Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2011, 01:34 AM

9 posts, read 12,300 times

Advertisements

I am not very familiar with the Chicago area, but looking at possible places to live. I think I found my dream job in Hanover Park, but I really do not want to live in the suburbs. I am single and in my early twenties. From what I have been reading West Town sounds like a pretty cool place, where there is lots to do. I am looking for affordable rent, or a $700-$800 studio (I can pay more if need be) that's not anywhere too unsafe, and I want to be somewhere where there are things to do, I like live music, museums, dancing, etc. And I want to meet people. Is it crazy to try to commute from West Town/Ukrainian Village to Hanover Park? The metra's website said from Western Avenue (I'm looking at apartments close to this station) to Hanover Park would be about 50 minutes, plus I'd have a ten minute walk to work. Is 50 minutes accurate? I thought it might not be so bad, 50 minutes to drink coffee and read the morning paper...any suggestions would be great, including any recommendations for places to live other than West Town.

Much thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2011, 06:35 AM

2,884 posts, read 4,992,425 times
It is often very difficult in the suburbs to walk to work. I am not familiar with that Metra station, but sometimes there are not sidewalks along the busy streets. If we ever get significant snow this winter, you could be slogging through unshoveled snow.

Old 12-27-2011, 10:05 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,269,902 times
This should be moved to the Chicago Suburbs or Chicago forum.

Old 12-27-2011, 11:43 AM

3,569 posts, read 7,203,997 times
I wouldn't reccomend it.
Id say live western fringes of the city

Old 12-27-2011, 11:43 AM

439 posts, read 954,963 times
The Metra schedule should be pretty accurate. As for the walk use Google streetview to determine the walkability of the area. On that line I believe the only station other than the downtown one is Western Ave, so I'd really only look in that immediate area.

Old 12-27-2011, 11:47 PM

9 posts, read 12,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
This should be moved to the Chicago Suburbs or Chicago forum.
I know, as soon as I posted I realized what I did. And I didn't know how to move it to the Chicago forum. But thanks to whoever did.

Also, thanks for the tips. I'm not sure how the walk to work in Hanover Park would be, but I did notice a lot sidewalks in the area. And I was looking at areas near the Western Station for an apartment. Does anyone know anything about any other areas on the MD-W line that are fun places to live?

Old 12-28-2011, 08:59 AM

439 posts, read 954,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k-peanuts View Post
I know, as soon as I posted I realized what I did. And I didn't know how to move it to the Chicago forum. But thanks to whoever did.

Also, thanks for the tips. I'm not sure how the walk to work in Hanover Park would be, but I did notice a lot sidewalks in the area. And I was looking at areas near the Western Station for an apartment. Does anyone know anything about any other areas on the MD-W line that are fun places to live?
Unless you want to live near or in downtown then there aren't any.

Old 01-13-2012, 10:34 AM

77 posts, read 300,820 times
Funny I used to live around Western Ave and now live near Hanover Park. My guess is you would work near the Schaumburg station and not the Hanover Park station? If so it is very walkable. Getting off near the baseball stadium you would walk through a community of town homes and cross Gary ave and into the industrial area of hanover Park. Lots of side walks and very doable. I used to take Western ave Merta to Wood Dale for work very easy relaxing ride and not crowded at all catching the 7 or 720 train. Try it out over the weekend and see oh it feels.....if you don't want to walk you might even be able to take a bike on the train with you and ride to work. I did this back then.

Old 01-13-2012, 10:54 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,700,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k-peanuts View Post
I am not very familiar with the Chicago area, but looking at possible places to live. I think I found my dream job in Hanover Park, but I really do not want to live in the suburbs. I am single and in my early twenties. From what I have been reading West Town sounds like a pretty cool place, where there is lots to do. I am looking for affordable rent, or a $700-$800 studio (I can pay more if need be) that's not anywhere too unsafe, and I want to be somewhere where there are things to do, I like live music, museums, dancing, etc. And I want to meet people. Is it crazy to try to commute from West Town/Ukrainian Village to Hanover Park? The metra's website said from Western Avenue (I'm looking at apartments close to this station) to Hanover Park would be about 50 minutes, plus I'd have a ten minute walk to work. Is 50 minutes accurate? I thought it might not be so bad, 50 minutes to drink coffee and read the morning paper...any suggestions would be great, including any recommendations for places to live other than West Town.

Much thanks!
Seems very doable, and much better than living out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago