Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 09:16 PM

2,242 posts, read 6,240,558 times

Advertisements

I hope its 4 million in the upcoming years
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2009, 09:25 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,612,634 times
^Forget 4 mil. We need 6 mil.^

Old 05-14-2009, 12:26 AM

18 posts, read 30,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
When it comes to getting your car towed, possession is 95% of the law. I don't know a single person who has ever argued with or fought a tow company and won. Once they get the grips on your car, your screwed.

Anyone know how tow companies are set up financially? Do the private ones get a contract from the city? Do they get a per-car fee?
Do the city tow trucks get a bonus for towing a certain number of cars?

I learned long ago not to challenge the towing gods. You'll lose every time. If it's a 'tow zone' but you're just running in to get a coffee, gone 2 minutes with your hazards on, too bad, they'll nail you.
I remember in 2000, I knew a couple of tow guys who worked for Private companies and they told me that when they tow a car, the city pays them $35.00 per car. I am sure it went up now. One of the companies was E&R, which was, a few years ago, being investigated for some kind of fraudulent activites I believe.

Old 05-14-2009, 07:46 AM

1,953 posts, read 4,960,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
You are wrong. I was in the area today. I looked all down La Salle at every sign on the east side of the street between Division and North. All the no parking rush hour signs were 4:00-6:30. They were not new signs either. They all were well worn.

I even took pics which I will post tomorrow.

I am not sure I believe your story now.
owned

Old 05-14-2009, 04:06 PM

33 posts, read 95,568 times
Umm... I live right across the street???? I see those signs every day?? I'm not sure where you are looking but I don't believe you are looking in the right place. AND my ticket specifically says: "TOWED AT 6:28 VIOLATION: NO PARKING 4:30pm-6:30pm" The other side of the street says no parking 7am-9am due to rush hour. I don't lie.. Thanks!!

Old 05-14-2009, 04:10 PM

33 posts, read 95,568 times
Ok or no parking 4-6:30 like you said.. I don't look at the start time I only look when I can start parking there and that is at 6:30pm. So I don't know why you wouldn't believe my story. It's the 6:30 time that matters.

Old 05-14-2009, 04:12 PM

1,953 posts, read 4,960,836 times
oh woops, my bad haha

Old 05-14-2009, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGirl33 View Post
Ok or no parking 4-6:30 like you said.. I don't look at the start time I only look when I can start parking there and that is at 6:30pm...
When you can start parking there is at 6:31 pm.

I do not believe your story.

Old 05-14-2009, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGirl33 View Post
...I'm not sure where you are looking but I don't believe you are looking in the right place...I don't lie.. Thanks!!
I will have the pics posted tomorrow night.

Old 05-22-2009, 05:22 AM

654 posts, read 1,322,937 times
Ah yes ... parking issues ... one of the many reasons I moved out of Chicago (great place to live for lifestyle, culture, entertainment, etc - but not so much on other fronts).

Some of my fave parking stories/incidents - most of these in Lakeview, where an agency (SERCO) can also write tickets - generally, I found tickets the police wrote were legit, SERCO seems to employ ticket-writing machines regardless of the law:

* The all-too-common 'street cleaning' ticket - my girlfriend saw them putting up signs the morning of the street cleaning & forgot to warn me. (Meaning no overnight warning, let alone 24 hours.) Oops. Bye-bye $50, even though I fought it - good luck in the 'guilty until proven innocent' system.

* The 'too close to hydrant' ticket. Took pictures, tape measure & all, 22 feet from hydrant, well beyond the limit. Contested, brought all evidence, only reason ticket was thrown out was because ticket was dated incorrectly.

* The same ticket above (from 2001) came back to haunt me last year - one of the proverbial straws that broke the camel's back before moving. City somehow revives a seven-year-old ticket that had been thrown out; of course I haven't kept the paperwork that long, didn't think I'd need it. I call & explain, they say they show the ticket as valid; I ask why nothing for seven years now the sudden interest in getting payment? No answer other than that the ticket is valid & overdue. I tell them to prove it or take me to court. Eventually get a letter from a collection agency posing as lawyers reminding me that this will be a 'bootable offense'. Right, after seven years of nothing, good luck collecting once I'm out of state.

* Another ticket from SERCO for 'permit not displayed' in a permit parking zone. I came bank to find this ticket & was very confused, as both my city sticker & neighborhood permit were prominently displayed in the proper place, lower corner on the passenger side of the windshield. It made more sense as I looked down the street. EVERY car I saw had a ticket! Fought it, got it thrown out, but major hassle in time & money.

* How about a ticket for 'excessive window tint' written at 10:00 at night in dark winter conditions? That was a peach. I got to take pictures of the car from all angles, had my day in (administrative) court & got it thrown out. Again, major hassle in time & money.

I firmly believe many of these are written under the assumption that many people won't take the time to fight them, as it takes time, patience & there are no guarantees of a reversal. Makes me feel all warm & fuzzy.

For the most part, I will say the police were generally fair & correct in writing tickets I received (very few) or others I knew - occasionally, there's a bad apple, but almost all my issues were with SERCO. Hmm, sounds like a common theme with some of the other issues privatizing things around the city. I'm guessing SERCO and/or its agents are compensated based on how many tickets they write or how much revenue they generate.

Over time, I grew very wary when parking, almost to the point of being paranoid. I'd always look high & low for signs/restrictions/etc - good luck to those of you still dealing with this stuff, always pay attention & watch carefully. If you incorrectly get a ticket, take pictures & document as much as you can - otherwise you're payin'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago