Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2008, 07:05 PM

3,532 posts, read 6,423,489 times

Advertisements

After reading a post by a Church of Christ member, I had to respond to it in another thread with a question.

I have discovered that the name “Church of Christ” is never used in the Bible to describe a single congregation. Paul did refer to all congregations as the “churches of Christ” in Romans 16:16, but he nor any other inspired writer ever used the singular expression.

Of course, I know some of you are going to disagree with me on this topic and even may argue that all profession christians are technically the church of Christ. But I am not asking that question. What I am asking is--is it biblical for a church to call itself THE CHURCH OF CHRIST?

If there were churches of Christ in the plural, then a single congregation would have been the church of Christ. However, since the Bible is silent on referring to a single congregation as “the church of Christ,” why would that silence not eliminate that designation from being used as the primary designation today?

Isn't the Church of Christ signs we see on their churches teaching their Church of Christ doctrine rather than specific Bible teaching?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2008, 08:01 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,506,148 times
Many of the coc have this notation beneath the name on the building or the sign.."Est. 33AD.".Many years ago it was explained to me (by my H after we got home) that different congregations often do this for a couple reasons..
Number one being that the members will not attend another congregation that does not call itself The church of Christ, so it is a courtesy to strangers or visitors passing through who may be looking for their brethern to worship with..especially if it is Sunday so they may take communion as is one of the rules, that you have to take it every Sunday or as soon as you can if you miss it that week..
It was also explained to me, that it was a statement that this particular congregation is the very same one that was established on that day (Pentacost) and they follow the rules, customs and traditions that Paul set up..
I was part of that "church" for 40 something years..They call me an apostate now..

Old 12-17-2008, 08:12 PM

3,340 posts, read 9,687,432 times
And then of course there's the *Takes long Breath* Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.

Old 12-17-2008, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
Many of the coc have this notation beneath the name on the building or the sign.."Est. 33AD.".Many years ago it was explained to me (by my H after we got home) that different congregations often do this for a couple reasons..
Number one being that the members will not attend another congregation that does not call itself The church of Christ, so it is a courtesy to strangers or visitors passing through who may be looking for their brethern to worship with..especially if it is Sunday so they may take communion as is one of the rules, that you have to take it every Sunday or as soon as you can if you miss it that week..
It was also explained to me, that it was a statement that this particular congregation is the very same one that was established on that day (Pentacost) and they follow the rules, customs and traditions that Paul set up..
I was part of that "church" for 40 something years..They call me an apostate now..

Thanks Blue for clearing that up for me.

Old 12-18-2008, 12:56 AM

25,157 posts, read 53,940,301 times
There is the The United Church of Christ.

Old 12-18-2008, 01:06 PM

3,978 posts, read 8,548,547 times
Where do you find a building with just, "The Church Of Christ " on it? All the ones that I know of have a location name preceding the words: " church ( or Church) of Christ". Many of them have "The ___church of Christ meets here" . As Blue said, it is to let visitors from other locations know where their brethren meet, it is also a law of our country that each religious group has a name.If the government was taken out of the picture, we would still have the name for the aforementioned reason. Why do all the other religious groups have a name on their buildings? Are their names "Biblical" ?

Old 12-18-2008, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianinark View Post
Where do you find a building with just, "The Church Of Christ " on it? All the ones that I know of have a location name preceding the words: " church ( or Church) of Christ". Many of them have "The ___church of Christ meets here" . As Blue said, it is to let visitors from other locations know where their brethren meet, it is also a law of our country that each religious group has a name.If the government was taken out of the picture, we would still have the name for the aforementioned reason. Why do all the other religious groups have a name on their buildings? Are their names "Biblical" ?
No they are not. But I have noticed that some religions tend to stress their religion's name over other religions as if those religions that don't emphasize Jehovah's name for one or call themselves the Church of Christ is not truely worshipping God. That is one of the main reasons I started this thread. I am not one to argue or debate who's right or wrong in regard to DOCTRINE. I let God's word do that for me when I quote Scripture to support any teaching or doctrine that I support from the bible.

Here's the real issue, and what I care about is whether or not professing christians understand that Jesus is the ONLY way to God. One of your other posts/threads that you started seems to suggest that Christians are being misled or have been misguided for believing on the Holy Spirt's power to led, guide, and control us, even though you are correct in that Jesus was talking to his disciples in regard to the Holy Spirit being sent to them as a Comforter.

I did some research on the word comforter and this is what one scholar said regarding the translation of the Greek word for comforter. The word comforter or “Helper” or “Counselor”; Grk “Paraclete,” from the Greek word παράκλητος (paraklhto"). Finding an appropriate English translation for παράκλητος is a very difficult task. No single English word has exactly the same range of meaning as the Greek word. “Comforter,” used by some of the older English versions, appears to be as old as Wycliffe. But today it suggests a quilt or a sympathetic mourner at a funeral. “Counselor” is adequate, but too broad, in contexts like “marriage counselor” or “camp counselor.” “Helper” or “Assistant” could also be used, but could suggest a subordinate rank.

“Advocate,” the word chosen in some translations, has more forensic overtones than the Greek word does, although in John 16:5-11 a forensic context is certainly present. Because an “advocate” is someone who “advocates” or supports a position or viewpoint and since this is what the Paraclete will do for the preaching of the disciples, it was selected in spite of the drawbacks.

So all christians today have an Advocate who is right there molding us in the image of God as long as we allow Him to lead, guide, and control our lowly minds and progressively make us more like God.

Old 12-18-2008, 05:41 PM

Just for the record...when I say I am a member of the church of Christ I am not talking about a building with that name on it!!!!
I suppose you would prefer that I say, " I am a member of the churches of Christ??
I believe that there is only one church, one body of Christ. That is what the Eph. 4 chapter says.
Each congregation of the church meet in differant places. There is no way the church can all meet in the same place!!!

I am not sure what you are trying to prove by your Spirit comments????

Old 12-18-2008, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianinark View Post
Just for the record...when I say I am a member of the church of Christ I am not talking about a building with that name on it!!!!
I suppose you would prefer that I say, " I am a member of the churches of Christ??
I believe that there is only one church, one body of Christ. That is what the Eph. 4 chapter says.
Each congregation of the church meet in differant places. There is no way the church can all meet in the same place!!!

I am not sure what you are trying to prove by your Spirit comments????
Not trying to prove anything, and I do prayerfully apologize if you became offended. But you started a thread A MOST DANGEROUS DOCTRINE in regard to your religion's teaching or interpretation of who the Comforter is or was directly for, as if to SUGGEST that any other church's interpretation of the Comforter being in the world for all believers is false. So please explain to me what is your position on that so that all of us that are deceived can be enlightened or enriched by your church's view on this topic.

Old 12-18-2008, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antredd View Post
Not trying to prove anything, and I do prayerfully apologize if you became offended. But you started a thread A MOST DANGEROUS DOCTRINE in regard to your religion's teaching or interpretation of who the Comforter is or was directly for, as if to SUGGEST that any other church's interpretation of the Comforter being in the world for all believers is false. So please explain to me what is your position on that so that all of us that are deceived can be enlightened or enriched by your church's view on this topic.

Excuse me !!! the post I started that you are referring to has nothing at all to do with my "religon's teaching or interpretation" .

Last edited by Towhee; 12-18-2008 at 08:23 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity