Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 03:31 PM

226 posts, read 979,729 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by surlycue View Post
^^No, that is your registration renewal. You must renew that by your birthday each year and it is the national standard, not exclusive to Chicago.
I don't think it's a national standard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2009, 03:32 PM

226 posts, read 979,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
how does a city sticker look like? orange? where is it placed? someone said $5 from a currency exchange store? is this good for how long? 1 year?

Old 06-24-2009, 03:33 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingsomewhere View Post
ok. i've never seen a ticketer/cop wait for anyone pull out of their rented garage to give a ticket to. that's creepy.
Who the hell said anything about a cop waiting for someone to pull out of their rented garage?

Old 06-24-2009, 03:36 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
how does a city sticker look like? orange? where is it placed? someone said $5 from a currency exchange store? is this good for how long? 1 year?
You should be able to find the information you're looking for here.

Old 06-24-2009, 03:39 PM

1,912 posts, read 5,445,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
You should be able to find the information you're looking for here.
LMGTFY: simplifying passive-aggression since 2008!

Old 06-25-2009, 08:15 AM

5,288 posts, read 8,878,994 times
Quote:
Really? Well I would be renting the garage, why do I need to buy a city sticker? That's like getting screwed twice isn't it? I rent a garage and have to pay for a city sticker? I don't have a city sticker, I just find free parking on the side streets when available right now, no garage renting yet. In winter, maybe.
looks like I was right after all.

again, City stickers are not for permission to park- they are for permission for City residents to operate a specific motor vehicle.

what really chaps my hide (and why they are so expensive, and our insurance is as well) is how many transplants here think that as they keep their out-of-state plates that they don't need to buy the City sticker.

you want to solve our revenue problem? get a cop out to work the Whole Foods parking lot in Lincoln Park, that guy or gal could bring in thousands a day without breaking a sweat.

Old 06-25-2009, 11:10 AM

131 posts, read 356,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
looks like I was right after all.

again, City stickers are not for permission to park- they are for permission for City residents to operate a specific motor vehicle.

what really chaps my hide (and why they are so expensive, and our insurance is as well) is how many transplants here think that as they keep their out-of-state plates that they don't need to buy the City sticker.

you want to solve our revenue problem? get a cop out to work the Whole Foods parking lot in Lincoln Park, that guy or gal could bring in thousands a day without breaking a sweat.
I dunno...if the officer had done this the past couple of days I think he or she would have definitely broken a sweat.

Old 06-25-2009, 11:12 AM

5,525 posts, read 13,950,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
I must confess I lived in the city of Chicago for 8 years with out of state license plates. It was fairly common to see lots of cars with out of state plates in my neighborhood (Hyde Park.) Over that time period I got many parking tickets, most of which I never paid, but never got booted. I even got towed twice and didn't have a problem recovering the car from the city pound (other than coughing up the dough.)

I wouldn't recommend doing this these days, however. I'm still not sure how I got away with it.

Old 06-25-2009, 11:31 AM

968 posts, read 2,665,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sukwoo View Post
I must confess I lived in the city of Chicago for 8 years with out of state license plates. It was fairly common to see lots of cars with out of state plates in my neighborhood (Hyde Park.) Over that time period I got many parking tickets, most of which I never paid, but never got booted. I even got towed twice and didn't have a problem recovering the car from the city pound (other than coughing up the dough.)

I wouldn't recommend doing this these days, however. I'm still not sure how I got away with it.
I think it all goes with residency laws, if you are allowed keep your 'home state' drivers license and registration. Don't know for sure if Illinois has a full time out of state student exemption ( as they might with military active duty ) ..Hyde Park does have a lot of Out of State plates ( my roommate kept an expired Nova Scotia plate for a year and was never cited , even when pulled over !!) .. That being said, there are state laws around this both for vehicle registration and drivers licenses, and if the state doesn't catch you, chances are your insurance company will politely but firmly ask you to do this ...
I wonder if the city accounted for out of state plate numbers and state abbreviations in the systems that allow the City Stickers to now have the plate number and make/model of the car .. Uhh ohhh ..

Old 06-25-2009, 12:23 PM

5,288 posts, read 8,878,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sukwoo View Post

I don't think it's a big deal in the micro-sense (in the big picture I think City residents get screwed) for you in that case, unless - and it's a BIG unless - you get in an accident and your insurance company starts asking questions.

I knew of just such a case in the mid-90s, where a friend of mine had IN plates, even though she had a lease and was working in Chicago- the insurance companies are of course always looking for a reason not to pay a claim, and the logic (I assume) is that you are pulling a fast one by paying the lower rates associated with living in a smaller, less-risky/congested area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago