Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 02:32 AM

118 posts, read 459,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
I did not attend a Big Ten, but your mom sure has attended to my big Ten.

...and very nicely at that if I may say so myself.
hha thats hilarious
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2009, 04:50 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,831,732 times
I must admit that this is my first visit to this thread and while I know that HCC also came generated a "hate Chicago" thread, I'm not sure why there is so much animosity here towards him.

I say that in the sense that I have never felt threatened by anyone who who sees New York as the end-all-to-be-all of cities and views Chicago in its shaddow. Instead, I just laugh off such thinking for the absurdity and ridiculous hubris it is.

I'm secure being a Chicagoan. I love the place. To me (and strictly my opinion), no city in America can stand up to its ability to offer pure urban pleasure in an inviting and manageable setting.

The Chicago of 2009 is not an American city that is part of some absurd hierachial system that puts New York on top with everything else far below. That old cover of the New Yorker is long gone into the dustbin of history. Chicago is anything but an American city when it plays on a stage with Tokyo, Rio, and Madrid in its efforts to win the 2016 Olympics....and being the odds-on-favorite to do so. HCC's comments don't offend me because he may suggest that Chicago takes a back seat to New York because personally I don't think Chicago takes a back seat to any city on the planet.

Old 06-11-2009, 07:58 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,176,801 times
First of all, we've dealt with this guy before, just under different screen names.

Second, it ain't what he says so much as the way he says it and his pathological need to keep saying it over and over and over. I will never understand people who take something they hate and make it the central focus of their life when there's no practical reason to do so except to be a prick.

Old 06-11-2009, 07:59 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,196,693 times
It really had nothing to do with the subject, it was all the aura that was put out and the handling of the initial comments from people.

Old 06-11-2009, 08:00 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,196,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Sure but I can't do Cesar's any more. I had six of their 'ritas back in March or so. I'm still not entirely sure how I got home or what happened to my phone. At any rate, I went back there last month and it was all I could do to finish one, all the while my body saying "aw crap, don't feed me any more of this stuff please."
6 of them? I hope they weren't the mega. I can do two of those and at that point i have a perm smile on my face and skip through the rest of my evening. The little test tube of gasoline "tequila" they give you at the end doesn't help anything.

Old 06-11-2009, 08:04 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,176,801 times
Yep, it was megas. And I was mega-toasty that night. Got an earful from the missus the next morning, let me tell you.

Old 06-11-2009, 08:17 AM

35 posts, read 113,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
Shoulder checks.
Sports bars.
Ill-conceived cross-orientation dating.
Thuggishness.
Beer.
Daley.

And, for those of you playing along at home... Ditka.

Seen enough, HCC? Do us a favor and jog on.
CarolinaBredChicagoan likes "Daley" eeek! That's what I don't like about Chicago.

Old 06-11-2009, 08:33 AM

1,966 posts, read 6,076,182 times
Well, you probably don't like the same things I do, so it's sort of silly to present a list of "objectively" good things about Chicago. There is no such list. Since you asked, though, I imagined myself moving and the following are the first ten or so things that i had nostalgia over:

The Hopleaf in Andersonville
Midnight coffee and dessert at Fox and Obel in River East
Picnics in the Lincoln Park Zoo with the kids
63rd Street beach on a hot July day
The CSO
Cook outs on the beach at the South Shore Cultural
Season tickets at The Lyric Opera
The Joffrey Ballet
Drive across the river at night on LSD
afternoon organ concerts at Rockerfeller Chapel in Hyde Park
Evening walks through the winding streets of Beverly
Cupcakes with the kids at sweet mandy bs in Lincoln Park
Taking the L to Wrigley Field
Running along the lake
Exploring neighborhoods, particularly on the south side
Bixler Playout in Hyde Park -- meet someone interesting every time I go while kids play
Doc films in Hyde Park
Sampling a new great restaurant every month
Spending a summer day in Evanston

Old 06-11-2009, 09:48 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,621,105 times
This is a mess of a thread -- I can't delete it all. Keep it civil with one another (and each other's mothers), don't talk about banned members and try to vaguely hover around the topic at hand mmkay?

Old 06-11-2009, 12:04 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,109,500 times
I love the fact that Chicago has so many unique neighborhoods, a lot of polish people, nightlife, architecture, layout of the city, nice high speeds on the freeway, The L, Da Bears, Da White Sox, The vibe of the whole city, the fact it's only a hour train ride from Milwaukee and who can forget the nice skyline of Chicago easily the 2nd best skyline in the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago