Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2009, 12:50 PM

4,006 posts, read 6,042,873 times

Advertisements

Apparently, a couple NU students dressed up in blackface (one was Bob Marley) for Halloween and their pics end up on the web. This has created a big hub bub and even promoted a meeting to discuss racial issues at NU?

What do you think? I think they are blowing this way out of proportion and as long as the costumes weren't done with the intention to offend blacks. Seems like some people are just looking for an opportunity to be offended. What say you?

Students in blackface causing controversy at NU - wgntv.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2009, 12:58 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,202,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
Apparently, a couple NU students dressed up in blackface (one was Bob Marley) for Halloween and their pics end up on the web. This has created a big hub bub and even promoted a meeting to discuss racial issues at NU?

What do you think? I think they are blowing this way out of proportion and as long as the costumes weren't done with the intention to offend blacks. Seems like some people are just looking for an opportunity to be offended. What say you?

Yes it is a little offensive. Blackface was part of the Jim Crow era. For one thing Bob Marley is light complexion, so putting on blackface was definately uncalled for. They should of stuck with the Marley's dreads without going the extra mile.

Old 11-06-2009, 01:19 PM

527 posts, read 1,245,915 times
He's a poor college student. Maybe he couldn't afford a better costume...

Old 11-06-2009, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basekamp View Post
Poor is right...$51,000 year at NU!

Old 11-06-2009, 01:33 PM

4,688 posts, read 10,112,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post

Normally I'd agree with you. But the kid was clearly applying his costume as a nod to blackface, the racially offensive version, and not just darkening his skin to look like a famous guy who had darker skin.

Old 11-06-2009, 01:38 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,636,074 times
I am offended by this thread to tell you the truth.

Old 11-06-2009, 01:45 PM

3,645 posts, read 8,317,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basekamp View Post
or he could just be himself for halloween

Old 11-06-2009, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
I am offended by this thread to tell you the truth.
That gave me a chuckle.
Sort of like the Seinfeld episode where Jerry's dentist converts to Judism and then starts telling Jewish jokes. Jerry goes to a Catholic priest and explains that he's offended
Priest: "and this offends you as a Jewish person"
Jerry: "No, it offends me as a comedian!"

Old 11-06-2009, 03:28 PM

4 posts, read 10,406 times
I think the label "blackface" shouldn't even be remotely applied. They're not going "in blackface" for the sake of going "in blackface." Their costumes were Serena Williams and Usain Bolt (not Bob Marley, as several posters on other boards have pointed out).

Dressing as a celebrity on Halloween, regardless of race, has been going on. So we're now saying that all races are now restricted to dressing as characters of another race, color or creed?

So does that mean only African-Americans dressed with pointy teeth and a cape MUST be Blackula, but cannot be Dracula? They're kids who dressed as celebrities. Would there be so much outrage if they used brown paint instead of black paint? I'm sure there wouldn't be, and the word "blackface" is incorrectly labeled amongst these kids.

Seriously, this is blown way out of proportion. If you want to dress as Serena Williams, and you're white ... what are your options?

I guess we're going to identify EVERY SINGLE AMERICAN who went as Pocohontas and label them offensive because they didn't have to paint their body a color that isn't their own?

The whole series of complaints and exaggerated media reports is what's offensive to me. I bet if you asked any of them what "blackface" was, they wouldn't have a reply, because it, at least to me, their intent is hardly that to be called racist. Maybe in poor taste with such crappy costumes, but racist? Please.

Old 11-06-2009, 04:37 PM

1,912 posts, read 5,448,946 times
I think all of the people in this post defending blackface must be way too young to understand the years of systematic racism that it represents. Just because they weren't singing old man river doesn't mean it isn't grossly inappropriate. You can wear a costume and emulate the person by dressing like them, getting a wig, gesturing, etc. Even if the college kids did not intend offense they are educated enough to understand the implications of shoe polishing their faces.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: