Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 07:01 AM

622 posts, read 1,196,588 times

Advertisements

I haven't gotten a ticket for no sticker yet. I got 2 for no front plate and i watched an animal control "officer" give me a ticket for parking w/o a sticker at a park in Berwyn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2010, 07:46 AM

5,288 posts, read 8,879,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiestate View Post
That's just hilarious. I suppose we should learn by example and follow our elected officials lead about moral behavior.
It's hilarious to pull your own weight?

What does this have to do with politicians? You're either a good citizen, or a deadbeat.

OK, most of us are somewhere in-between, but this is a no-brainer.

Old 06-09-2010, 08:27 AM

2,418 posts, read 6,255,850 times
I buy the sticker on the off chance that I do get caught. I would rather pay $75 only once, as opposed to the $75 ticket plus the $75 sticker. I think my neighbors agree; when I walk down my street, 90% of cars have them.

Old 06-09-2010, 08:36 AM

2,686 posts, read 7,871,502 times
I saved 300 by not getting a sticker in 2006-2010 and was never ticketed once but I would park my car different places everyday as I parked on the street in HP in Chicago. I may end up getting a sticker in Oak Park as parking permits are required but have not yet as I park in a garage.

Old 06-09-2010, 08:59 AM

Let's think this through.

An entire neighborhood of deadbeats like Humboldt1 = streets in physical disarray, no salt in the winter, no plowing in the winter.

This to me sounds like the definition of GHETTO.

As to the OP's lamentation that taxes/fees are so high - well, you need look no further than people in Chicago who don't pay their share. Basic math here. Dividing the costs of essential city services by "x" is a lot cheaper than "x - the deadbeat share."

yeesh. I can't believe people are this myopic.

Old 06-09-2010, 09:31 AM

48 posts, read 89,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humboldt1 View Post
Again, the key is to register your car outside of Chicago. It keeps you off their radar.
If someone, god forbid, slammed into your parked car and your insurance does its due diligence, they may not cover you if they find out your primary residence is Chicago. I had this thought when I moved to the city since my car insurance was going to double. I have a co-worker that worked for the fraud dept of a major insurance company and said that pretty much constitutes fraud.

Old 06-09-2010, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaman1204 View Post
If someone, god forbid, slammed into your parked car and your insurance does its due diligence, they may not cover you if they find out your primary residence is Chicago. I had this thought when I moved to the city since my car insurance was going to double. I have a co-worker that worked for the fraud dept of a major insurance company and said that pretty much constitutes fraud.
oh yeah, forgot about that aspect...

I had a friend who kept her parents' address in Highland Park (for the car insurance specifically) who had the same problem. Hard to claim you don't live in the City when you both work *for* the City and have a City address.

She couldn't understand why I wasn't sympathetic, but this is one of those "townie" things - why should Chicago natives (as we don't have other addresses to use) get screwed paying more for insurance, taxes, etc. than other people who live here?

Old 06-09-2010, 02:23 PM

2,686 posts, read 7,871,502 times
You guys may not like it but I had a wreck in Chicago 2 years ago driving back from downtown. My insurance covered it and provided a shop in the city that did the work. All it cost me was the deductible. I still pay 900 per year to insure my car (went down with my new car from 950 before).

Old 06-09-2010, 02:52 PM

Quote:
You guys may not like it but I had a wreck in Chicago 2 years ago driving back from downtown. My insurance covered it and provided a shop in the city that did the work. All it cost me was the deductible. I still pay 900 per year to insure my car (went down with my new car from 950 before).
It has nothing to do with my opinion, it's illegal, end of story.

What you're doing isn't much different than the "freeloaders" you complain about who get welfare, you're passing a financial burden onto the larger society.

Old 06-11-2010, 10:21 AM

27 posts, read 110,771 times
Quote:
I still have my car insured and registered thru Itasca.
Bad move on your insurance, if you have an accident and they find out your primary place of residence is not where you're insured from, they can deny your claim
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago