Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2014, 04:59 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,536,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by claud605 View Post
I found this checklist that may be helpful...

The group displays excessively zealous and unquestioning commitment to its leader and (whether he is alive or dead) regards his belief system, ideology, and practices as the Truth, as law.

Questioning, doubt, and dissent are discouraged or even punished.

Mind-altering practices (such as meditation, chanting, speaking in tongues, denunciation sessions, and debilitating work routines) are used in excess and serve to suppress doubts about the group and its leader(s).

The leadership dictates, sometimes in great detail, how members should think, act, and feel (for example, members must get permission to date, change jobs, marry—or leaders prescribe what types of clothes to wear, where to live, whether or not to have children, how to discipline children, and so forth).

The group is elitist, claiming a special, exalted status for itself, its leader(s) and members (for example, the leader is considered the Messiah, a special being, an avatar—or the group and/or the leader is on a special mission to save humanity).

The group has a polarized us-versus-them mentality, which may cause conflict with the wider society.

The leader is not accountable to any authorities (unlike, for example, teachers, military commanders or ministers, priests, monks, and rabbis of mainstream religious denominations).

The group teaches or implies that its supposedly exalted ends justify whatever means it deems necessary. This may result in members' participating in behaviors or activities they would have considered reprehensible or unethical before joining the group (for example, lying to family or friends, or collecting money for bogus charities).

The leadership induces feelings of shame and/or guilt iin order to influence and/or control members. Often, this is done through peer pressure and subtle forms of persuasion.

Subservience to the leader or group requires members to cut ties with family and friends, and radically alter the personal goals and activities they had before joining the group.

The group is preoccupied with bringing in new members.

The group is preoccupied with making money.

Members are expected to devote inordinate amounts of time to the group and group-related activities.

Members are encouraged or required to live and/or socialize only with other group members.

The most loyal members (the “true believers”) feel there can be no life outside the context of the group. They believe there is no other way to be, and often fear reprisals to themselves or others if they leave (or even consider leaving) the group.
That just about covers every church.

Oops aside from money and maybe one or two others, it covers the 1st century church as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2014, 03:49 PM

6,372 posts, read 7,867,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundance View Post
The church of Christ that is around the southeastern US, is definitely a cult.

They believe they are the only ones who are saved. Part of the process is being baptized THERE, in a church of Christ building, and having your name on their membership role.

If this is not done, they say you are not saved.

They teach that they are THE ONLY ONES going to heaven. They claim they "aren't a denomination," but that is exactly what they are; they are not only a denomination, they are a cult. If you belong there, you are forbidden from even visiting another church, say, a Baptist church....they claim you will lose your "salvation."
This post is total B.S. The only thing said that has any validity is "They claim they 'aren't a denomination'". Everything else is absolutely false and a lie. If you don't like the church, that's okay. You have a free will to believe what you wish. If you had a bad experience, that is unfortunate. It doesn't give you the right to lie and spread falsehoods.

p.s. I know nothing about the New York church of Christ. Each church of Christ is independent and guided by a board of elders elected by the local churches members. There are no national or international organization that dictates what a local church does or teaches. This is one reason why churches of Christ vary from church to church, however, there are some elements that are common between them.

Last edited by volosong; 07-01-2014 at 04:01 PM..

Old 07-01-2014, 03:56 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,311,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Any church you choose to call a cult is a cult to you. Basically, a cult is the church down the street from yours that you don't like. It's generally a newer, smaller church than yours. It's definitely a cult if it arouses fear in you.
As is usually the case, we must first define "church". Many people call their pseudo-Christian religion that teaches things that have traditionally been considered heretical a "church". Of course, they are no more a part of the Christian church as any other religion.

In this case, I'm not immediately familiar with the NYC Church of Christ. There is an ultra-conservative "Church of Christ" that denies many of the fundamental doctrines of Christianity and does employ some rather cult-like behavior in regards to manipulating members. There is also a "Church of Christ" that is not affiliated with them, and while I don't agree with them on many issues of theology, I would not consider them to be a cult. I have no idea which one the NYC Church of Christ is a part of -- if either.

Old 07-01-2014, 07:43 PM

1,311 posts, read 1,541,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
As is usually the case, we must first define "church". Many people call their pseudo-Christian religion that teaches things that have traditionally been considered heretical a "church". Of course, they are no more a part of the Christian church as any other religion.
True. I watched this NatGeo show called I Escaped A Cult last week (see below). To some this may be business as usual, but I literally cried my eyes out thinking this passes as Christianity and the pain these folks endured.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XB8sjQfAeg

Old 07-02-2014, 06:18 AM

6,366 posts, read 2,955,225 times
Good day folks, It seems to me that when Jesus looks down and sees 33,000 different denominations( 1Cor 1:10)-- these are the real cults--Gods word clearly teaches that all will be one under God and his son. That means now as well as within the kingdom.
I would say the #1 requirement of being a real cult--- is disunity.

Old 07-03-2014, 06:22 PM

6,822 posts, read 6,674,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjw47 View Post
Good day folks, It seems to me that when Jesus looks down and sees 33,000 different denominations( 1Cor 1:10)-- these are the real cults--Gods word clearly teaches that all will be one under God and his son. That means now as well as within the kingdom.
I would say the #1 requirement of being a real cult--- is disunity.

Unite under what? The Watchtower Organization? The people that have prophesied multiple times when the end was to come and have been proven wrong every time? The organization that says Jesus Christ is in the secret chambers?

Matthew 24

23 Then if any man shall say unto you, Lo, here is Christ, or there; believe it not.
24 For there shall arise false Christs, and false prophets, and shall shew great signs and wonders; insomuch that, if it were possible, they shall deceive the very elect.
25 Behold, I have told you before.
26 Wherefore if they shall say unto you, Behold, he is in the desert; go not forth: behold, he is in the secret chambers; believe it not.
27 For as the lightning cometh out of the east, and shineth even unto the west; so shall also the coming of the Son of man be.

Old 07-26-2015, 07:47 PM

1 posts, read 998 times
It's interesting reading the posts. I a member of the NYC Church of Christ and believe the cult accusations were an unfortunate misunderstanding. But I'm glad you asked. :-) This is what I live by: If the Bible says it, God calls me to do it. Jesus is my Lord and therefore, leader. I have friends of all backgrounds and Yes, I teach people the Bible if they want to learn because in Matthew 28, Jesus asks me to teach others and sometimes that means people are offended because what the Bible says isn't always easy to accept. Even Jesus was persecuted. That being said, God calls me to love all people, so hating anyone would not be pleasing to Him. I disagree with certain teachings people have if the Bible says different, especially if it's a scripture taken out of context. Nevertheless, that doesn't give me a right to disrespect the person. Moreover, I have friends who aren't Christians. I hope they'll choose to have a relationship with God through Jesus one day, but I'm not going to shun them for choosing otherwise. Also, there are choices I make to ensure I don't hinder my relationship with God. Though my goal is never to offend anyone, I have to think of what God would want me to do first. I hope this helps!

Old 07-28-2015, 01:29 PM

6,366 posts, read 2,955,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelee81 View Post
Unite under what? The Watchtower Organization? The people that have prophesied multiple times when the end was to come and have been proven wrong every time? The organization that says Jesus Christ is in the secret chambers?

Matthew 24

23 Then if any man shall say unto you, Lo, here is Christ, or there; believe it not.
24 For there shall arise false Christs, and false prophets, and shall shew great signs and wonders; insomuch that, if it were possible, they shall deceive the very elect.
25 Behold, I have told you before.
26 Wherefore if they shall say unto you, Behold, he is in the desert; go not forth: behold, he is in the secret chambers; believe it not.
27 For as the lightning cometh out of the east, and shineth even unto the west; so shall also the coming of the Son of man be.
Then why is it that the JW teachers are the only teachers who teach what Jesus taught? One has to know what Jesus taught to know this though, that is why those teachings are not taught in any church on this earth. Like this ultra important one.

Matt 6:33-- Therefore, keep on seeking-FIRST- the kingdom and his( Jehovah) righteousness and all these other things will be added.( sustenance, covering, spirituality)

how can one do these two things first in their daily lives if they do not know this teaching?

Old 07-28-2015, 06:37 PM

21,087 posts, read 29,388,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pivot Point View Post
Back in the 1990s their members used to roam the city inviting people to attend their services. At the time, I had heard that they were a cult.

Does anyone know about them & their beliefs?
All organized religion is a cult.

Old 08-01-2015, 02:59 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,574,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pivot Point View Post
Back in the 1990s their members used to roam the city inviting people to attend their services. At the time, I had heard that they were a cult.

Does anyone know about them & their beliefs?
Just did a quick google search. They are related to International Church of Christ, which was originally Boston Church of Christ. Of course they will deny it, but some cultish behavior in the ICOC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity