Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 09:12 PM

107 posts, read 142,494 times

Advertisements

^^ theres not a lot of poverty in uptown man! what the heck is wrong with you people?
You obviously dont know anything about uptown to say that.
A "mixed bag"? if thats your way of saying its diverse in every way, then yes, it is a mix of people, but you can walk down any street and nothing will even be close ..ah.

why do I even bother with your type.

And Old Town is basically a that one street that yes, is just a south part of lincoln park, no real difference in anything really. same kind of people and places. all the same. a piece of the suburbs in the city. a soft spot. if you want to be "safe", go here and take pictures, in uptown I wouldnt be so surprised if someone grabbed your $400.00 camera and ran into an alley. Youd deserve it though, for reasons I think you should figure out yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2008, 10:07 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,792,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDoe2008 View Post
^^ theres not a lot of poverty in uptown man! what the heck is wrong with you people?
You obviously dont know anything about uptown to say that.
A "mixed bag"? if thats your way of saying its diverse in every way, then yes, it is a mix of people, but you can walk down any street and nothing will even be close ..ah.
Uh, yeah. I live in Uptown, you knucklehead (note the "Location" thing next to my name). And Uptown has some of the highest concentrations of low-income housing on the North Side. In central Uptown, almost half of the residents lived beneath the poverty line when the 2000 census was taken.

But I don't know anything about Uptown...

I'm starting to think you don't even live in Chicago.

Old 06-23-2008, 10:39 PM

you win.

Last edited by JohnDoe2008; 06-23-2008 at 11:25 PM..

Old 06-23-2008, 10:42 PM

you win

Last edited by JohnDoe2008; 06-23-2008 at 11:25 PM..

Old 06-23-2008, 10:59 PM

Quote:
so you live in the same neighborhood your bashing, have you heard the saying
dont **** where you eat. You know what it means?

I liked uptown better in the 90s, when it was so bad you would never see certain kinds of people or stores like starbucks on wilson, hah, i couldnt belive it when they opened that up.

I call them complainers,spoiled, gentrifiers, any word you can think of probably fits the description.

I havent seen anyone starving, so I dont see any poverty.

Homeless are really crack heads.

Im in uptown every other day, been like that forever too.

I can write Vietnam in my location it wont mean anything.
That's true insight.

You attack me for saying that Uptown and Old Town are very different places, which is about the most benign statement I could think of to describe Uptown. Uptown is a mixed bag. It's got a little of everyone. That's not a slam.

Old 06-23-2008, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Oh and uptown also has one of the, if not the, highest population density in chicago, so the crime concentration really doesnt mean much.
Who said anything about crime? You're the guy warning about someone's camera getting stolen...

Old 06-23-2008, 11:04 PM

ok Im done.
You win.

Old 06-24-2008, 12:49 PM

5,985 posts, read 13,123,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
OK so I saw somebody do a comparison of neighborhoods in NYC with neighborhoods in SF and I thought it might be interesting to make the comparison between NYC and Chicago. This is a rough sketch of what I was thinking...

NYC........Chicago
Downtown and Midtown..............Loop and Streeterville/New East/Mag Mile
SoHo............River North
TriBeCa .............South Loop
DUMBO.............West Loop
NoHo...................River West
NoLIta.............Printer's Row
East Village..............Wicker Park
Lower East Side..............East Village
Williamsburg.................Ukrainian Village
Long Island City....................Pilsen
West Village..................Bucktown
Chelsea..................Lakeview (east of Racine south of Addison)
Greenwich Village...............Lincoln Park (north of Fullerton)
Park Slope.....................Lincoln Park (south of Fullerton)
Upper West Side/Columbia..........Hyde Park/U. of Chicago
Upper East Side.............Gold Coast
Brooklyn Heights...............Old Town
Chinatown...............Chinatown
Morningside Heights...............Logan Square
East Harlem................Humboldt Park
Harlem..................Bronzeville
Bed-Stuy.............Uptown
Astoria...............UIC (?-this one is iffy)

So let me know what you think, I'm also missing out on some Chicago neighborhoods that could be thrown in there like East Garfield Park, Edgewater, Ravenswood, Andersonville, Lincoln Square, Roger's Park, Kenwood, United Center, etc. I just don't know what their NYC equivalent would be.
After reading the wikipedia article on Old Town, (and from what my parents stories) maybe Old Town might compare better with New Yorks Greenwich Village, since Old Town was the center of the hippie/bohemian counter culture in Chicago, like Greenwich Village was for New York.

Also a few others.

I've read about Hells Kitchen in a book. A very rough area right next the where all the action of Midtown Manhattan is. Only has gotten better due to very close proximity of wealth. Kind of sounds like Chicagos Cabrini Green maybe? In fact in the old days Cabrini Green was called Little Hell and was very poor.

I watch King of Queens once in awhile. After figuring out what that Giant globe was, and learning that is was from their 1960s world fair. Maybe that might compare a little with Chicagos Jackson park.

One more: the relative isolation and abundance of large suburban lots and lots of open space amidst industry on the far far south side: Beverly, Morgan Park, Pullman, Hegewisch. That might have SLIGHT similarities to the way New Yorkers view Staten Island. That sounds like a stretch.

Fun thread anyways.

Old 02-28-2009, 02:11 PM

633 posts, read 1,442,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
After reading the wikipedia article on Old Town, (and from what my parents stories) maybe Old Town might compare better with New Yorks Greenwich Village, since Old Town was the center of the hippie/bohemian counter culture in Chicago, like Greenwich Village was for New York.

Also a few others.

I've read about Hells Kitchen in a book. A very rough area right next the where all the action of Midtown Manhattan is. Only has gotten better due to very close proximity of wealth. Kind of sounds like Chicagos Cabrini Green maybe? In fact in the old days Cabrini Green was called Little Hell and was very poor.

I watch King of Queens once in awhile. After figuring out what that Giant globe was, and learning that is was from their 1960s world fair. Maybe that might compare a little with Chicagos Jackson park.

One more: the relative isolation and abundance of large suburban lots and lots of open space amidst industry on the far far south side: Beverly, Morgan Park, Pullman, Hegewisch. That might have SLIGHT similarities to the way New Yorkers view Staten Island. That sounds like a stretch.

Fun thread anyways.
This is a fun thread! That's a good comparison, between certain suburbanized South Side neighborhoods and Staten Island. However, I think the far Northwest Side would be a better comparison. Very calm, residential. Bungalows, ranchers. Mostly second- and third- generation Mexicans, though. I wonder if that breaks the comparison?

Old 02-28-2009, 02:29 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,612,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitown2pa View Post
... I think the far Northwest Side would be a better comparison. Very calm, residential. Bungalows, ranchers. Mostly second- and third- generation Mexicans, though. I wonder if that breaks the comparison?
The far northwest side of Chicago is not compromised mostly of 2nd and 3rd generation Mexicans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago