Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2009, 08:14 PM

760 posts, read 1,272,057 times

Advertisements

Like anything, it depends on intent. When Chris Rock uses the n word, not racist, no bad intent, if Limbaugh were to use the n word, probably racist. So unless you have some insight into what the students views on race are, it's hard to determine intent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2009, 09:08 PM

2,189 posts, read 7,054,628 times
Wow, it was just a costume.

I guess these people should not come down here for the mardi grass or they would be ticked off.

Here are a few pics I took this year for the Zulu king and Queen greeting the Rex King and Queen.

busta
Attached Thumbnails
Were you offended by Northwestern blackface?-img_5210.jpg   Were you offended by Northwestern blackface?-img_5213.jpg   Were you offended by Northwestern blackface?-img_5216.jpg   Were you offended by Northwestern blackface?-img_5258.jpg  

Old 11-06-2009, 09:37 PM

1,817 posts, read 4,928,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tb4000 View Post
Wow, the responses in this thread are astounding. And I used to wonder why some guys I know avoided having white friends.
What do you mean by that? Nobody on hear has said anything hurtful or shocking. Some white people dont see anything wrong with it. Personally, I dont see anything wrong with it either. That said, I understand it upsets and / or angers a certain amount of the population, so I would not partake.

Old 11-06-2009, 10:26 PM

760 posts, read 1,272,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skipcromer View Post
What do you mean by that? Nobody on hear has said anything hurtful or shocking. Some white people dont see anything wrong with it. Personally, I dont see anything wrong with it either. That said, I understand it upsets and / or angers a certain amount of the population, so I would not partake.
Reminds me of the Chief Illiniwek controversy, my brother who is an alumni of U of I told me he didn't understand the fuss and stated that he was not personally offended. To which I replied, "no shyt Sherlock, you are not Native American, no one expects you to be offended"

Old 11-07-2009, 01:11 AM

16,394 posts, read 30,296,637 times
If half as much outrage was focused on the mediocrity of inner-city public schools in the US as is focused on "Who dressed in blackface?" or "Who said the "N-word"?", we might make some progress in this society.

Old 11-07-2009, 01:53 AM

86 posts, read 312,488 times
Interesting sidebar:

The blackface story received ZERO mention in the local paper (Evanston Roundtable) and blog (Evanston Now).

Old 11-07-2009, 02:39 AM

4,027 posts, read 7,292,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyPants View Post
Reminds me of the Chief Illiniwek controversy, my brother who is an alumni of U of I told me he didn't understand the fuss and stated that he was not personally offended. To which I replied, "no shyt Sherlock, you are not Native American, no one expects you to be offended"
That's not the same situation though.

Old 11-07-2009, 02:59 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,765,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thePR View Post
That's not the same situation though.

Yeah, for one thing it was other Indians that destroyed and dispersed the Illini, not the Americans.

Old 11-07-2009, 03:07 AM

4,027 posts, read 7,292,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Yeah, for one thing it was other Indians that destroyed and dispersed the Illini, not the Americans.
I was thinking more that the Sioux sold U of I the regalia and basically gave them permission and the fact that the Illinois are all gone so they couldn't offend the tribe that their team is named after and the tribe from which they got the regalia sold them it and okayed it. So feelings of other Native Americans shouldn't have mattered because they were not from the same tribe just as, although Germans and French are both European, they are not the same.

As far as the Northwestern situation, it wasn't the best idea but let's get on with our lives.

Old 11-07-2009, 06:09 AM

2,472 posts, read 4,215,268 times
When I first read the title, I thought this thread was about black north face jackets, which are pretty offensive but warm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: