Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 03:38 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,792,528 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
For something a little different and off the beaten path, check out Arun's (http://www.arunsthai.com/home.htm - broken link), one of the most renowned Thai restaurants in the U.S.
I'll second Arun's. I've been there twice, though, and the second time the menu was pretty much the same as the first (it's a price fixed menu with something like twelve courses).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2009, 09:09 PM

33 posts, read 82,101 times
I second Alinea. Or Charlie Trotters. I've had friends go to these restaurants and have been extremely pleased and blown away with the service and the food. Both are pricey and Alinea only turns tables once a night because it takes a bit of time (approx. 4-5 hours) for dinner so make sure you have nothing big planned afterward.

Old 05-07-2009, 09:37 PM

298 posts, read 579,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
NoMi has great views and an outdoor terrace. And the ambiance is quite nice (though somewhat modern). The prices are high, but nothing like Charlie Trotters or Tru. I'm not sure what you mean by "attitude" with the service. If you want waiters who know nothing about food and wine, go to some crappy steak house or something.
Thanks for all the input! The recommendations here have definitely been on my radar so I"ll investigate further. As for "attitude", I don't want a waitperson who is bitter that they didn't get cast in "Blue Man Group" and feels bothered they have to wait tables to earn a living. If knowledge of food and wine is communicated in a sophisticated and not overly friendly manner, I'm all for it.

Old 05-07-2009, 09:53 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adele115 View Post
Thanks for all the input! The recommendations here have definitely been on my radar so I"ll investigate further. As for "attitude", I don't want a waitperson who is bitter that they didn't get cast in "Blue Man Group" and feels bothered they have to wait tables to earn a living. If knowledge of food and wine is communicated in a sophisticated and not overly friendly manner, I'm all for it.
You won't find entertainment flunkys at the truly gourmet restaurants. The waitstaff there are usually people who intend to wait tables professionally, as in it's their intended career, not just a waystop on the way to something different. Waitstaff at these places are stringently screened and they are very well-paid.

Old 05-08-2009, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mands86 View Post
I second Alinea. Or Charlie Trotters. I've had friends go to these restaurants and have been extremely pleased and blown away with the service and the food. Both are pricey and Alinea only turns tables once a night because it takes a bit of time (approx. 4-5 hours) for dinner so make sure you have nothing big planned afterward.
If adele truly wants the best in Chicago, Charlie Trotter's, Tru, and Alinea are surely at the top of the pack. But they're also at the top of the price scale, and I thought she was looking for something a bit cheaper.

Old 05-09-2009, 06:22 AM

298 posts, read 579,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
If adele truly wants the best in Chicago, Charlie Trotter's, Tru, and Alinea are surely at the top of the pack. But they're also at the top of the price scale, and I thought she was looking for something a bit cheaper.
I was excited to see 6 pages to read on this thread I started - but

I'm not looking for something cheaper - I don't mind paying if the food and experience seem worth it. Not to rag on "16" in Trump tower, but it is an example of NOT being worth it. Great views, good service, decent food, but ultimately I think it is priced for business folks who have power dinners subsidized by their respective companies. I left feeling rather "taken". I haven't tried Alinea, Nomi, or Spiagga yet, so I'll definitely look at one of those for my anniversary. I'm also interested in places that are unique and not on any "hot lists". I can view previous editions of "check,please!" but wanted to tap into any online opinions.

Old 05-09-2009, 07:29 AM

4,721 posts, read 15,615,586 times
I have been enjoying the wonderful dining scene in Chicago for a long time.I dont know if its on any "hot list" anymore, but I had my last anniversary with a cocktail at Nomi and then Ralph Laurens bar (RL) then we walked to dinner at Spiaggas overlooking Michigan ave and the food,service,atmosphere was perfect, and it was VERY romantic - the ol guy even got lucky that nite.

Old 05-09-2009, 08:01 AM

Charlie Trotter's and Tru are incredible. It up to you to decide if the price is worth it to you. You have to try both before you die or leave Chicago, however.

If you can't get in to Alinea, another place specializing in that "Molecular Gastronomy" schtick is Moto.

I've always thought the food at Blackbird was excellent for the price. But it feels like a fancy handbag boutique or something. Not exactly what I'd pick for "ambience and views", though it does have a high design feel to it.

I've never been to Everest, but it is a critic's favorite. Alpana Sing is the somellier. I've heard they have good views as well.

And of course, Rick Bayless is a Chicago gem who keeps racking up the James Beard awards. Topolobampo is his fine dining establishment, and it's incredible. Frontera Grill is good as well, but doesn't accept reservations.

Old 05-09-2009, 09:11 AM
hsw

2,144 posts, read 7,163,011 times
Alinea is phenomenal but its industrial/tech cuisine is an acquired taste that even many jaded foodies admit one needs to be in mood for to enjoy...a high-risk choice for a non-foodie IMO

Tru and Trotter are excellent, more conventional fine dining

Old 05-09-2009, 11:24 AM

1,083 posts, read 3,725,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsw View Post
Alinea is phenomenal but its industrial/tech cuisine is an acquired taste that even many jaded foodies admit one needs to be in mood for to enjoy...a high-risk choice for a non-foodie IMO

Tru and Trotter are excellent, more conventional fine dining

I don't know about Tru. The food is excellent, but I'm unable to keep a straight face when all those itty bitty courses (a large spoonful of soup is a course?) are delivered by a squad of waiters. The presentation is just too much for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago