rabbis of mainstream religious denominations).

The group teaches or implies that its supposedly exalted ends justify whatever means it deems necessary. This may result in members' participating in behaviors or activities they would have considered reprehensible or unethical before joining the group (for example, lying to family or friends, or collecting money for bogus charities).

The leadership induces feelings of shame and/or guilt iin order to influence and/or control members. Often, this is done through peer pressure and subtle forms of persuasion.

Subservience to the leader or group requires members to cut ties with family and friends, and radically alter the personal goals and activities they had before joining the group.

The group is preoccupied with bringing in new members.

The group is preoccupied with making money.

Members are expected to devote inordinate amounts of time to the group and group-related activities.

Members are encouraged or required to live and/or socialize only with other group members.

The most loyal members (the “true believers”) feel there can be no life outside the context of the group. They believe there is no other way to be, and often fear reprisals to themselves or others if they leave (or even consider leaving) the group.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity