Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 10:33 AM

2,686 posts, read 7,871,502 times

Advertisements

We are getting hipsters on their bikes in Humboldt Park too, even the western parts over by Pulaski.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2010, 10:55 AM

5,288 posts, read 8,879,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holdencaulfield View Post
The hipsters have been getting priced out of Bucktown and Logan Square and are heading towards Avondale. Will this spur an anti gentrification movement in Avonale as well? The Hispanics being priced out of West Town are headed west towards West Humboldt Park, Hermosa, and Belmont Cragin.
The anti-gentrification movement is long-established, it's what removed Vilma Colom from office in 2003.

But when I say that, I'm referring to the economic aspect - Avondale is not going to see frame bungalows torn down for McCondos any time soon, many of my neighbors are Chicago-born folks who resettled in Avondale from other Chi neighborhoods, purchased their homes and intend to stay put.

Avondale is fortunate IMO that we got new residents who got involved in the community early on, and made efforts to do so *with* existing residents, as opposed to the yoyos who move in an area and treat the existing residents like day-old bread that needs to be dumped off somewhere else.

Old 04-29-2010, 10:13 AM

Intriguing story from this week's Reader:

Saved by Vegans | Food & Drink Column | Chicago Reader

Old 04-29-2010, 01:06 PM

1,912 posts, read 5,445,564 times
^^I've only been once but I loved it. The prices were great and the food was delectable for a buffet style.

Old 04-29-2010, 03:48 PM

5,014 posts, read 9,460,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
The anti-gentrification movement is long-established, it's what removed Vilma Colom from office in 2003.

But when I say that, I'm referring to the economic aspect - Avondale is not going to see frame bungalows torn down for McCondos any time soon, many of my neighbors are Chicago-born folks who resettled in Avondale from other Chi neighborhoods, purchased their homes and intend to stay put.

Avondale is fortunate IMO that we got new residents who got involved in the community early on, and made efforts to do so *with* existing residents, as opposed to the yoyos who move in an area and treat the existing residents like day-old bread that needs to be dumped off somewhere else.
People forget that gentrification is to a very large extent a two sided coin. Hipsters may be shocked by this but I can assure you that many existing residents these "hot hoods" aren't as enamored by their presence as the Red Eye is. They will have no problem whatsoever cashing out once the property values go up and provide an incentive to do so.

Anti-gentrification forces tend to be dominated by radicals, who are very often white. Thus, they tend to filter things through their lens of life. For the average Joe (or Jose) property owner living in these neighborhoods, scraggly PBR drinking hipsters living off parents, part-time retail jobs and unpaid music gigs aren't a threat to price them out. However, like anyone else, they want to live in an area that's comfortable and familar, and will want to sell when the area starts to change enough.

The advantage to being "gentrified out" is that at least you get a large chunk of coin if you're a property owner! If you must flee an area due to a decline, and need to land somewhere hot, you end up losing a ton of money.

Old 04-29-2010, 06:35 PM

302 posts, read 453,064 times
Meh, when I was in Avondale, there was nothing too special about it other than Kuma's and Hot Doug's. Oh, and the cabbie prostitution ring being run across the street. It was fun to be there with friends, but I moved out last year, alot because there wasn't too much to do.

Old 04-30-2010, 08:12 AM

plenty of truth to both of those posts, no doubt.

it all really hinges on what happens to Milwaukee Ave north of Diversey, IMO. if night life is encouraged (ie, permits change hands), anything *could* happen, right now it's a vacuum - and nature & gentrifiers both abhor a vacuum.

Old 05-20-2010, 12:47 PM

and, with the groundbreaking at the old Sachs building, the controversy returns!

City Roomâ„¢ - News In Brief - As Artist Lofts Go In, Supportive Housing Waits (http://www.chicagopublicradio.org/Content.aspx?audioID=42054 - broken link)

Old 10-15-2010, 12:43 PM

meanwhile, the real artists in Avondale keep on chuggin:

Avondale neighborhood Artwalk | Chicago Artists Resource

Old 08-19-2013, 11:17 AM

158 posts, read 302,337 times
Avondale has alot going for it. It is near two EL stops on it's Western side one at Kimball and Belmont and another by Addison and the Expressway just east of Pulaski. It also has Old Irving right to the North. It is a majority Latino now but it still has a large Polish presence which it has had for over a century. The key for any gentrifying is access to the EL and Avondale has that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago