Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2010, 07:47 AM

33 posts, read 95,524 times

Advertisements

I am going abroad next week and am looking for the best rate to exchange Dollars to Euros. None of the currency exchanges I've seen do dollars to euros they just go the other way. What is the rate at O'hare?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2010, 08:50 AM

5,976 posts, read 13,112,439 times
It may be out of your way, I don't know where you live, but you might want to check out

Forex, Continental Foreign exchange in Vernon Hills on the corner of 21 and 45 is a good place. They Just google them. They used to be in Hawthorn Malls. Just come with cash, and they will give you Euros.

They're open from 10:00 until 6:00? Just check up on them.

Old 03-29-2010, 09:01 AM

720 posts, read 3,006,390 times
Default currency exchange

There's one in woodfield mall, theres also two in the city one inside a us bank on michigan ave i wanna say like 360 or 380 north. the other is right by the board of trade across from national city or northern trust or one of those big bank buildings.

im sure you know nobody is gonna give you the spot rate, i think now the going rate at a retail exchange is gonna be about 1.52.

Old 03-29-2010, 08:00 PM

72 posts, read 261,383 times
i think you get a better deal if you just get your money in Europe out of any ATM with your (american) bank card.

Old 03-30-2010, 07:50 AM

2,884 posts, read 4,986,021 times
Just check with your bank first to see if they charge special transaction fees. I was quite surprised the last time I went to Europe and used my ATM. The fees were rather high.

Old 03-30-2010, 10:31 AM

720 posts, read 3,006,390 times
Default xchange

Basically there's no way around paying fees. I know we like to think I'm just changing currencies, I should get the exact same amount I'm paying in the other currency. Just like any other business people want to make money, they have to pay to staff a place, pay the rent, ship the money, etc.

ATM's do tend to be the best, however only if you take a big chunk of money out at once for your whole trip. If your hitting the atm up every other day your going to pay a fortune in fees plus I had my credit and debit card numbers stolen just using atms not using my cards at stores or vendors.

For buying money your bank you bank with will tend to give you the best rates. If you have a savings account, checking, mortgage etc with them they are not going to nickle and dime you over buying a few hundred euros. That said most bnaks dont do currency anymore, the few that do make you order far in advance and usually cant get you anything besides euros or pounds.

I only like traveling to the caribbean europe doesnt do much for me. I always do the prepaid cards offered by various companies. noone wants travelers checks anymore and im scared to use my credit/debit cards. You pay a fee obviously for the convenience and safety but most of them gurantee your money incasrthe cards are cloned, stolen, lost, etc. Also, no risk of card numbers getting stolen and spending hours on hold getting fraudulant charges removed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: