Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 10:10 AM

5,288 posts, read 8,878,994 times

Advertisements

Crikey.

Chicago's next hot 'hood? - RedEye

I find it pretty funny how Wicker Park leapfrogs Logan Square to get to Avondale, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2010, 10:30 AM

15,586 posts, read 27,609,770 times
Been there done that.

Old 01-20-2010, 11:06 AM

367 posts, read 1,205,677 times
Sun-Times says Near South Side. Which they apparently define as South Loop on down through Oakland, especially near the lake.

Prediction: Near South Side set to boom : SearchChicago Homes : Don DeBat

Old 01-20-2010, 11:07 AM

71 posts, read 189,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
Crikey.

Chicago's next hot 'hood? - RedEye

I find it pretty funny how Wicker Park leapfrogs Logan Square to get to Avondale, though.

I think Wicker Park has had a huge impact on Logan Square. Wicker Park was a gentrification power-house - it spread both north and south and now it has reached Avondale.

The yuppies hopped on the south end along Division before the hipsters even had a chance. And I think Logan Square took the title from Wicker Park and it is now the Hipster Capital of Chicago.

Old 01-20-2010, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killaviews View Post
I think Wicker Park has had a huge impact on Logan Square. Wicker Park was a gentrification power-house - it spread both north and south and now it has reached Avondale.

The yuppies hopped on the south end along Division before the hipsters even had a chance. And I think Logan Square took the title from Wicker Park and it is now the Hipster Capital of Chicago.
Absolutely on Logan Square - but I actually think the parts of Avondale that are "hot" (which seem to be primarily restaurants in the SE quadrant) are more an extension of Lake View.

Tattoo parlors, Kuma's, etc. are absolutely Belmont & Clark culture marching west.

I guess I'm hoping for more of the Belmont & Clark (where I roughly grew up) vibe and less of that hipster one. Perhaps a slightly fine distinction for newcomers to the City, but the townies know what I'm talking about.

Old 01-20-2010, 11:29 AM

1,966 posts, read 6,076,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meatpuff View Post
Sun-Times says Near South Side. Which they apparently define as South Loop on down through Oakland, especially near the lake.

Prediction: Near South Side set to boom : SearchChicago Homes : Don DeBat
Usually I think this predictions are exaggerated or have little substance, but in this case I agree. I think most people don't have any clue how much it has already changed to pave the way. The lakefront so close to the city is just too desirable to remain a ghetto. I'm shocked that it ever got that way.

Old 01-20-2010, 11:34 AM

93 posts, read 443,967 times
I live in Avondale and I think there is potential. I think it's a great place for older singles and younger families who appreciate more racial diversity than Wicker Park (my previous hood), as long as they have alternatives to public schools. On the south side bordering Logan Square, we have n~ (enye), orbit room and urban belly, and I'm hoping for a few more good restaurants and a sports bar (not Jerseys). I know it's across the street on the Logan Square side of Diversey, but if the Green Exchange is ever completed, that would drive some good PR for the hood.

Old 01-20-2010, 12:13 PM

It's got more than potential, it's just IMO a question of what will drive the development - realtor hype or people willing to get in the trenches and and stay for the long haul. We are seeing a lot of longtime residents passing away due to old age/sickness, and the kids don't want to relocate into buildings that often are lacking HVAC, have that (to quote Homer Simpson) "old person smell" etc. We could use a lot more fixer-uppers, you know?

Old 01-20-2010, 12:59 PM

3,396 posts, read 7,210,678 times
Avondale is definitely an area that is taking off. The restaurants and bars are definitely one thing that is driving it, as well as increased ridership on the Blue Line. During rush hour the trains are packed from Western or Damen all the way to the loop. You have to wait for 2 or 3 trains to get on one.

Rents are really cheap too, I have a few friends who've moved out of Logan Square and Ukrainian Village because they found much cheaper places in Avondale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
It's got more than potential, it's just IMO a question of what will drive the development - realtor hype or people willing to get in the trenches and and stay for the long haul. We are seeing a lot of longtime residents passing away due to old age/sickness, and the kids don't want to relocate into buildings that often are lacking HVAC, have that (to quote Homer Simpson) "old person smell" etc. We could use a lot more fixer-uppers, you know?
Thanks to the downturn in the RE market the fixer uppers are coming. There are three happening very close to my house now, and no condo construction at all. For the last 10 years it has been nearly impossible to buy a fixer upper. It took my wife and I 3 years to find one. We were regularly outbid by developers who were looking to teardown what we wanted to rehab. It's very different now.

Old 01-20-2010, 01:36 PM

LOL, thinking I'd get a seat on the Blue line definitely was a plus in terms of moving closer to Belmont than Logan.

If only the soon-to-be-too-hip-for-the-likes-of-me Revolution Brewing was a wee bit closer....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago