Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2009, 09:59 PM

49 posts, read 137,587 times

Advertisements

OK so after 4 years in my studio condo in Lakeview...I'm looking to upgrade. Got some good leads and need to follow up on them. Just wanted to see what everyone's opinions are on these locations. While none of them are going to be at all like Lakeview (which is fine), I just want to make sure I won't be in over my head. All are very nice properties and only a few years old. Just want to know about the overall area. I work afternoons and won't get home until around midnight every night. I am a 26 year old male.

2420 w. Iowa

1527 n. Talman

1816 n. Spaulding
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2009, 10:02 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,597,919 times
There is plenty of info already written about these areas in this forum. Just search for West Town or Humboldt Park.

1816 N. Spaulding-Forget about it.

And by god george; it is Humboldt Park-not Humbolt Park!

Old 09-27-2009, 10:22 PM

1,912 posts, read 5,443,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
1816 N. Spaulding-Forget about it.

I know it's west of Kedzie and all that but that block around Cortland is actually pretty good. I'm assuming that OP is looking at the new condos on that block. I wouldn't go west of there as Homan and North Av is pretty sticky but that residential stretch as well as Sawyer are 90% owners. I have a couple lily white friends that get by very easily over there. My main concern for the OP would be parking. You will obviously be driving since the El is a helluva walk from there. Will you have gated/covered parking? Any nicer car parked on the street there is likely to at some point be vandalized or stolen and a number of issues can occur if you end up parking a block or more from your house and have to walk to your door after midnight.

Old 09-27-2009, 10:25 PM

In terms of safety I'd say the Talman address is pretty good but being on the border of two neighborhoods, be it Ukie Village (the Iowa address) or Wicker Park, you will have some turf dispute issues like what went down on Armitage and Richmond in early August. As with everything else, be street smart, don't draw unwanted attention to yourself and you will be fine.

Old 09-27-2009, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by surlycue View Post
In terms of safety I'd say the Talman address is pretty good but being on the border of two neighborhoods, be it Ukie Village (the Iowa address) or Wicker Park...
The Talman address is in Humboldt Park. It is really not very close to Ukrainian Village at all. The border with Ukrainian Village is almost a mile away. The Talman address also is a block and a half east of California and two and a half blocks west of the border (Western) with Wicker Park.

Old 09-27-2009, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by surlycue View Post
...I have a couple lily white friends that get by very easily over there...

Old 09-27-2009, 10:45 PM

Uh, I said, pretty clearly too, that the Talman address was near the border with Wicker Park and the Iowa address was near the border with Ukranian Village and that being near the border of any two disputed areas will always have implications.

Old 09-27-2009, 10:51 PM

49 posts, read 137,587 times
Thanks for the response. I figured the Spaulding address was iffy...however it might be ok. The building is gated and has a parking spot available. All of them do. The Iowa address has one parking spot of the alley that is open. That may be an issue. The Talman address has a garage space, which is nice. I've also found a few nice spots in Bucktown/Wicker Park, but those areas are fine. Thanks again.

Old 09-28-2009, 11:43 AM

894 posts, read 2,380,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brahern02 View Post
OK so after 4 years in my studio condo in Lakeview...I'm looking to upgrade. Got some good leads and need to follow up on them. Just wanted to see what everyone's opinions are on these locations. While none of them are going to be at all like Lakeview (which is fine), I just want to make sure I won't be in over my head. All are very nice properties and only a few years old. Just want to know about the overall area. I work afternoons and won't get home until around midnight every night. I am a 26 year old male.

2420 w. Iowa

1527 n. Talman

1816 n. Spaulding
Iowa= Dragons hood "Iowa Village"
Talman= MLD hood..you are right by T-dub
Spaulding= IG's Devil Side

Old 09-29-2009, 11:25 AM
ncc

95 posts, read 304,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brahern02 View Post

2420 w. Iowa

1527 n. Talman

1816 n. Spaulding
Don't move West of Humbolt BLVD/Sacramento BLVD. If you Can, stay East of California! Just drive around the areas during the day, and see if you like it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: